Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General
Schools:Columbia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Odd Scoring in Practice CATs [#permalink]
Thanks! So hoping for a 730 or above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:
I know number of wrong answers can't be correlated to score, but I just feel that sometimes the breakdowns are so confusing, I can't be sure if the test results are accurate or something is screwy. Can someone advise?

Done 3 actual mock CATs so far.

First was Kaplan CD, not online (from Premier 2011)
Score: 730
Q50 V40
Quant: 7 out of 37 questions wrong (first qtn wrong...)
Verbal: 10 out of 41 questions wrong

2nd was GMATPrep1
Score: 770
Q50 V45
Quant: 6 out of 37 questions wrong (2 of the wrong answers were consecutive)
Verbal: 4 out of 41 questions wrong

3rd was GMATPrep2
Score: 750
Q49 V44
Quant: 11 out of 37 questions wrong (2 sets of 2 consecutive wrong answers with qtns 1,8,and 11 being among the list of wrong answers)
Verbal: 4 out of 41 questions wrong

GMATPrep2 Quant felt much much more difficult, with 5-6 consecutive difficult DS questions coming at high 20s low 30s and the last 2-3 questions being stupidly simple PS qtns (I kid you not, one of the qtns was a list of 6 numbers and asked me if median was bigger than a given....). I thought I was in for a horrific score and the test had adjusted the math to a kiddy level to account for all my "wrong" DS answers. Yet the Quant was still respectable at 49. WHY?

Honestly, the GMAT grading algo confuses me as to how prepared I am especially with Quant. Can anyone advise? I'm taking the test on the 10th which is in 2 days. Honestly if I had just taken Prep2 for the actual GMAT, I would have clicked on the "do not score my GMAT option" at the end of the test. How do you guys gauge how well you did?

Just see your scores!! What makes you so insecure??

Just relax for the last day. You prepared to destroy the GMAT. Expect 750 and work towards it.

Make sure you always have a PLAN B ready, just in case things don't go as you want them to. Eg: Guess questions you can't do, follow proper timing - neither too fast nor too slow. Do not try to guess the difficulty of the problem. Take the breaks ,etc.

Kick some GMAT A$$
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ok, did one last full Kaplan test CAT 2 (with AWA) before I take the exam tomorrow.

worst score so far:
Score: 700 (Q50/V39)
Math - 5/37 wrong (3 careless, 2 I guessed wrong after spending too much time)
Verbal - 8/41 wrong (with 5 SC errors, 2 CR and 1 RC qtn wrong)

CRAP, first time to score below 40 on verbal. This sucks as the SC was quite tricky and none of them had 2/3 splits so I could only eliminate 1 or 2 before I had to guess. Q50 is meaningless for the Kaplan tests as the quant is so so much easier than GMATprep. And I heard that some people got Q55...

Wanted to end on a high note before i take the test tomorrow... Anyway, no way I'm gonna do a practice exam tomorrow. Just gonna work on a few quant qtns during the day to keep my brain limber before taking the exam at 6pm. Damn it, I want my 730!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:
ok, did one last full Kaplan test CAT 2 (with AWA) before I take the exam tomorrow.

worst score so far:
Score: 700 (Q50/V39)
Math - 5/37 wrong (3 careless, 2 I guessed wrong after spending too much time)
Verbal - 8/41 wrong (with 5 SC errors, 2 CR and 1 RC qtn wrong)

CRAP, first time to score below 40 on verbal. This sucks as the SC was quite tricky and none of them had 2/3 splits so I could only eliminate 1 or 2 before I had to guess. Q50 is meaningless for the Kaplan tests as the quant is so so much easier than GMATprep. And I heard that some people got Q55...

Wanted to end on a high note before i take the test tomorrow... Anyway, no way I'm gonna do a practice exam tomorrow. Just gonna work on a few quant qtns during the day to keep my brain limber before taking the exam at 6pm. Damn it, I want my 730!!

Dont fret. I would say V39 is really good on Kaplan so dont worry.

Anyway, all the best and I am sure you will do great. Will for your Debrief!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
weird though, I guess I'm a reliable test subject. My scores have very little variation between tests from the same company even though the number of qtns I get wrong differs significantly.

GMATprep 1: Q50 / V45 (770)
6 Quant Wrong / 4 Verbal Wrong
GMATprep 2: Q49 / V44 (750)
11 Quant Wrong / 4 Verbal Wrong

Kaplan Premier 2011 CAT 1: Q50 / V40 (730)
7 Quant Wrong / 10 Verbal Wrong
Kaplan Premier 2011 CAT 2: Q50 / V39 (700)
5 Quant Wrong / 8 Verbal Wrong
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akhileshgupta05 wrote:

Dont fret. I would say V39 is really good on Kaplan so dont worry.

Anyway, all the best and I am sure you will do great. Will for your Debrief!!!

Thanks bro, just feels like a long long 3 weeks and I absolutely positively don't want to take this bastard again after tomorrow. Taking 3 1/2 hr tests every day is not exactly my idea of a good time. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well, just came back from my exam and got a 730 which is inline with my practice CAT (lower than gmatprep, higher than Kaplan CD not online) scores. One thing though, I got cocky when I had 1 qtn left in Quant and 9 minutes left on the clock. I got super engrossed double checking my answer and didn't realized time had run out and actually left the last qtn unanswered because the screen closed when counter hit 0. Incompletes are penalized heavily so possibly that killed my quant score. I just feel it could so easily have been a 750 if I just didn't fool around so much.

Anyway I'm done with this crap, and this marks the end of 3 weeks of grinding. My first and only GMAT test. I can't justify wasting the time and energy to retake it when I'm already above 95 percentile. GMAC can forget about getting a penny more from me (beyond sending additional score reports).

Here are my practice CAT scores for your reference in case you have a score distribution like me. I only took Kaplan and GMATprep tests.

GMAT FINAL
Q49 / V42 730

All preps were taken within the last week. No other CATs were taken prior.

Good luck guys, especially Akhil. Hope you definitely do better than me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:
Well, just came back from my exam and got a 730 which is inline with my practice CAT (lower than gmatprep, higher than Kaplan CD not online) scores. One thing though, I got cocky when I had 1 qtn left in Quant and 9 minutes left on the clock. I got super engrossed double checking my answer and didn't realized time had run out and actually left the last qtn unanswered because the screen closed when counter hit 0. Incompletes are penalized heavily so possibly that killed my quant score. I just feel it could so easily have been a 750 if I just didn't fool around so much.

Anyway I'm done with this crap, and this marks the end of 3 weeks of grinding. My first and only GMAT test. I can't justify wasting the time and energy to retake it when I'm already above 95 percentile. GMAC can forget about getting a penny more from me (beyond sending additional score reports).

Here are my practice CAT scores for your reference in case you have a score distribution like me. I only took Kaplan and GMATprep tests.

GMAT FINAL
Q49 / V42 730

Good luck guys, especially Akhil. Hope you definitely do better than me.

Well I can't really understand whether you're truly satisfied or not. But nevertheless, CONGRATULATIONS! 730 is as awesome score!!

And I think you lost that %tile because of missing that question, not that it matters now. If I am not wrong, the GMAT deducts 1%tile for every question that you miss!! And usually I have seen that Q50 and V42 comes to a 760!
Anyway, it happens. Doesn't matter GREAT JOB!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Done with GMAT - 730 Q49 V42 [#permalink]
oh I'm not complaining. Just pissed that a stupid error may have cost me points. But like I figure, if a school dings me a 730, they're going to ding me at 750. That 20 pt difference is highly unlikely to matter.

Now just need to work on how best to prostitute myself to the schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
You have the right mindset, 730 vs 750 is going to be minimal, at that point it's going to come down the the application you put together with that 730. Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
openbox1 wrote:

GMAT FINAL
Q49 / V42 730

And I think you lost that %tile because of missing that question, not that it matters now. If I am not wrong, the GMAT deducts 1%tile for every question that you miss!! And usually I have seen that Q50 and V42 comes to a 760!

So then it seems like GMATPreps are still the best gauge (no kidding, eh?), given that you probably could have achieved 750/760, in line with your GMATPreps. Seems that Kaplan still skews their tests significantly, as your 700/730 weren't representative.

Of course, there's no guarantee you would have been correct in that last question, but I assume after 9 minutes, there was a good chance of that.

Grats anyway, that's an awesome score!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sovjet wrote:
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
openbox1 wrote:

GMAT FINAL
Q49 / V42 730

So then it seems like GMATPreps are still the best gauge (no kidding, eh?), given that you probably could have achieved 750/760, in line with your GMATPreps. Seems that Kaplan still skews their tests significantly, as your 700/730 weren't representative.

Of course, there's no guarantee you would have been correct in that last question, but I assume after 9 minutes, there was a good chance of that.

Grats anyway, that's an awesome score!

I HAD THE FREAKING ANSWER!!! BUT IT WAS AN INEQUALITY DS QTN SO I WANTED TO MAKE SURE!#@$!!%#!#%!#! so was plugging in numbers. Now even if it was an experimental qtn I still get penalized for not completing the stupid Quant section. And then V42 Q49 translates to 740 on the score chart but I get marked down there too. TT

Oh well, but enough bitching. Its not that bad that I'm upset, just annoyed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing Analytics/Consulting
Schools:Kellogg
 Q51  V36
Send PM
openbox1 wrote:
oh I'm not complaining. Just pissed that a stupid error may have cost me points. But like I figure, if a school dings me a 730, they're going to ding me at 750. That 20 pt difference is highly unlikely to matter.

Dude,

Congrats \m/ How did you find the verbal part ?? Was it comparable to that in GMAT PREP ?? Were the RCs too long?

Prostitute :lol:

Cheers man !! Take a chill-pill and start on the essays ..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BearBelly wrote:
openbox1 wrote:

Dude,

Congrats \m/ How did you find the verbal part ?? Was it comparable to that in GMAT PREP ?? Were the RCs too long?

Prostitute :lol:

Cheers man !! Take a chill-pill and start on the essays ..

No the RCs were amazingly easy this time round. I think that's why I scored relatively lower than the GMAT preps for verbal because people were in general scoring higher. I'd like to think I'm good at RCs but this time, I could answer all the questions after reading the passages just once because they were so straightforward. The Verbal I felt was way easier than the GMATprep 1 and 2 verbals and the quant was a little simpler. Overall an easier exam. I got unlucky with a whole string of DS qtns (counted 8 in a row - what the hell is with me and getting consecutive DS questions???) in the beginning. I usually prefer them to be towards the end when I've built up a time buffer so I can spend more time on each one. Well, Q49s not the end of the world.

Bear in mind that being easier does not mean you'll score better as the curve becomes more crowded at the top.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I don't mean to rub it in, but not completing the section drops your score by around 3% percentile. You could have scored well over 750 if you had completed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bschool2014 wrote:
I don't mean to rub it in, but not completing the section drops your score by around 3% percentile. You could have scored well over 750 if you had completed.

Yeah, but oh well, can't do jack about it and not going to obsess about it. My goal was always to get at least 730 and while I just scraped by that requirement, its still a respectable score that shouldn't harm my chances anywhere. Its not going to cannon me past my competitors, but hey, that just means I need to slap on a thicker coat of lipstick and wear more slutty clothes to attract the John that is the business school.

And you're rubbing it in... With sandpaper :) I kid.

I find apps are like a woman putting on makeup. With the right application, you can turn the ugliest duckling into the most beautiful swan. Too much and you look like a clown, too little and you look just plain. You just have to hit that fine line.

Sigh, its been what, 10 years since my college-suck days back in high school? Hope I still haven't lost the touch.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bschool2014 wrote:

are you sure its 3%tile I remember reading somewhere that its 1.5% or something. If its 3%tile, then its a lot. You miss 3-4 questions in the entire test and you're screwed!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts