Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:ND - Alum, was accepted to WM, Olin.
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: MACc programs for a non-accounting major [#permalink]
I am also contemplating either a MACC or MSA program. I actually earned my undergrad in pre-med at University of Notre Dame in '97, served as a Naval Officer for 6 years, and have had a diverse and successful sales career over the past 6 years. The time has come for a career change, and based on my aptitude, personality, and interests, earning my CPA has become rather enticing. I'm curious if anyone can provide any insight about the differences between a MACC program versus a MSA program, specifically from the standpoint of career path and marketability. I am also looking at UNCC, UNC Chapel Hill, NS State, William and Mary, and UNC Wilmington. Thank you!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Santino12 wrote:
I am also contemplating either a MACC or MSA program. I actually earned my undergrad in pre-med at University of Notre Dame in '97, served as a Naval Officer for 6 years, and have had a diverse and successful sales career over the past 6 years. The time has come for a career change, and based on my aptitude, personality, and interests, earning my CPA has become rather enticing. I'm curious if anyone can provide any insight about the differences between a MACC program versus a MSA program, specifically from the standpoint of career path and marketability. I am also looking at UNCC, UNC Chapel Hill, NS State, William and Mary, and UNC Wilmington. Thank you!

From career standpoint or marketability, there is no difference between MSA or MACC. It's the same thing. Some schools call it MACC (Master of Accounting), and others call it MSA (Master of Science in Accounting). Make sure you choose a competitive program where Big 4 firms recruit as a key or priority school. UNC Chapel Hill has an amazing program where the enrollment size is small and placement rate is above 90%.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for that reply and the clarification. I'm also curious if there are many established professionals like myself in these programs. I've noticed that the typical student is right out of college, and the average age is about 24. It definitely takes some courage to do this at the age of 33, but I'm ready for a change, want tangible and marketable educational-based skills, and figure I'll be working for at least the next 30 years.

Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
I think in MST (Master of Science in Taxation) programs, you can find older (28+ in age) students more often. These are usually current CPA's, or lawyers.....getting a degree in Taxation to compliment his/her skillset.

In MACC or MSA programs, I think you are on the money. Generally, you would find younger students in these programs.

However, I wouldn't discourage you either. Big 4 firms recruit for accounting positions from 2nd tier MBA programs and professionals out of these programs tend to be older (avg around 28-30 I am guessing) and start out as Senior Associates.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Scored a 710 on the GMAT! Have submitted apps to UNC Chapel Hill, Northeastern (MS/MBA), William and Mary, and George Washington. Planning to submit to Boston College and Vanderbilt...others if necessary.

I'm really waiting to hear from UNC CH though. Hoping that works out because I'm dying to be back in the RDU area.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
 Q51  V42
Send PM
sns1011 wrote:
Scored a 710 on the GMAT! Have submitted apps to UNC Chapel Hill, Northeastern (MS/MBA), William and Mary, and George Washington. Planning to submit to Boston College and Vanderbilt...others if necessary.

I'm really waiting to hear from UNC CH though. Hoping that works out because I'm dying to be back in the RDU area.

Great score! I was also thinking of going for MS Accounting. However, I am already a CPA and eventually decided that MS Accounting would not be of any significant benefit to me. Nevertheless, I did some extensive research on the MS Accounting programs in the USA and you cannot really go wrong with UNC CH. Great school, great program! My personal favorite is USC but the program is not really tailored for non-accounting majors. Anyway, good luck with your applications, given your stats you should be fine.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello, I recently graduated early from UC Davis with an economics major, and I'm currently looking towards applying for a masters in accounting.

UC Davis does not have an accounting or finance major so I wasn't able to take much of the related accounting courses during my undergrad. But, I realized that most of these graduate schools require some prerequisites accounting courses, and some don't accept community college courses as a fulfillment for the prerequisites (They want all accounting prerequisites to be taken at an approved four-year university).

Does this mean that I have to take these classes at another university? I was thinking about taking these courses at a state university near my home, but does that mean that I have to reapply for undergraduate admission? or do extension classes work as well?

So basically what I am asking is this:
Where do most people who already graduated without an accounting major take these prerequisite courses if the graduate school they want to get into don't accept community college classes?

Thank You! I feel lost :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, my program did accept community college classes, so it's definitely something worthy of checking depending on where you decide to enroll.

In terms of a 4 year university, I did take a class or two at the state university near where I lived. What I did was apply as "Post-Baccalaureate" student, so a non-degree student basically just there to take classes. Most colleges classify you as a grad student, so you can probably find information about Post-Bac classes there. Then you can enroll in whatever classes you need (provided you're allowed, get professor permission...etc), even if they're undergraduate classes. You pay by the class, get a transcript...etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SNS,

What school did you end up going to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ nink, rayparlour.

You speak of these prerequisite courses before being able to enroll in such a Macc program. Is it important where I take these courses? Is it better for my addmission chances at competitive Macc programs to take these at top tier schools like the ivies; should I take them at the school at which I want to pursue my Macc; or is it totally irrelevant?

Thanks in advance guys!

Simon
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
sdilmanian wrote:
@ nink, rayparlour.

You speak of these prerequisite courses before being able to enroll in such a Macc program. Is it important where I take these courses? Is it better for my addmission chances at competitive Macc programs to take these at top tier schools like the ivies; should I take them at the school at which I want to pursue my Macc; or is it totally irrelevant?

Some schools won't accept credits from community colleges, while others will accept credits from community colleges. It depends on the program that you are applying to. A typical state university would probably suffice for most schools (plus if they are accredited). For Macc programs, it's all about GMAT score and GPA (and rec letters/essays to a degree). Unless you got your degree from Devry or other for-profit colleges, it should be ok for most programs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
nink wrote:
sdilmanian wrote:
@ nink, rayparlour.

Some schools won't accept credits from community colleges, while others will accept credits from community colleges. It depends on the program that you are applying to. A typical state university would probably suffice for most schools (plus if they are accredited). For Macc programs, it's all about GMAT score and GPA (and rec letters/essays to a degree). Unless you got your degree from Devry or other for-profit colleges, it should be ok for most programs.

William & Mary actually recommended that I take one of their prereqs (Business Law I think) online, when I mentioned that it would be hard to fit in my schedule. Of course, they're not quite a top tier school - IIRC, schools like UT and USC specifically state that CC and online courses are unacceptable (or not recommended).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts