Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
 Q39  V22
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Technical support
WE 2: software testing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Canada MBA discussion [#permalink]
Schawjibb wrote:
[NEED SUPPORT; PLEASE HELP]

While choosing B-schools, should I also take care of the attached university ranking? Will it give me any further benefit?

For instance, UBC ranking as a university is very good world-wide which may give me an ultimate brand value while networking (though it's B-school is in the last quartile of Economist and FT ranking). Whereas, U of Western Ontario is pretty much unknown to the world as well as unranked university, and maybe has far lesser number of Alumni worldwide; but it's B-school students really have good avg salary, employment rate and such. And, Thunderbird is not at all under/with any university and run independently.

I have narrowed down my focus B-school list to 15 which are well fit with me as long as career, interest, mobility, teaching quality and facility are concerned. However, now I am planning to make the list even narrower maybe to 7/8. I want to choose a B-school with a good balance between university ranking as well as the ranking of the the school itself. But, I will leave this if B-school means B-school only, and university ranking and renounce has nothing to do with it.

Please, help which focus should be given more weight.

I would imagine it matters only in certain situations.

In terms of your actual school experience, it matters with respect to facilities, administrative qualities of the school, and mostly access to electives outside of the course.

In terms of the reputation on your resume it will not generally matter to people actually recruiting at MBA's, or for jobs/industries directly related to the field in Canada. If you are going to venture into unusual job territory, or move internationally I think the reputation of the overall university might matter more (in other words, these people would have never heard of Ivey or Sauder, but may have heard of UBC as at the least a well-respected institute.

In most cases I think the quality and reputation of the business program is really the only thing that matters. In the case of Ivey vs Sauder, I think Ivey is the clear winner in all cases (in terms of generic reputation, not controlling for where you want to work and what you want to do)....

Please note, this isn't from experience. Just some thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
GO CANADA! We have to get this thread going again, I have so many questions and for the majority I am applying to Canadian Schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
nphelan wrote:
GO CANADA! We have to get this thread going again, I have so many questions and for the majority I am applying to Canadian Schools.

Agreed. Whats your question?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Schulich, Concordia, Rotman, Ivey.... all four are on my radar, I guess I'm just curious if anyone has any insight on these schools and what they will be looking for, based on the results i think i can see a 700 on my eventual GMAT i'm writing in December, but my GPA was 2.8 in my BBA from Memorial University. I have some extra cirriculars and will have roughly 3-4 years experience at matriculation.

So any ideas what my chances might be for each school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm by no means an expert here (and I'm sure that will become apparent quite quickly once you read my post), but I can tell you that from a pure stat for stat comparison, you've got a competitive profile. As you probably already know... assuming a 700 GMAT and a B final year average, you fit the 'median' posted profile for both Schulich and Rotman (with an above average GMAT to boot!)

I don't want to engage in the critical reasoning exercise of "*so and so* got into XYZ and had inferior stats to you... thus you WILL get in", but I have co-workers that have gotten into Schulich and Rotman with less work experience and a comparable GMAT score. I've also had friends with a lower GMAT and fewer years of work experience get admits from one of the schools you've listed. Make of that what you will, but I think you have every reason to be confident in your school choices.

I'm excited for you nphelan, any reason why you chose those schools?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah these schools for me represent an innovative education rather then the typical MBA experience. Everything I've read about the two have provided me with excitement, enthusiasm that they want me to bring something to the table, and at the same time they are providing me a unique experience that I wouldn't typically find in a grad school. My concern has always been my GPA, I've seen on every website for Canadian Schools a 3.0 GPA average is required. I am willing to spend more and more time studying leading up to December to really make myself a strong candidate, and maybe that low GPA is the motivation I need leading up to it. I should also add that I'm deep into the interview process with Deloitte right now for a Production Assistant role leading up to matriculation. This means a possibility of writing my CFA L1 and L2 exams before matriculation. I've been coaching Minor Hockey for 4 years now, I've participated in multiple charity events such as a 160km bike tour for Multiple Sclerosis, etc. I'm currently looking into playing a larger role in a charity this year leading up to applications, and I believe my achievements through school and work (Exxon Mobil Scholarship, Top Sales in the region 6 out of 8 months working, etc.) will all give me the extra curricular needed to appeal to the schools. But again that GPA I was told needs to be a 3.0 to be considered by a school. Anyone have experience with this or knows how they might handle this situation? What would be the magic number on the GMAT to make that GPA issue disappear?

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Send PM
Was your cumulative GPA a 2.8? Or just the last two years?

I know that my worst courses were in years 1 and 2 - the only C's in my transcript are in my first three semesters (one per semester) but they were bad enough to have a pretty big effect on my GPA... but when I look at my last two years my GPA is quite reasonable and hopefully competitive.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cumulative, but I would say my last year has been comparable to this as well, MAYBE a little better
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I'm actually in the same boat as megany. A low-ish cumulative GPA, largely due to a horendous semester in second year that basically crippled my cum GPA.

Doesn't hurt to go back and re-calculate your final year and final 2 year averages just to see where you stand. I can say that I was plesantly surprised to find that my final 2 year average was a fair bit higher than I would have expected.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I'm in the same situation as nphelan. My target schools are Ivey and Rotman, however I'll likely be applying for 2013 matriculation.

My stats are as follows:
GMAT: 700 (49Q/37V)
GPA (last 2 yrs): 2.9 BBA at a top-tier Canadian business program
Work experience: 4.5 yrs at matriculation in public accounting/capital markets
Extracurriculars: A ton of leadership positions during undergrad (President of student club, VP/director positions, etc)

Like nphelan, my GPA is the toughest thing to get over right now because it's *just* under the 3.0 threshold. Hopefully the other parts of my application will offset a couple of poor grades.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi all,

I have heard that if one has Canadian permanent resident/citizenship status, he/she will have to pay for his MBA much less than an international student. Is this true?

Thank you very much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, there are other fees incurred with an international student. For example check out this link for Rotman:

https://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/mba/admission.htm

If you scroll down to the fees there is a difference of about $9000 each year for a total difference of $18,000 over two years. This is the case at rotman as it is at most schools in Canada. I've also looked into schools in the US and Australia, and both have turned up with the same extra international fees which are higher or lower then what is at Rotman based on whether the tuition is higher or lower in general.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: University of Toronto (Rotman) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.57
Send PM
Hey all,

I am wondering about the MBA scene in Montreal. I'm from Toronto and I have a fair idea about the MBAs here (Rotman, Ivey, Schulich, and the newly begotten Rogers at Ryerson) - feel free to ask!. but I would like to find out about Montreal. How is the banking/consulting industry there, and how is the recruiting for Desautels at McGill? It wouldn't be bad to study in Montreal and learn French, but then again since I don't speak perfect French I would probably have a hard time competing for jobs.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Hmmm, not much love for Canadian schools on this site. Anyways, for people who're in Toronto, MBA fair is on Sept 10th.
https://www.topmba.com/qs-world-mba-tour ... ca/toronto
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone go to the MBA fair?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10