Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [94]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72855 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: Best MBA Books [#permalink]
Just ordered Bodine's book! Thanks for the review.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rux10 wrote:
Just ordered Bodine's book! Thanks for the review.

Let us know your thoughts when you get it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
Have you ever read "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance" by Bodine?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007159 ... 0071598200

Is it good?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
klughing wrote:

Is it good?

I've had it for a few months now but I have not read/reviewed it. :oops: (not home this weekend, so can't do it)
If you are interested in using the book and would not mind posting a review, I can ship you a copy, just PM your shipping address...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
 Q49  V34
GPA: 3.61
WE 1: 6 years - Telecom
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
klughing wrote:

Is it good?

I've had it for a few months now but I have not read/reviewed it. :oops: (not home this weekend, so can't do it)
If you are interested in using the book and would not mind posting a review, I can ship you a copy, just PM your shipping address...

I don't think I'm qualified to give a review because I'm still in the process of getting into an MBA school. I don't know what advice in what books are good.

I did skim through it a little bit in the bookstore and I found it to be good. It kinda give you an idea of how the sentences are written, assuming those are real sentences used in accepted applicant essays.

I don't think there's a lot of book that talks about actual sentences like this out there so I don't know if it's actually positive or negative to read something to this detail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
planettelex wrote:
I found Avi Gordon’s MBA Admissions Strategy to be very useful. It clearly explains the need to have a theme/message underlying all aspects of your application, and it categorises the pool of possible essay titles well. Good emphasis was also put on the planning process which helps you understand your own profile and makes essay writing much smoother. I guess none of that is groundbreaking, but I liked his style nonetheless. Without it, my app would have been a mish mash of unrelated anecdotes.

hmm...just clicked on the Amazon link and something is fishy with the reviews. Does anyone else have a review of this book?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
marymary wrote:
planettelex wrote:
I found Avi Gordon’s MBA Admissions Strategy to be very useful. It clearly explains the need to have a theme/message underlying all aspects of your application, and it categorises the pool of possible essay titles well. Good emphasis was also put on the planning process which helps you understand your own profile and makes essay writing much smoother. I guess none of that is groundbreaking, but I liked his style nonetheless. Without it, my app would have been a mish mash of unrelated anecdotes.

hmm...just clicked on the Amazon link and something is fishy with the reviews. Does anyone else have a review of this book?

I have the book and actually spent about 2-3 hrs reading/browsing through it. I usually like to go through a book twice before I publish my comments, since sometimes I get the wrong impression the first time, but here are my thoughts after the first go. It definitely has some interesting sections/insights. The 19 reviews flawless 5 out of 5 stars are a bit on the positive side but I don't think they are too far off:

Consists of 4 parts:
1. Admissions strategy (approx 45 pages)
2. Profile building tools and techniques (approx approx 30 pages)
3. Essays reviewed and recommendations given for each question type (why mba, why now, how will this program help you, how to tie all of them together, approx 50 pages)
4. Writing and style guide (grammar, style, etc) (approx 35 pages)

The Good & Valuable:
1. Overview of the reward system of AdCom's (what are their key drivers)
2. Applicant Attributes that satisfy/excite/appeal to AdComs
3. Some of the diagrams that show how to overlay the multiple dimensions/attributes/rewards/etc

* Section for international applicants
* Section about the fit
* Section on what happens after the application is submitted
* Suggestions to either pursue a theme application (everything hindges on one theme) or a Profile build-up essay (you build up your profile essay by essay)
* Some good writing tips (useful for some)

Some Food for Thought:
- I felt it was a bit too technical and tried to categorize everything. For example, the whole book is built on lists: 4 attribute dimensions, 22 applicant attributes AdComs are looking for, reward system for admissions officer, etc and this is only in the first 15 pages of the book

- 10 Question archetypes: (it is a list again :) ) the book attempts to give a mini-strategy for each question type and how to address them. It is a bit simplistic but not bad at all. The book does not just leave you there, however, it shows you how to tie it all together and write a coherent story (emphasize 2 of the 22 attributes in one, 3 in the other, etc to paint a complete picture)

I did not find the bio of Mr. Gordon in the book and not sure about his background, but the book felt a bit as though written by an engineer or a person with a technical background who tried to define/categorize/simplify every element of MBA admissions. I think there is quite a bit of value in that yet at the same time it may feel that the author has gone a bit too far in creating a step-by-step manual of admissions essay writing. If you are confused by other books - this may be the exact thing you need.

I would be curious if anyone else had any feedback. As I said, I went through the book only once so far.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hi bb.
There is a newer edition of "Great Applications for Business School"
Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007174 ... 0071746552

[Out Of Topic] Anyway.. I'm still confused, should I get into MBA school or not? Would you like to give me some advice on my 1st thread? Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Juvend
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Juvend wrote:
Hi bb.
There is a newer edition of "Great Applications for Business School"
Check this out: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007174 ... 0071746552

[Out Of Topic] Anyway.. I'm still confused, should I get into MBA school or not? Would you like to give me some advice on my 1st thread? Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Juvend

Thank you - yes, there is but not yet for sale.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way, Paul Bodine's Great Applications for Business School Book just came out - I got one of the first copies from Amazon. Will review soon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007174 ... 0071746552
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
Paul Bodine's "Perfect Phrases" book is also excellent, and it has helped me the most. It shows you structure and what to address. The organization of the book is top-notch. Each of the typical essays is broken down into its parts (intro, why mba1, why us, why now, etc), and commentary/numerous examples are provided for each section.

Honorable mention is Alex Chu's book...solid advice which covers everything from application strategy to post-mba careers. It is from a point of hindsight. It covers what you would figure out 10 years after getting your MBA.

Richard Montuak(sp?) is ok and a good starting point. It is outdated though.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just finished going through Paul Bodine's 2nd edition of Great Applications for Business Schools and the new edition is even better than the first one!

it includes 22 new essays (fresh), plus updated figures and stats, new essay questions, and also a section on Waitlisting (how to get out of it that is) and Interviewing. The WL covers the WL strategy and also provides a case study following 2 applicants (Ross and Booth).

The whole book has been updated and still is the best out there.
Questions and comments welcome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I think the sample essays can actually harm your application. Once you read a successful essay there is a certain urge to just do the same thing. But you do not have the whole story and maybe they got in in spite of something written in an essay, not because of it. I find the books that are just full of essays distracting and know that they can be misleading. If you use them, use with caution.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
I just completed my GMAT journed and, while preparing for TOEFL, also doing school research.

I found Alex Chu's book 'MBA Field Guide' to be very practical and useful, indeed the field guide to the school selection and application and !Important! after graduation process.

The books comes as PDF, which is another plus for crazy travellers like me (I simply cannot afford travelling with 10 kg of paper books or printed materials)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
2 cents about Avi Gordon's 'MBA admission strategy' book
PRO
- excellent overview of the admission process
- it's important he starts with description of tools and techniques to extract your own stories, goals, value, failures etc - all the valuable material needed for high-quality essays
- great breakdown of typical essay questions, their true meaning and traps

CON
- too few practical examples! Sometimes it's hard to understand what Avi means or how to implement his idea in practice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Well, since this thread is not particularly about books dealing with MBA applications, I wanted to know if anyone has had a chance to go through the book titled "Case Studies and Cocktails" by Carrie Shuchart and Chris Ryan? I got a reference for this book from the recently held webinar (on GC) which was hosted by the authors...

Although the amazon reviews are decent, just wanted to cross-check if anyone on GC has any feedback on this particular book...
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
scorpionz wrote:
Well, since this thread is not particularly about books dealing with MBA applications, I wanted to know if anyone has had a chance to go through the book titled "Case Studies and Cocktails" by Carrie Shuchart and Chris Ryan? I got a reference for this book from the recently held webinar (on GC) which was hosted by the authors...

Although the amazon reviews are decent, just wanted to cross-check if anyone on GC has any feedback on this particular book...

See my review on Amazon - I think it is a steal for the price!
https://www.amazon.com/review/R2Z7BIXW54 ... ive=390957
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
bb wrote:

I'd agree with that review. On the point about the book being thin, I conveyed the same to the Precision Essay team after reading it when it was just released. But I think what it lacks in volume, it more than makes up for it, by providing high quality, specific and actionable advice. For readers of their blog, the style and approach will sound familiar and appealing.

Excellent resource!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3