Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [25]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 8
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Finance and Accounting
Schools:UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: What is the remainder when x^4 + y^4 divided by 5? [#permalink]
Sunchaser20 wrote:

But I think, that the answer is E, because:
Sum up A) and B): X-Y+X+Y=5a+1+5b+2 -> 2X=5(a+b)+3, when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3. Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4 or 1.5 (X is not integer), as the values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 6.5; 9; 11.5; 14... etc.
Subtract A) from B): X+Y-X+Y=5b+2-5a-1 -> 2Y=5(b-a)+1, when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 1. Then, when Y is divided by 5, the remainder is 3 or 0.5 (Y is not integer), as the values that satisfy 2Y=5(b-a)+1 are 3; 5.5; 8; 10.5; 13... etc.
Then, when \(X^4+Y^4\) will result in decimal without "remainders" when divided by 5.

So, the answer is E unless we are given that X and Y are integers, then the answer will be C.

Agree with you, unless it is mentioned that X and Y are integers, ans should be E.

If anyone thinks otherwise, please elaborate.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
In my approach; if it is not provided that x and y integer; the answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
maliyeci, I don't understand your approach at all and neither I have ever seen this kind of approach in my entire life (i saw this approach only in GMAT forums only).
Can you please tell me from where I can learn this or pls. explain me a bit in detail, if you feel its practically possible. Will you mind if I send you a PM regarding this.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
If there is a subject that I can help you and someone else. I will be very proud to help. In Turkey, we have a very high level math education. In high school we learnt calculus. In college, learnt it again. We learnt trigonometry, combinatorics and other high level subject again and again. So we have very good maths. I do not know how to teach about it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Sunchaser20 wrote:
Well, that solution on that forum says:
A) X-Y divided by 5 gives remainder 1, then X-Y=5a+1
B) X+Y divided by 5 gives remainder 2, then X+Y=5b+2

Sum up A) and B): X-Y+X+Y=5a+1+5b+2 -> 2X=5(a+b)+3: when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3. Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, as the only values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 9; 14... etc.
Subtract A) from B): X+Y-X+Y=5b+2-5a-1 -> 2Y=5(b-a)+1: when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 1. Then, when Y is divided by 5, the remainder is 3, as the only values that satisfy 2Y=5(b-a)+1 are 3; 8; 13... etc.
Now, knowing that:
- X divided by 5 gives remainder 4, and
- Y divided by 5 gives remainder 3
we can calculate the remainder when \(X^4+Y^4\) is divided by 5, and the answer is C.

But I think, that the answer is E, because:
Sum up A) and B): X-Y+X+Y=5a+1+5b+2 -> 2X=5(a+b)+3, when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3. Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4 or 1.5 (X is not integer), as the values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 6.5; 9; 11.5; 14... etc.
Subtract A) from B): X+Y-X+Y=5b+2-5a-1 -> 2Y=5(b-a)+1, when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 1. Then, when Y is divided by 5, the remainder is 3 or 0.5 (Y is not integer), as the values that satisfy 2Y=5(b-a)+1 are 3; 5.5; 8; 10.5; 13... etc.
Then, when \(X^4+Y^4\) will result in decimal without "remainders" when divided by 5.

So, the answer is E unless we are given that X and Y are integers, then the answer will be C.

I guess this explains it quite well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
Thanks maliyeci.Good to know the level of Maths is so high in Turkey.
I am from India and believe it that the level of maths is too high here in India also.I think that there are a lot of people from india in this forum which will agree to me.Infact I consider that maths is the strongest poin for Indians in gmat.
in case of this particular technique , i think that it sure might be taught at the college leve but i am not aware of it since i never got a chance to study this.
Anyways i wll try to dig this question more and ask you for any help if required.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V34
Send PM
Always as I am here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Guys, I just heard about remainder theorm today :) can you please explain me this statement ?

Sum up A) and B):

Quote:
X-Y+X+Y=5a+1+5b+2 -> 2X=5(a+b)+3: when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3.

It is clear till above statement. Then part went right above my head, can you please walk me through this...

Quote:
Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, as the only values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 9; 14... etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Kudos
skpMatcha wrote:
Guys, I just heard about remainder theorm today :) can you please explain me this statement ?

Sum up A) and B):

Quote:

It is clear till above statement. Then part went right above my head, can you please walk me through this...

Quote:
Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, as the only values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 9; 14... etc.

Ok, lets just simplify this part. We know, that when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3, i.e. 2X=5n+3 (actually, n=a+b, if we want to link it with the main question, but for simplicity it is better to use only one variable). Now, if we want to know what will be the remainder when X is divided by 5, we can use the equation 2X=5n+3, dividing it by 2. As n is integer, there are 2 possibilities: n is odd or n is even.
1. n is odd, i.e. n=2m+1 (m is integer), then \(X=\frac{2X}{2}=\frac{5n+3}{2}=\frac{5*(2m+1)+3}{2}=\frac{5*2m+5+3}{2}=5m+\frac{8}{2}\), which means, that when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, which is the case, considered by
Quote:

2. n is even, i.e. n=2m (m is integer), then \(X=\frac{2X}{2}=\frac{5n+3}{2}=\frac{5*2m+3}{2}=5m+\frac{3}{2}\), which means, that when X is divided by 5, the "remainder" is 3/2

Originally posted by Sunchaser20 on 14 Jul 2009, 06:10.
Last edited by Sunchaser20 on 14 Jul 2009, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey thanks for explaining, I still have few doubts..

Quote:
Sum up A) and B): X-Y+X+Y=5a+1+5b+2 -> 2X=5(a+b)+3: when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3. Then, when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, as the only values that satisfy 2X=5(a+b)+3 are 4; 9; 14... etc.
Subtract A) from B): X+Y-X+Y=5b+2-5a-1 -> 2Y=5(b-a)+1: when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 1. Then, when Y is divided by 5, the remainder is 3, as the only values that satisfy 2Y=5(b-a)+1 are 3; 8; 13... etc.
Now, knowing that:
we can calculate the remainder when is divided by 5, and the answer is C.

So does that mean , you have not considered (a+b) to be even in this case as stated below? why dint I get a remainder of 1.5 in the above case ? I think I understood but you know I am not there yet :( :cry:

Quote:
2. n is even, i.e. n=2m (m is integer), then , which means, that when X is divided by 5, the "remainder" is 3/2
skpMatcha wrote:

Sum up A) and B):

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, lets just simplify this part. We know, that when 2X is divided by 5, the remainder is 3, i.e. 2X=5n+3 (actually, n=a+b, if we want to link it with the main question, but for simplicity it is better to use only one variable). Now, if we want to know what will be the remainder when X is divided by 5, we can use the equation 2X=5n+3, dividing it by 2. As n is integer, there are 2 possibilities: n is odd or n is even.
1. n is odd, i.e. n=2m+1 (m is integer), then \(X=\frac{2X}{X}=\frac{5n+3}{2}=\frac{5*(2m+1)+3}{2}=\frac{5*2m+5+3}{2}=5m+\frac{8}{2}\), which means, that when X is divided by 5, the remainder is 4, which is the case, considered by
Quote:

2. n is even, i.e. n=2m (m is integer), then \(X=\frac{2X}{X}=\frac{5n+3}{2}=\frac{5*2m+3}{2}=5m+\frac{3}{2}\), which means, that when X is divided by 5, the "remainder" is 3/2
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
skpMatcha wrote:
Hey thanks for explaining, I still have few doubts..

Quote:
Now, knowing that:
we can calculate the remainder when is divided by 5, and the answer is C.

So does that mean , you have not considered (a+b) to be even in this case as stated below? why dint I get a remainder of 1.5 in the above case ? I think I understood but you know I am not there yet :( :cry:

Well, in the first part of my initial post I was explaining in details the solution from the manhattangmat.com forum. And, yes, that solution doesn't consider (a+b) to be even, which I have pointed out in the 2nd part of my post, starting after the words "But I think, that the answer is E, because:"
Please, feel free to ask any questions :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sure thanks for the explanation.

what threw me off is.. the remainder is 4 or 1.5(X is not an integer). I was expecting by your explanation , when (a+b is even ). So got confused but now realized that they are one and the same :)

I hope real GMAT doesnt ask such heavy qns :(

Quote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2443 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM