Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [10]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Must Be True CR [#permalink]
Kudos
I chose D. Since the most troubled retailers went out of business after 1st year, the remaining retailers had greater market, which in turn results in a better business for them. That is the only way they could pay in 2nd year, IMO.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
The stimulus mentions that the effects of the downturn have been felt in "all corners" of the economy.

So -- D -- I'm not entirely convinced.

D would have been OK if not for the opening sentence.

B seems right --- because if the banks now only gave loans to "proper" businesses -- there is a much better chance of getting proper payments....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
From my understanding the restrictions instituted since the economic downturn began i.e they are applicable for both years. Hence we can eliminate B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.53
WE:Other (Accounting)
Send PM
I was hesitated between B and D, and finally chose B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
toughmat wrote:
From my understanding the restrictions instituted since the economic downturn began i.e they are applicable for both years. Hence we can eliminate B

I agree, that was the tricky part of the question. The restrictions wouldn't explain why they weren't able to pay the first year.

The answer is D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
+1 D

I had done a similar question before with almost the same answer choices, so this one was easy for me. Also this question is tagged as "must be true", but I think it is a "resolve a paradox" type of question. The correct answer choices of "must be true" questions cannot bring in new information and are in most of the cases a simple paraphrase of one or more of the premises themselves.

Paradox in the Argument: Proportion of loan repaid dropped sharply in the first year, but returned to normal levels in the second year.

Correct answer choice will resolve the paradox by explaining the "but" in the argument.

guygmat wrote:

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the change in credit repayment reported?

A)The total dollar amount of the loans decreased slightly between the first year and the second.
irrelevant-doesn't explain why the proportion of loans repaid returned to normal levels, total amount of loans may have dropped and the proportion of loans returned may still have remained the same.

B)New restrictions on the banking industry instituted since the economic downturn began have limited the number of loans banks can make to troubled borrowers.
if you followed why Option A is wrong, this option can easily be seen as irrelevant, and because of the same reasons. Even if the total amount of loans dropped, the proportion of loans repaid could remain the same. An increase or decrease in number doesn't guarantee a similar increase or decrease in proportion (or percentage). If, however, this option stated that banks are diverting loans from troubled retailers to well-off retailers, then this option might have been a contender.

C)The largest furniture chain in Crescent City slashed prices in the second year in order to stimulate sales.
out of scope, we are talking about all furniture retailers, not just one or the biggest player. Also we do not know whether the stimulated sales were sufficient to repay the loans

D)Almost all of the most financially troubled furniture retailers went out of business at the end of the first year of the economic downturn.
correct, if most of the troubled retailers who had difficulty in repaying loans went out of business at the end of the first year, in the second year only those those retailers remained who could repay the loans, thus increasing the proportion of loans repaid and explaining the paradox

E)Between the first and second years of the recession, wholesalers were forced to significantly raise the prices they charged to retailers.
irrelevant, we are concerned about retailers and not wholesalers. And also if this option were true, retailers would be left more troubled by the rise in prices, thus making the paradox more grave.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
yup, an easy point I missed out. Eliminates B straightforward. Kudos to you for reminding me about this type of wrong answer choice :wink: .

toughmat wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
+1 for D...although my answer was E......but D wins
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
This is a strengthen question !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I'm not convinced with D. But of all the given choices D seems correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Izvos wrote:
doubting btw b and d

definately D

B)New restrictions on the banking industry instituted since the economic downturn began have limited the number of loans banks can make to troubled borrowers.

but this does not explain why 1st year has more number of defaulters and how suddenly for the second yr the number decreased.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM