Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION LOW (GMAT+ GPA [#permalink]
Kudos
ccharles1987 wrote:
...after reading the low gpa success stories and a number of people have done very well on their gmats why is that there is still some rejections?

The reason for this is that there is no magic bullet to get into any given B-school. It's not like if you cross a certain threshold, you're good to go. It's way more random than that:

Just think of the numbers involved here: Let's say that in the top 20 B-schools, there are 10,000 total slots each year for incoming students (just a nice round number, let's assume there are 500 students in each school's incoming class). The thing is, there is going to be a lot more than 10,000 applicants with stellar applications each year. Over 100,000 people take the GMAT annually, to use just one indicator of applicant pool size. There is room in our hypothetical Top 20 programs for roughly 10% of the test-takers (that's assuming nobody who took the test last year or the year before is applying, only this year's 100,000). But not everyone is shooting for the top programs, so let's remove some noise and limit our consideration to the applicants who are competing for the elite tier: think about someone with an 80th percentile GMAT score, which is widely believed to be something top schools want to see. By definition, these people are in the top 20% of GMAT takers, so there are 20,000 of them from a pool of 100,000 total test-takers. Yet our 10,000 seats in the Top 20 MBA programs means there is only room for half of the people who score above the 80th. Long story short, achieving the right mix of stats on paper isn't going to guarantee you entry.

Wharton, I have heard, openly concedes that about 75% of the apps they receive are admissible, which is to say 3/4 of the apps the adcom looks at have satisfactory stats and a solid profile and all that. Yet Wharton's admission rate is less than 20%. The difference between 75% "admissible" and 20% "admitted" highlights exactly how much of a crap-shoot it all is.

There isn't anything you can do to guarantee that you'll get into whatever your dream school is. All you can do is follow the wisdom on this board as to what kinds of activities and achievements positively correlate with landing in the admitted pile, and then beyond that cross your fingers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow you broke it down with reasonable stats. It is exactly a crap-shoot in my case but after making a semi formal strategic plan I see that the things I will be doing won't only be good for an mba but life itself. If i can create a unique story showing that I can overcome adversity who knows what doors will open up. I feel having a good two year plan of what I will be doing is better than just rolling with the punches of life's ups and downs.

I was reading U.sNews Best graduate schools 2012 edition which was given to me at the college fair, do you think it would be best to take certain courses at the schools to which they rank the best in. For instance (McCombs) score second best for accounting, and (wharton) scored first in the finance field. I know after reading your post their is no specific magic bullet but would it show that I am whiling to travel outside of the MA area and can also A's courses at other top tier school?
( just a thought)

I also took kaplan prep course and didn't find it to helpful well I believe in my case, is it safe to say I should explore some other prep courses instead of going back to kaplan when I am ready to study extensively for my gmat test :?:
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, Charles. Just wanted to weigh in on a few things. First, yes, you are young and you have time to prove your worth to a top MBA program. Here are my suggestions:
1) Yes, take a course each semester. This will not only keep you in student mode but will allow you to prove that you are capable of academic excellence to dispel concerns about your undergrad GPA.
2) Yes, seek opportunities to lead at work. Take initiative, contribute ideas, be a team player willing to do whatever it takes to improve operations in your team, your division, your company. Don't just look for ways to lead people in a team under you; pursue opportunities to lead management's decision making. Yes, that is difficult, but that is the attribute that most demonstrates real leadership.
3) Yes, get involved in community service but don't just get involved in a way that anyone could. Instead, pursue roles in which you shape a community organization or community itself. Tutoring one child is nice, but anyone can do that. Find ways to demonstrate that you are not just anyone in the community as well.
4) Remember that you and your profile do not need to be perfect. You should try new things and pursue new opportunities, but keep in mind that not every one of them will work out. Just never lose the ambition to make a difference, and let that ambition guide you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you jenniferbloom,

I have been stressing but all the advice seem to make sense. I was just in a scramble I wanted to make best use of my time it was just the direction in which to go first. Weather it was studying for my gmat heavily, taking courses and which to start quant or business courses, looking for a job more relevant in my field, or as you said actually making a difference in the companies direction, networking, extracurricular activities such as non-profits or starting one? I have so much running through my mind so many ideas.

I appreciate the feedback I really do want to overcome my setbacks and hopefully one day being being ready and showing that I am ready to perform at a top tier program. I know that in undergrad I didn't compete or prove myself in academia but I am and can be very competitive in business world and other things. I want to write outstanding essays that will show he is ready for the next step in his career.

I started today by trying to solve a rubiks cube, having patience and following a certain order, and not letting the frustration get the best of me.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ccharles1987 wrote:
Thank you jenniferbloom,

I have been stressing but all the advice seem to make sense. I was just in a scramble I wanted to make best use of my time it was just the direction in which to go first. Weather it was studying for my gmat heavily, taking courses and which to start quant or business courses, looking for a job more relevant in my field, or as you said actually making a difference in the companies direction, networking, extracurricular activities such as non-profits or starting one? I have so much running through my mind so many ideas.

I appreciate the feedback I really do want to overcome my setbacks and hopefully one day being being ready and showing that I am ready to perform at a top tier program. I know that in undergrad I didn't compete or prove myself in academia but I am and can be very competitive in business world and other things. I want to write outstanding essays that will show he is ready for the next step in his career.

I started today by trying to solve a rubiks cube, having patience and following a certain order, and not letting the frustration get the best of me.

If solving a Rubik's Cube gets your ideas flowing, then by all means do it! Then, put the cube down and get out there to make a difference in your company and community. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
GMAT Club Bot