Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Best way to study SC? [#permalink]
just to add why i haven't been doing pretty well in SC
1. Applying the rules within 60-75secs is the key ,something that i haven't been able to do so..
2. understanding the purpose and meaning of the sentence in its entirety
following the rules requires a lot of practice and i have been doing it, though so far i haven'e met success
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Some of the rules are seemingly interchangeable that I get confused looking at them. For example:

xxx because of yyyy
xxx due to yyy
xxx as yyy

it's hard to know what the GMAT wants!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
mrblack wrote:
Thanks. But how do you actually know when something is wrong? I eliminate the wrong answers by the way they "sound" but I do not think that this is a fool-proof way of eliminating the wrong answers.

Practice by applying the approach that works best for you.
There is no fool-proof way because all have their own approaches that suite them best.
I posted the way I do. But you may feel it is not the way for you.

mrblack wrote:
I've started reading a basic grammar book. Hopefully this will help.

For grammar, you should definitely know the basic principles. Learn them from a good grammar book. But the key is applying them in the way you need in GMAT.
From my limited understanding and experiences, I felt that GMAT does not want you to be a grammar expert, but one who can identify sentences that keep the intent(MEANING), are unambiguous (LOGIC) and are grammatically correct(GRAMMAR). Grammar is one of the factors, but not the only one.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
krishp84 wrote:
mrblack wrote:
Thanks. But how do you actually know when something is wrong? I eliminate the wrong answers by the way they "sound" but I do not think that this is a fool-proof way of eliminating the wrong answers.

Practice by applying the approach that works best for you.
There is no fool-proof way because all have their own approaches that suite them best.
I posted the way I do. But you may feel it is not the way for you.

mrblack wrote:
I've started reading a basic grammar book. Hopefully this will help.

For grammar, you should definitely know the basic principles. Learn them from a good grammar book. But the key is applying them in the way you need in GMAT.
From my limited understanding and experiences, I felt that GMAT does not want you to be a grammar expert, but one who can identify sentences that keep the intent(MEANING), are unambiguous (LOGIC) and are grammatically correct(GRAMMAR). Grammar is one of the factors, but not the only one.

Thanks for your insights! Kudos to you!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I should add that doing well is about being able to identify the pitfalls and traps on the exam.
Identifying what they are testing you on is very important.

Sometimes you might think they you are testing you on an idiomatic expression like "due to" vs "because."

But a good test taker will be able to glean the whole sentence and recognize that AHA! - they're actually not testing me on "due to" vs "because" - rather, they are testing me on this other part of the sentence.

Thus, the person who recognizes what is being tested will be able to save valuable time and actually focus on the stuff that actually matters.

But it's not as easy as it seems. Sometimes you need someone to point out these tiny details that can add up to a big difference to your final score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
I should add that doing well is about being able to identify the pitfalls and traps on the exam.
Identifying what they are testing you on is very important.

Sometimes you might think they you are testing you on an idiomatic expression like "due to" vs "because."

But a good test taker will be able to glean the whole sentence and recognize that AHA! - they're actually not testing me on "due to" vs "because" - rather, they are testing me on this other part of the sentence.

Thus, the person who recognizes what is being tested will be able to save valuable time and actually focus on the stuff that actually matters.

But it's not as easy as it seems. Sometimes you need someone to point out these tiny details that can add up to a big difference to your final score.

Very true indeed...that's a good suggestion (hiring a tutor) although I've heard mixed reviews about the GMAT classes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
krishp84 wrote:
mrblack wrote:
I've gone through MGMAT's SC book and have exhausted the purple GMAT OG already. Is there a better way to learn all the tricks for SC? I still don't feel comfortable with all the questions and am looking for ways to actually learn as many grammar rules as possible. Reading through the gmatclub's grammar guide has been very helpful but I doubt I can retain most of the information come G-Day.

Thanks

Have you comprehended all the 5 choices for every single SC question in OG-12 ?
Then applied the MGMAT-SC rules as applicable.

Have you identified your strength/weakness in SC ?
Have you been able to eliminate every wrong answer choice correctly without any doubts ?

If answer to any of the above are NO, then please correct it.
You can utilize the free resources available example - Thursdays with ron videos, Video tutorials, etc if you feel you are really lacking something.

DO NOT MEMORIZE THE RULES - Apply them and understand how it works. It will be more helpful because you will always see a new question in GMAT. So understand the concepts.
May be you can memorize the important IDIOMs if needed and create your own concept notes.
But understanding is more important.

My way - Understand the meaning(cutting the unneccessary words) of the sentence - Check if logically correct - Cross-check the Grammar rules on the remaining options

You can do the first 2 steps in parallel.

How would I analyze my strengths & weaknesses in SC? Do I look for a pattern of right and wrong answers, and if the wrong answers are all parallelism, then focus on parallelisms? Is this correct? Is this method correct? What about the problems that I get correct, and not entirely sure on the rules? Should this question that is right, be put on the weakness list, even though it's right?

You mentioned that you don't need to memorize the rules, just the concepts? Do you know of any web links that has examples laid out, like ( x, x, and y, not x, but y?) on an excel spreadsheet, or possibly a pdf?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts