Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Full time or executive MBA [#permalink]
thanks. I'm considering this but without management experience, it would be a big question mark, if I can get in.

rgupta83 wrote:
You might want to consider a part time program if you are worried about your age and loss of salary. The executive programs are usually targeted at individuals in middle to upper management with about 15 years of experience.

For the part-time programs I definitely know individuals who get the networking and jobs that others get out of full-time. It is really what do you want out of school.

I think the biggest thing about a part-time program is the networking and job-search will only be what you make it to be. In the full time program you are immersed in the school and end up doing some networking and job searching by default. In the part-time program it is really about the individual to make the most of their time there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mba goals:
- learn/hone leadership and people skills
- take on more responsibility
- move to management/executive position
- get more life balance (is this possible? I guess this depends on the post-mba field or position I get into?)
- increase income
- not really a goal, but I'll consider it a bonus to work at the top 100

"managerial" - I mean I didn't have any management experience at work.

I'm currently in I.T.

cheetarah1980 wrote:
What are your post MBA goals? I believe EMBAs are for people who do have managerial experience. When you say "managerial" do you mean people management or just any kind of management at all. What's your current field? I know two of the directors in my division did EMBAs (Johnson and Fuqua) and they had GREAT networking opportunities. True they came back to work for the same company but I imagine if they explored their options elsewhere they could go anywhere they want with the degree.

So basically what I'm saying is...more details please!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
glenn0613 wrote:
mba goals:
- learn/hone leadership and people skills
- take on more responsibility
- move to management/executive position
- get more life balance (is this possible? I guess this depends on the post-mba field or position I get into?)
- increase income
- not really a goal, but I'll consider it a bonus to work at the top 100

"managerial" - I mean I didn't have any management experience at work.

I'm currently in I.T.

cheetarah1980 wrote:
What are your post MBA goals? I believe EMBAs are for people who do have managerial experience. When you say "managerial" do you mean people management or just any kind of management at all. What's your current field? I know two of the directors in my division did EMBAs (Johnson and Fuqua) and they had GREAT networking opportunities. True they came back to work for the same company but I imagine if they explored their options elsewhere they could go anywhere they want with the degree.

So basically what I'm saying is...more details please!

Have you managed a project or led a team to complete an assignment. You don't need a manager title or direct reports to have had managerial experience.

Do you want to stay in IT or move to a different industry? Do you know what kind of career you want. For example, my post MBA goal is to transition into either a non-profit development or corporate social responsibility role with a focus in creating public private partnerships. I'd like to do this at the senior manager or director level.
From what you're saying it seems a PT program might fit your needs if you're just looking to learn some new skills in finance, marketing, accounting, etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Cheetarah. This helped. I prefer to stay in IT. Saw your blog and looks like you sort of went through the same crossroad. I'll think about it more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hello, can you give more details, why do you think full time is better?

jollysteve wrote:
Hi,
I am glad to see this topic.I am happy to suggest you.
The full time MBA is the best way to boost your bright career.
If you are doing executive MBA then there are many scopes occur .
Also lots of colleges providing the full time MBA.
Thank you. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing & Entrepreneurship
Schools:UCLA Anderson FEMBA Class of 2014
Send PM
"I think the biggest thing about a part-time program is the networking and job-search will only be what you make it to be. In the full time program you are immersed in the school and end up doing some networking and job searching by default. In the part-time program it is really about the individual to make the most of their time there."

I couldn't agree with that more.

For me, I ran into this same question last year when I was applying. I ended up deciding to go the part-time route and am starting at UCLA Anderson this fall. Here was my rational for my situation and why I chose part-time:
- I love the company I work at. The growth has been phenomenal the past 4 years and in the booming online marketing industry and I didn't want to leave.
- I felt that if I ever did want to leave, going with a part-time program would allow me to much more easily get an internship or part-time job or engage with a start-up since my classes will be in the evening, not during the day time.
- The part-time programs were 3 years. Yes, 1 year longer, but that means more opportunities to network.
- In my line of work it's fairly easy to work remotely as long as you have a computer and internet connection. I envisioned certain days working remotely from the library and heading over to class afterwards. Again, the idea of working and getting my MBA without having to forego income.
- @Anderson, part-time (FEMBAs) are given the same/equal resources as full-timers, so all of the student organizations and activities are also open to FEMBAs. This was a huge + to be able to participate in student life this way. Not all programs are as open, but I felt doing the part-time program I would get the best of both worlds.

That said though a lot of things have change in the past months. I've decided to leave my current company and take a risk and partner up with others on a startup while pursuing my degree. I think given the schedule of the part-time program, it'll be much easier for me to manage both of these vs if I were to do this while in the full-time program.

Best of luck with your decision!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks! I didn't know that there are part-time programs that provide the same resources that are given to full-time students. I assume that includes placement?

thisguy310 wrote:
"I think the biggest thing about a part-time program is the networking and job-search will only be what you make it to be. In the full time program you are immersed in the school and end up doing some networking and job searching by default. In the part-time program it is really about the individual to make the most of their time there."

I couldn't agree with that more.

For me, I ran into this same question last year when I was applying. I ended up deciding to go the part-time route and am starting at UCLA Anderson this fall. Here was my rational for my situation and why I chose part-time:
- I love the company I work at. The growth has been phenomenal the past 4 years and in the booming online marketing industry and I didn't want to leave.
- I felt that if I ever did want to leave, going with a part-time program would allow me to much more easily get an internship or part-time job or engage with a start-up since my classes will be in the evening, not during the day time.
- The part-time programs were 3 years. Yes, 1 year longer, but that means more opportunities to network.
- In my line of work it's fairly easy to work remotely as long as you have a computer and internet connection. I envisioned certain days working remotely from the library and heading over to class afterwards. Again, the idea of working and getting my MBA without having to forego income.
- @Anderson, part-time (FEMBAs) are given the same/equal resources as full-timers, so all of the student organizations and activities are also open to FEMBAs. This was a huge + to be able to participate in student life this way. Not all programs are as open, but I felt doing the part-time program I would get the best of both worlds.

That said though a lot of things have change in the past months. I've decided to leave my current company and take a risk and partner up with others on a startup while pursuing my degree. I think given the schedule of the part-time program, it'll be much easier for me to manage both of these vs if I were to do this while in the full-time program.

Best of luck with your decision!
GMAT Club Bot