Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
 Q49  V37
GPA: 3.7 from a top 5 US Engineering School
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Send PM
Re: Pharma industry career: Wharton vs. Haas vs. Sloan vs. Fuqua [#permalink]
Nymphetamine wrote:
Thanks so much Bryant for your excellent advice. Would it be possible for you to comment on how attractive my profile would be for my target schools? (caveat: I know that admission depends on several factors, what I am asking is for a very top-level view).
Many thanks in advance for your time

A

My take is Wharton > Duke > Haas for pharma ... and recruting #s will be consistent with that. I have pretty similar goals as you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Sorry, there was some error and this got posted thrice!
Hi all

To add to your original post, I was wondering what are the good schools one should apply to if one wants to go into overall healthcare domain in the States (preferably health insurance or hospital corp strategy consulting or corporate strategy for payers)? I'm currently a US Healthcare Analyst with Mckinsey & Co., based out of their New Delhi, India office. All my work exp here has been specifically US Healthcare related, and I want to leverage my knowledge base post MBA. I've looked into the following:

Berkeley Haas (top choice), Wharton (will not be applying), Carnegie Mellon's Tepper (will be applying), Vanderbilt Owen (will most likely apply), Duke Fuqua dual degree (not sure), and Ross which has a "Healthcare focus" option (may apply), Indian School of Business (Healthcare focus option - new). Do you guys recommend getting professional help with essay writing?

I'm going about this in an ad hock fashion, so would greatly appreciate any comments or advice!

A.
Background
(Will have 2.5 years here by 2012 fall) Research Analyst - Mckinse & Co.
(2 yrs) - Client Servicing, Advertising industry role
B.Sc. (Hons) Biology, Minors: Economics/Chem. University of Windsor, Ontario; Canada
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Personally, I think your background fits well with Fuqua. Duke-Fuqua is renowned for its Health Sector Management program. The students in the program get significant and meaningful exposures to healthcare executive in seminars and classes across the entire industry, payer, provider, pharma, medical devices, CRO, etc. The resources available for HSM students are above and beyond those for the regular Daytime students. For example, they get reimbursed Week-In-Cities trip to San Francisco, dedicated program director, specialized recruiting, etc. The job placement for HSM students is also significantly higher than regular daytime, I heard on the order of ~98% vs. ~90%. Not sure what you mean by Fuqua dual degree, HSM is only a certificate on top of your regular diploma, and most of the classes are add-ons, so you don’t have to give up your regular electives.

I can’t speak definitively on this, but I think the other schools’ program is more like a concentration and do not have dedicated resources. IMO, the dedicated resources makes a huge difference.

If you are interested, you should look into the HSM website as well as the Healthcare Club website.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/duke ... anagement/
https://mbaa.fuqua.duke.edu/hcc/index.html
https://fuqua.campusgroups.com/health/about/ (new site, as the school is migrating to new platform)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Personally, I think your background fits well with Fuqua. Duke-Fuqua is renowned for its Health Sector Management program. The students in the program get significant and meaningful exposures to healthcare executive in seminars and classes across the entire industry, payer, provider, pharma, medical devices, CRO, etc. The resources available for..

Thank you for the response Asimov (btw, have you named yourself after the sci-fi author? I loved his books as a kid!) . To be honest, the only reason Fuqua wasn't a top choice is because I hadn't done enough research! And yes, I meant the HSM program. Let me do a deeper dive into the links you sent.

Do you recommend any good backup school programs as well? I was keeping Tepper (top back up program), Indian School of Business and Vanderbilt's Owen as options due to their dual degree/healthcare focus offerings.

My social service involvement is very low, something which may cause me to delay my apps to 2013 fall to get something going in between. Unrelated topic, but do you feel B-schools will label my involvement as last minute & thus half-hearted if I start now for the fall 2012 app (which is what, 2 months away!)?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
or in fact even for the fall 2013 apps? Say I don't get in this year and am forced to reapply for 2013 fall.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Sorry to bring back this old topic but I wanted to ask how does Wharton compare to Fuqua for healthcare today?
GMAT Club Bot