Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers is [#permalink]
karun_aggarwal wrote:
Slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers is expected for the third quarter of next year but will not be at levels experienced in the last few years, according to representatives of the Teamsters Union.
(A) Slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers is expected for the third quarter of next year but will not be at
(B) A slight growth is expected in the number of unemployed truck drivers for the third quarter of next year but will not be at
(C) The expected number of employed truck drivers for the third quarter of next year will grow slightly, but will not be at
(D) The number of unemployed truck drivers is expected to rise in the third quarter of next year, although not to
(E) It is expected that a slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers in the third quarter of next year, but will not be at

pls comment with explainations

I would choose D

A slight growth is redundant when we are already qualifying the growth by comparing it with the growth in the previous years.
Also, IMO - growth in the number is not correct usage, the number can rise...but growth of the number? :no
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Vithal wrote:
karun_aggarwal wrote:
Slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers is expected for the third quarter of next year but will not be at levels experienced in the last few years, according to representatives of the Teamsters Union.
(A) Slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers is expected for the third quarter of next year but will not be at
(B) A slight growth is expected in the number of unemployed truck drivers for the third quarter of next year but will not be at
(C) The expected number of employed truck drivers for the third quarter of next year will grow slightly, but will not be at
(D) The number of unemployed truck drivers is expected to rise in the third quarter of next year, although not to
(E) It is expected that a slight growth in the number of unemployed truck drivers in the third quarter of next year, but will not be at

pls comment with explainations

I would choose D

A slight growth is redundant when we are already qualifying the growth by comparing it with the growth in the previous years.
Also, IMO - growth in the number is not correct usage, the number can rise...but growth of the number? :no

I agree that 'increase in number' is preferable over growth. I crossed out (D) because I thought there's a 'be' behind the 'not to', which would otherwise make the sentence un-idiomatic.

But reading it again now (without the 'be' of course :-D), D is better. I'll amend my answer here to D. :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
isn't "D" missing a "the" i.e. not to the levels, instead "D" says "not to levels :?:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
banerjeea_98 wrote:
isn't "D" missing a "the" i.e. not to the levels, instead "D" says "not to levels :?:

I think "the levels" sounds better, but I wonder if the is required/necessary. We are already qualifying levels by attaching it to the last few years.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
banerjeea_98 wrote:

It's perfectly fine to go without 'the' in this sentence. It doesn't matter if we say 'not to the levels expected' or 'not to levels expected' Losing 'the' does not change the meaning of the sentnece, nor do we commit a grave grammatical error.

At least, that's what I think. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Send PM
sorry I edited it. I change my answer from (A) to (B).

(B) it is.

(A): "the" missing
(C): misplaced "expected"
(D): although introduces new clause not any phrase.
(E): wordy and (it is not prefered)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
any OA for this question ? :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I choose B

(A) I have no definite reason to pick this
(C) a little confusing
(D) seems like the drivers have the choice to be unemployed.
(E) not sure what 'it' is referring to
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Send PM

the OA=D
But im not convinced becuase D says" The number of unemployed truck " say that from 15 to 20.....
but A/B says "slight growth in number" wich means that the if the total change was from 15-20 then the number grew by 5.......compared which for was year may have been 2 or 3 or anything.......

correct me pls

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts