Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [4]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Consulting Exit Opportunities [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Good thing you're not drinking the Kool Aid haha

I have to give credit to management consultants for one thing: they are phenomenal recruiters (in fact, a good "exit option" could be getting recruited into the Church of Scientology j/k).

Whether it's undergrad or MBA recruiting, they have this way of convincing newbie students (and not the cynical ex-consultants) that if you were to enter their hallowed doors, a golden path to the executive suite awaits you, even if you get "counseled out" (read: fired) after a few years.

Which couldn't be further from the truth. Yes, there are ex-consultants at high levels, but given the ARMY of people they churn through the consulting system year after year (they hire armies of MBAs, and turnover is very high as 80-90% get leave after 2-3 years, only to be replaced by fresh faced MBAs), of course a few are going to end up in the executive suite.

The reality is, a lot of the ex-consultants I have known end up in a comparable place in many industries as other MBAs who never went into consulting at all: most end up in middle to mid-senior management -- some in strategy, some operations, product management, it runs the gamut. And once they're in industry, how fast they get promoted then is a case-by-case circumstance (individual effort, luck, strong/poor company growth, politics, etc.).

So in sum, they end up just fine. That's the positive.

Consulting is a good place to start post-MBA if you don't know what you want to do right away. And unlike investment banking (or any financial services - research, sales/trading, asset mgmt, PE, etc.) you're less likely to get pigeon-holed. In other words, while you won't exactly be anywhere close to being a CEO type after only a few years at MBB, you have easier access to a broader range of middle management industry jobs than someone coming from financial services (because for the most part the skill set and knowledge you get as a consultant is broader).

So no, it's not the golden ticket or anything, but it's sort of like an "extended MBA" if you're unsure about what you want to do.

However, if you're sure about the industry you want to work in, then you really should just focus on getting into industry right after b-school, since as a mgmt consultant NO MATTER WHAT THE CONSULTING RECRUITERS TELL YOU OR PROMISE YOU -- as an associate you have very little control over the kinds of client engagements you work on. You may say you want to work on telco, but you work on what the partners bring in. If it's a coal mining project and you're available - you're going to be a coal mining expert for the next 6 months to maybe even a year. If you want to work with tech clients, the office may take note of that, but they will staff you on what client projects are brought in -- or you get shipped/rented by another office that desperately needs bodies (i.e. you're based in SF, but the Dallas office happens to be short staffed, and they need someone on a oil/gas project asap). The thing is, even the best intentioned firm partners and staffers can only do so much to accommodate an associate's interests -- they are still running a business, and they can't staff you on projects that don't exist.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I can add my 2 cents to this discussion. I have friends who have worked for MBB (pre-MBA and post MBA) who left after working there for about 2-3 yrs. One chap went and joined an early stage VC firm and is now joining the Wharton MBA program. Another person switched over to another MC firm. From what I have seen, many consultants who are perfectly happy with the way things are moving along, stay on with the firm to become Partners/ Directors.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Operations
Send PM
AlexMBAApply wrote:
So no, it's not the golden ticket or anything, but it's sort of like an "extended MBA" if you're unsure about what you want to do.

Alex, thanks for the insight. My own discussions with former and soon to be MBB consultants has made me realize that consulting isn't so much of a career accelerator as it is a way of broadening skills and industry exposure. That being said, another selling point for many firms is the idea that their alumni that are out there in industry will help with the job search when it's time to consider (or required to) exit the firm. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Alex, can you pls further expand on your comment that if one knows the industry he/she would like to work in then it's best to join that industry post MBA. What I find that even though one knows & enjoys working in that industry, staying w/ same firm can get boring n may not provide an understanding/access to complex problems in that industry. I feel MBBs can do a better job of showing problems from many industries including ones preferred one. And I think for that reason it might still be worth working at MBB post-MBA. Pls feel free to share if you disagree.

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
gregarious wrote:
AlexMBAApply wrote:

Alex, thanks for the insight. My own discussions with former and soon to be MBB consultants has made me realize that consulting isn't so much of a career accelerator as it is a way of broadening skills and industry exposure. That being said, another selling point for many firms is the idea that their alumni that are out there in industry will help with the job search when it's time to consider (or required to) exit the firm. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.

I think most people (consultants or not) are well intentioned - they try to help when they can, but they're not going to create jobs that don't exist, or roll out the red carpet for you and bring you into their inner circle just because you happened to work for the same firm at different times. It's not a cult or secret society. It certainly is an avenue, but I think consulting recruiters oversell this aspect -- again, it's no different than working at any other firm. If you're at GE and run into another ex-GE guy, that ex-GE guy may be more willing to pick up the phone; and replace "GE" with any other firm.

Again, the mgmt consultants who oversell this aspect of their "alumni" network is akin to a landlord selling the fact that the apartment has running water.

Originally posted by AlexMBAApply on 18 Jul 2011, 10:12.
Last edited by AlexMBAApply on 18 Jul 2011, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
vinayrsm wrote:
Alex, can you pls further expand on your comment that if one knows the industry he/she would like to work in then it's best to join that industry post MBA. What I find that even though one knows & enjoys working in that industry, staying w/ same firm can get boring n may not provide an understanding/access to complex problems in that industry. I feel MBBs can do a better job of showing problems from many industries including ones preferred one. And I think for that reason it might still be worth working at MBB post-MBA. Pls feel free to share if you disagree.

Posted from my mobile device

Sounds like a narrative straight out of a consulting recruiting presentation.

The biggest blind spot with mgmt consulting is this: confusing "thinking" with "doing". If the intellectual/abstract aspects of business interest you more than the actual execution, then you probably should remain in consulting, or become a professor.

Consulting can expose you to all kinds of business situations -- but it's still very conceptual. You spend your time researching, compiling, analyzing, and writing. And that can give the false impression of actually doing.

If it were sports, it's sort of like coaching versus playing. Just because you have a brilliant mind for game plans, set plays, etc. as a coach has nothing to do with whether you can actually make plays in the clutch as a player.

And in many ways, I think that is a HUGE problem with the mentality of MBAs: they tend to overestimate the difficulty of the 'thinking' (strategy, planning, analysis, etc) and underestimate the difficulty of execution. To be blunt, all the stuff you learn in school, the conceptual stuff that consultants do, etc. are actually the EASIER aspects. The hardest part is actually doing it.

When the reality is, it's much harder to *do* than to simply *recommend*. And spending time learning how to *recommend* as a consultant really doesn't prepare you any better for the realities of *doing* and actually having to run a group, business, etc. where you are fully accountable for your decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
Great post Alex. Love the sports coach to player analogy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
While in school and since I have heard more than a few senior executives at large companies say the skills management consultants are usually what companies want. They focus on generating ideas and creating strategies but the vast majority do very little execution of implementation. One CEO who spoke during my time at Kellogg said he likes ex operations consultants but management consultants are more difficult to transition, and if you want to go into GM/Marketing/Corporate Finance etc. then just go do it.

Going into consulting allows you test the waters in multiple industries. It lets you put off the decision of what you want to do for a little long. If you know what industry you want to be in or what you want to do career wise you are better off going straight for it in my opinion. MBA programs often expose you to lots of the management team, this network is incredibly valuable. Coming in post consulting you will be just like other experienced hires, and its unlikely you will be brought on work trips or invited to dinners with the top guys at the company.

My company uses consultants, but I can't think of any of the senior leadership I know that has a consulting background. I know at least two of the big wigs that completely dislike them because of having to deal with the results consultants have delivered in the past. My boss has joked that next time we go to a customer who is using a consultant he is bringing me along so I can do use their frameworks right back at them and ask what slides out of their generic deck were used to create their ppt presentation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think it's important to define of "post-consulting" and have realistic expectations. Anyone who thinks that 2-3 years in consulting is a golden path to being an executive is severely lacking good judgement. The fact is most people (with a few exceptions) don't become senior executives until late 30's/early 40's at the earliest (and C-suite far later). There is simply too much time between when one leaves consulting after 2-3 years and when one would likely be up for promotion to that level to draw direct connections to the fact they were a consultant.

That being said, it really is not unrealistic to make the jump straight from consulting to a SVP/EVP position. This generally only happens though with people who have been career consultants (10-15 years) and are recognized as experts in their given industry. Even among this group, the common path to C-suite is several years at the SVP/EVP and some hoping between companies before finally making the leap.

Bottom line, consulting can certainly be a feeder but as with anything in life, there aren't shortcuts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
Working for MBB has the reputation among many MBA's of "setting yourself up for a great future" or "keeping many options open". I have heard this from many MBA's I have spoken with going into these companies. Yet I am struggling to see exactly what those "great options" are at this point. It seems like most post-McKinsey or Bain guys/girls go into corporate strategy, which I am discovering is NOT held in high regard by most companies, pays ok, but is basically a dead end (one MBB partner I spoke with actually called the corporate strategy division of companies "The Graveyard", as in, that's where your career will end...

For whatever reason, I just assumed that working for MBB for a couple years was a great way to then jump into a relevant corporate executive role... now I am discovering that it is rarely the case for a consultant to make the jump into C-suite...

Can someone with some experience and knowledge of the inner workings of MBB share some perspective on this topic...
What exactly DO the 50%+ of top MBA's who drop out of MBB every couple years end up doing with their career's?

"What do the top MBA's who drop out of MBB...end up doing with their careers?" They end up doing what they've actually wanted to do all along instead of putting it off for the indefinite future in hopes of building an ever more rounded set of skills.

Yes, of course that statement is way too strong of a generality. But for the sake of students who find themselves "defaulting" to a career in management consulting because of its prestige, that statement needs to be made to rebalance the equation.

Here are my claims, feel free to debate them:
1) You learn enough in business school to be "well-rounded" and develop a sharp strategy-focused mind. A few years at MBB will have marginal returns.
2) Specialization is more valued. Companies value a deep industry expert over a generalist unless they hire the generalist young and are willing to train him / her.
3) Career prospects after 2-3 years at MBB are worse than doing what you want to do right after b-school. You will be undertrained and overpaid for any company.

For your reference, I was at one of the MBB firms.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [9]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos