Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Benefit of MBA for intl students in this market scenario [#permalink]
jayzen wrote:
Having lived in the Middle East most of my life, I would venture to say that majority of the high paying, MBA type jobs in the Middle East are usually reserved for local candidates or experienced international professionals who have an MBA from a world renowned school. Since a lot of the brand name schools are US schools or European schools, it makes better business sense for people to study there in order to get that high paying job. If there were comparable schools in the Middle East, people from the Middle East wouldn't spend all the time and effort to go and study in US or European schools.

I believe, as an international applicant, if one has the opportunity to study in a top business school, one should go for it. You may or may not get a job in a high paying job market due to visa regulations or other restrictions, but the experience and the network that one would have gained studying there along with the brand value of the school will definetly pay dividends in the long run.

Ok...Got your point... I just thought that a lot of schools have opened their centres in Dubai and that jobs would be available to those who graduate from the schools...

However, out of curiosity, what are the job prospects for somebody from the Middle East to find a job immediately after his/her MBA from a top US or European school??

Cheers!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fedexunledded wrote:
jayzen wrote:
Having lived in the Middle East most of my life, I would venture to say that majority of the high paying, MBA type jobs in the Middle East are usually reserved for local candidates or experienced international professionals who have an MBA from a world renowned school. Since a lot of the brand name schools are US schools or European schools, it makes better business sense for people to study there in order to get that high paying job. If there were comparable schools in the Middle East, people from the Middle East wouldn't spend all the time and effort to go and study in US or European schools.

I believe, as an international applicant, if one has the opportunity to study in a top business school, one should go for it. You may or may not get a job in a high paying job market due to visa regulations or other restrictions, but the experience and the network that one would have gained studying there along with the brand value of the school will definetly pay dividends in the long run.

Ok...Got your point... I just thought that a lot of schools have opened their centres in Dubai and that jobs would be available to those who graduate from the schools...

However, out of curiosity, what are the job prospects for somebody from the Middle East to find a job immediately after his/her MBA from a top US or European school??

Cheers!!

I would imagine that getting a job would depends less on which part of the world one comes from and more on one's internship, networks etc.
If you intend to work in the middle east after graduation, then you would do best to focus on companies that actively recruit from your school that have a middle eastern presence. Either that or leverage your own networks there. And if that doesn't work and you are still adamant about working in the middle east, then go the traditional route- work for a couple of years and use that experience to get a job in the middle east.
I'm sure most schools post statistics on what jobs its students got, where and when.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
queries MBA for intl students in this market scenario [#permalink]
myself ashish from India , from a middleclass family taking a loan [100%fees]and thought to do mba in usa ,i have few questions
[1]is mba from average university in usa is worth to be taken as loan to pay tuition fees or there is hamburger of universities like scene in India and one cant pay loan so easily
[2]in order to pay loan i have to remain in usa for long time [as there is currency difference and if i come to india i cant pay loan],and to stay in usa i have to file h1b during opt status ,what are chances of this narration as of international student previous experience in this regard
[3]IS only top ranking 15 business school in usa fruitful in my case ,if yes their 2years tuition fee is around 100 k but i donot have that money and i have to take loan do they provide loan for international student?
[4] is scholar ship available .please comment
[5]my email id is -agodara97@yahoo.in
[6] my phone is 09460550497
[7] what are chances of h1b visa and job sponsership after mba in usa ,can opt be changed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hmm, this is an interesting thread, for someone from Australia (eligible for the lovely E3 visa), currently working in NY and looking to go to B-school in the US.

My situation: temporary contract working in the US ending very soon; want to remain in the US, but given the job market, and the way employers seem to discriminate against non-US schools, very few prospects. Did have a job lined up through industry contacts, but fell through a couple of months back. Thinking a US-based degree is the way to go to become anywhere near competitive in the US and global markets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I agree too that this is a great thread for internationals. I guess I could pitch in some information I have. I got my undergraduate degree in US and I am from South-Eastern Europe. This is where I live now.

The whole thing with "we do not discriminate international job applicants" is bull, at least in this kind of economy. I have many friends who studied in the US, from junior colleges to Ivy League schools and vast majority of them had the same problem. Good resume, no job. Yes, we all know that the job market is awful but from what I have seen, American students I know got jobs even though their resumes/skills/etc. were not as great. This is to be expected and one should not have grudge because it is simply the way it is. I know that one day when I graduate from an MBA program (I want to go in the US), I will have this in mind. I guess I simply have to be waaaay more competitive than US applicants in order to land a job.

An interesting thing happened to a great friend of mine. He (also an international) just graduated from UT-Austin with a degree in BA-Finance. He had an audit internship at KPMG in the summer b/w junior and senior year. Then, close to his graduation, he got an interview for valuations services (or whatever it is called) at PwC. Long story short, he did not get the job. However, he had sent an e-mail to a partner that interviewed him to ask her about other possible jobs that they had at PwC. She ended up getting him an interview for an auditing job in a different town. He ended up getting the job. He also got the H1B visa sponsorship. Now, what is interesting here is that he will start his job in October and in the meantime, he will come back to Europe. I guess they really wanted him. He is a bright student and did well in school, got experience and landed a job.

The important thing to consider is that accounting firms in general hire at any given moment. I think that the bottom line is that as an international you need to adjust your job expectations to the situation in the US economy. It is more challenging to get a job in market conditions like this, so in order to succeed, you need to take smaller steps that will help you in the long term.

Finally, I was able to talk to a person who worked in IB industry in NYC some time ago. He told me that in competitive market like IB (and similar ones) it all breaks down to who you know. Sad, but true. But I think that networking is one of the reasons for getting an MBA, right? You need to learn to be better at networking and not just rely on your academic skills, which also need to be great in the first place.

I wonder how is the situation going to be in the future when, or if, the job market in the US recovers. The way I plan right now, I will graduate from an MBA program in 4 years, plus minus.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2