Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Ask not what your college can do for you... [#permalink]
MU2011CPA wrote:
I've asked many a question regarding service/extracurricular activities recently as this is the area where I am most lacking. I do not volunteer regularly, mostly due to my hectic work schedule, but I have finally found something that I feel like I can actually devote some meaningful time to (i'm still 1 year out from my application time of summer 2012 to begin in fall 2013). However, I'm worried that this may not seem "diverse" enough an activity to round out my application.

I've recently found an organization related to my alma mater through which I can, on a regular basis, give presentations and participate in panel discussions for the benefit of undergraduate business students. Not only does the timing of these events work well with my hectic work schedule, but I'm also very interested in this and would get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Taking into account that this is something very closely related to my undergraduate college, does this seem like a "weak" volunteer/service activity? I know it's a far cry from building schools in sub-Saharan Africa or being the VP of an international non-profit, but it is something that I'm passionate about (business education, financial literacy, etc) and something that I won't be forcing myself to do, I actually WANT to do it.

That being said, from a purely MBA application perspective, does this seem like a solid way in which to contribute to my community or is this at the level of "better than nothing"??

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Has it really gotten to the point that people weigh their participation in an extracurricular/service activity by how it will look on b-school apps? Wow.

Look, get involved in what YOU want to get involved. It's not about what you do it's about how you do it. If increasing financial literacy is important to you then that's just as meaningful as the person who did a year long mission building schools in Botswana. How it plays into your b-school apps should be irrelevant. If it gives you great experiences that you can speak to in your applications, then great. However, that's really an afterthought.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Per your words,

It works with your schedule
You are interested in doing it
You will enjoy it
You are passionate about it
You WANT to do it

If you are willing to trade those off because you are worried it will not please an admissions officer, that is another issue altogether.

Remember, Business school can not be 'the goal', but a means to a goal. If this is something that means a lot to you, you should pursue it, and be PROUD of it. The undergrad students who will hear you speak will need you to do this with all conviction and commitment, not as someone doing it to 'check a box' on a b-school application. You are the one who actually will decide if this is 'solid' or 'better than nothing'. Not Adcom.
GMAT Club Bot