Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [32]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [26]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1474 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: MBAmission: The Quest for 700 [#permalink]
Maybe this is a dumb question but I have to ask. Is \(C^2_6\) the same thing as 6!/(2!*4!)? That’s the only way I could get the 15 by which you multiplied 3 and 2 and then subtracted 30 from 45.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Its just 3(total teams - 1) - 0
Coz max pts are if 1 team won all the matches & min pts are 0

In This case 3(6-1) - 0 = 15 - 0 = 15

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
logical combinatorics [#permalink]
"In the Mundane Goblet competition, 6 teams compete in a "round robin" format: that is, each team plays every other team exactly once. A team gets 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie (a draw), and 0 points for a loss. What is the difference between the maximum total points and the minimum total points that can be gained by all teams (added together) in the Mundane Goblet competition?

the decision:
6!/(2!*4!)=15 games
Maximum=3*15=45
Minimum=2*15=30, so
45-30=15
the correct answer is A"

Could somebody explain me please why the minimum score i had to calculate as 2*15, instead of 0*15???
I solved it as 3*15-0*15=45...or i just missed that there are no any earned scores when the team loses the game? :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Duke '15
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: logical combinatorics [#permalink]
When a team wins one team gets 3 points and the other 0 meaning 3 points are earned between the two teams in the match.
When the teams draw both teams get a point each meaning 2 points are earned between the teams in the match (hence 2*15).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
good point nammers
the points are split between the two teams, and the question says together
so it's 2 i.e. a tie
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
the question talks about total points of all teams - meaning they are not just interested in any specific team.

every match is played between two teams -
two possible scenarios - one team wins and other loses => total points in that match = 3+0 = 3
its tie - each team gets point => total points in that match = 1+1 = 2

so maximum possible points in any match = 3 and minimum =2

altogether we have 15 games, all 15 can fall in one of those scenarios above.

That's why maximum possible points = 15*3 = 45
minimum possible points = 15*2 = 30

difference is 15.

Galiya wrote:
"In the Mundane Goblet competition, 6 teams compete in a "round robin" format: that is, each team plays every other team exactly once. A team gets 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie (a draw), and 0 points for a loss. What is the difference between the maximum total points and the minimum total points that can be gained by all teams (added together) in the Mundane Goblet competition?

the decision:
6!/(2!*4!)=15 games
Maximum=3*15=45
Minimum=2*15=30, so
45-30=15
the correct answer is A"

Could somebody explain me please why the minimum score i had to calculate as 2*15, instead of 0*15???
I solved it as 3*15-0*15=45...or i just missed that there are no any earned scores when the team loses the game? :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: Mundane Goblet competition [#permalink]
Why we r not taking minumun value 0??

Bunuell..what actually i was doing..i multiplied 3*15=45..

and 15*0 =0...45-15=30..

what i think because if we take 0?? then one team loss is another team win..so it will take same 45 points ...

my concept behind it is rite??

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618548 [0]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Expert Reply
sanjoo wrote:

and 15*0 =0...45-15=30..

what i think because if we take 0?? then one team loss is another team win..so it will take same 45 points ...

How can we have zero points in one game? The minimum points in one game is 1+1=2 points, when there is a tie between the teams.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sanjoo wrote:

and 15*0 =0...45-15=30..

To add to what Bunuel said above, we are interested in the total points obtained by all the teams together i.e. the total points earned in all the matches. In any one match, if one team loses and gets 0, the other team wins and gets 3. So, in that match, a total of 3 points are generated. On the other hand, if the two teams draw, they both get a point each and in that game, a total of 2 points are generated. No game can generate less than 2 points. So the minimum points generated by a match are 2 and the maximum are 3. Hence we do 3*15 - 2*15.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Re: In the Mundane Goblet competition, 6 teams compete in a [#permalink]
Thanks alot Karishma and Bunuel :) U both rocked :)..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[quote]

There will be \(C^2_6=15\) games needed so that each team to play every other team exactly once (\(C^2_6=15\) is the # of ways we can pick two different teams to play each other).

[end quote]

Pardon me if the answer to my question has been posted already, but I do not understand the method some of you used to get 15 games:

Bunuel I am not familiar at all with the notation you used ( \(C^2_6=15\) )

Furthermore, some others here used 6!/(2!4!). Although I can see that it yields the right answer, I fail to understand the reasoning in how and why they chose those particular numbers. ie: 2! and 4! in the denominator. I guess I need to be enlightened about why factorials are a profitable tool here.

In my case, I used n(n-1)/2 which seemed to work okay. Is one method preferable to the other?

Hope my question was clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
IanElliott wrote:
Quote:

There will be \(C^2_6=15\) games needed so that each team to play every other team exactly once (\(C^2_6=15\) is the # of ways we can pick two different teams to play each other).

[end quote]

Pardon me if the answer to my question has been posted already, but I do not understand the method some of you used to get 15 games:

Furthermore, some others here used 6!/(2!4!). Although I can see that it yields the right answer, I fail to understand the reasoning in how and why they chose those particular numbers. ie: 2! and 4! in the denominator. I guess I need to be enlightened about why factorials are a profitable tool here.

In my case, I used n(n-1)/2 which seemed to work okay. Is one method preferable to the other?

\(C^2_6=15\) is a quick notation to say: a combination (order doesn't matter) of 2 items in a pool of 6 items

In order words: how many possibilities to pick 2 different teams among 6 teams

More generally \(C^r_n\) is a combination of r items in a pool of n items

Which leads to the general formula: \(n!/(n-r)!r!\) :arrow: \(6!/(2!4!)\)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
IanElliott wrote:
Quote:

[end quote]

IanElliott, check below link about Combinatorics topic and practice problems. You may find it useful to understand above concepts.
math-combinatorics-87345.html
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64879 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
In the Mundane Goblet competition, 6 teams compete in a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
IanElliott wrote:
Quote:

[end quote]

There are various ways to get a particular answer. People choose a particular method depending on how they think.

Your thought would have been something like this: There are 6 teams. The first team plays with every other team i.e. with 5 teams and goes away.
Now, the second plays with the rest of the 4 teams and goes away. Now the third team plays with the rest of the 3 teams and so on...

So total there are 5 + 4+ 3 + 2 + 1 and you used n(n-1)/2 here.

Another way to think about it is this: There are total 6 teams. Every pair of two teams played one match. Out of 6 teams, we will try to make as many distinct pairs of 2 teams each as possible. For this, we use 6C2 = 6!/2!*4!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either one of the methods. But you must be able to think in nCr terms too because it comes in very handy in many questions. nCr = choose r items from n

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 14 Jan 2013, 20:44.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 10 Oct 2022, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
IanElliott wrote:
Quote:

[end quote]

Hi ,the method is called permutations and combinations.here we want to find the total number of games played by all teams together.Here we have to choose 2 teams from 6 teams to play game i.e here we are using combinations so the formula to find out the total combination how each team can play with other exactly ones the formula is (n C r) n-represents total teams ,C - combination and r - represents minimum no.of teams required to play a game .In this problem n=6 and r= 2

n C r = n! /( (n-r)! * r !) = (1*2*...*n)/((1*2.....(n-r))*(1*2.....r)) .here 6!/(4! * 2!) = 15.

I hope you understood
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: In the Mundane Goblet competition, 6 teams compete in a [#permalink]
total no of games played = 15
max points gained by all teams together = 15* 3 = 45
minimum no.of points gained by all teams together is = 15*2 =30
difference between max and min points = 45-30=15

The procedure to calculate min number of points:

here we require the minimum number of points can be gained by all teams together is 2 points i.e if the game is tied each time will get 1 points making min points each game is 2 points so if all the games are tie ,the minimum points of all games is = 15* 2=30
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
IanElliott wrote:
Quote:

[end quote]

There are various ways to get a particular answer. People choose a particular method depending on how they think.

Your thought would have been something like this: There are 6 teams. The first team plays with every other team i.e. with 5 teams and goes away.
Now, the second plays with the rest of the 4 teams and goes away. Now the third team plays with the rest of the 3 teams and so on...

So total there are 5 + 4+ 3 + 2 + 1 and you used n(n-1)/2 here.

Another way to think about it is this: There are total 6 teams. Every pair of two teams played one match. Out of 6 teams, we will try to make as many distinct pairs of 2 teams each as possible. For this, we use 6C2 = 6!/2!*4!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either one of the methods. But you must be able to think in nCr terms too because it comes in very handy in many questions. nCr = choose r items from n

For a background on combinations, check this post:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/11 ... binations/

Hi Karishma,

Can you please explain why did we add = 5+4+3+2+1 here?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92875 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts