Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ThinkAdmit - Free Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi sid2811,

You have an extra ordinary profile. You seem to be involved in lots of things at various levels. This is of course good from one point of view. But it will be a challenge to fit everything and showcase it as one personality. Anyhow, this can be done by developing a positioning for your personality and creating a structure to follow that theme.

Well, as you also know, in academics, the only red flag is your class XII score, but if you have a valid explanation, you can highlight it in parts of your essays/application. Given that, I'd suggest target a bare minimum of 700 in your GMAT.

I do not see any red flags in your work experience. Though the number, 3.5 years is a bit on the lower side of most B-schools, it is the quality that matters more. And based on your description, I'd suggest you focus on your contributions at your work and what made them promote you every 12 months. :) Remember to show all your strengths through examples in your essays. In addition, do make sure your leadership skills stand out. Your extra curricular involvement is good, but abstain from mentioning every activity in your essays. Select some for your resume and highlight the ones that resonate with your personality in your essays. Make your essays memorable by picking theme for your personal brand.

We didn't 2 things from your description:
1. Which schools are you planning to apply?
2. What are your career goals?

Make sure your career goals are well thought of and are inline with your experience/passion. Pick your schools accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thinkadmit wrote:
Hi sid2811,

You have an extra ordinary profile. You seem to be involved in lots of things at various levels. This is of course good from one point of view. But it will be a challenge to fit everything and showcase it as one personality. Anyhow, this can be done by developing a positioning for your personality and creating a structure to follow that theme.

Can this be done using ThinkAdmit's APPLICATION REVIEW package?

Well, as you also know, in academics, the only red flag is your class XII score, but if you have a valid explanation, you can highlight it in parts of your essays/application. Given that, I'd suggest target a bare minimum of 700 in your GMAT.

A brief of my explanation: I have been playing cricket since I was 11 and took it as my career path. When I was 19, i met with a near fatal railway accident due to which I could not play cricket for 2.5 years. (thats when i decided to pursue undergraduation in management) Before accident, i was focussed only on cricket and have some stellar achievements to justify the same.

I do not see any red flags in your work experience. Though the number, 3.5 years is a bit on the lower side of most B-schools, it is the quality that matters more. And based on your description, I'd suggest you focus on your contributions at your work and what made them promote you every 12 months. :) Remember to show all your strengths through examples in your essays. In addition, do make sure your leadership skills stand out. Your extra curricular involvement is good, but abstain from mentioning every activity in your essays. Select some for your resume and highlight the ones that resonate with your personality in your essays. Make your essays memorable by picking theme for your personal brand.

Can this be done using ThinkAdmit's APPLICATION REVIEW package?

We didn't 2 things from your description:
1. Which schools are you planning to apply?

ISB, Kellogg, Tuck, Harvard (dream school)- On a practical and feasible front I am looking at ISB only, although i dont want to put across the message that it is a reach school for me. I have high regards for what the school has accomplished in a decade's span and also I know a few people who graduated from ISB and are all praises for the school.

Recently, I was researching for a project on the education industry in the United states and somehow I dont see myself benefiting much after graduating out of a US b school with a mountain of debt.

2. What are your career goals?

Make sure your career goals are well thought of and are inline with your experience/passion. Pick your schools accordingly.

My current role is 85% a mix of media, market and business research and 15% of brand strategy consulting. Post MBA in the short term I am looking at a Business research or strat consulting firms (M-B-B-P) to work with.

In the longer term, I have plans to start an innovative research and consulting firm wherein i would be incorporating a unique research methodology to deliver near accurate reports to clients. (In process of filing a patent for the unique research methodology- awaiting to hear from a lawyer friend as to see if it qualifies to be an invention under the Indian patents act, 1970)

What do you think of my chances are for ISB?

Does Harvard look remotely possible?

Honestly, more inclined towards ISB :)

Send PM
Hi sid,

You are right. Under the Application Review package, we cover creation of positioning strategy, theme setting, content and structure setting and refinement of essays to convey the same set of skills that you want to highlight through relevant examples. When we say positioning strategy, we mean doing a thorough analysis of your profile and suggesting you the theme that fits your personality and how you can use that to sell yourself so that your application stands out. At the end of the day, when the adcom has read 100 apps, they should remember you. That's the objective.

Your explanation about low grades is fine. But make sure it does not sound like an excuse but portrayed as a strength (cricket). About chances at ISB, well with the current credentials, I don't see any red flag. You should definitely apply. HBS is very subjective in nature. Based on the objective parameters, you should apply. All in all, it would depend on how you portray your skills in the essays. But I'd suggest you to give it a shot.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thinkadmit wrote:
Hi sid,

You are right. Under the Application Review package, we cover creation of positioning strategy, theme setting, content and structure setting and refinement of essays to convey the same set of skills that you want to highlight through relevant examples. When we say positioning strategy, we mean doing a thorough analysis of your profile and suggesting you the theme that fits your personality and how you can use that to sell yourself so that your application stands out. At the end of the day, when the adcom has read 100 apps, they should remember you. That's the objective.

Your explanation about low grades is fine. But make sure it does not sound like an excuse but portrayed as a strength (cricket). About chances at ISB, well with the current credentials, I don't see any red flag. You should definitely apply. HBS is very subjective in nature. Based on the objective parameters, you should apply. All in all, it would depend on how you portray your skills in the essays. But I'd suggest you to give it a shot.

I shall keep all of this in mind. I cant thank you enough for the eval and feedback.
-Sid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello,

Could you please help me in evaluating my profile. Profile Outline is given below:

- Removed Details - New Page -
please-review-my-profile-137335.html

Originally posted by anordinaryguy on 04 Sep 2011, 13:12.
Last edited by anordinaryguy on 15 Aug 2012, 08:46, edited 2 times in total.
Send PM
Hi anordinaryguy,

In terms of academics, your profile is rated average. 680 is actually not a bad score if you look at ISB's spread. But considering you are from IT background, you'll face stiff competition in terms of GMAT score. GMAT aside, there are other subjective factors that you should focus on to differentiate your profile.

Positives in your work experience:
1. Good career progression in terms of responsibilities.
2. 3 years of international experience.
3. Show experience apart from software development like working on proposals and project bids. Remember to show this experience through relevant examples displaying professional maturity and decision making.
4. Your achievements at work should be highlighted, but make sure you not focus on the level of person commending you or the name of the award but also on what you did to deserve that award.

Most of your extra currics go back to school and college which might not be as much relevant today unless there is a continuity in those activities. Your community involvement is commendable; instead of focusing on so many activities, you can prioritize and highlight your contribution in the significant ones. If you can show leadership experience in some, that'll be great.

With the above recommendations, I think you should be competitive for ISB despite a low GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi ,

Please evaluate my profile.
GMAT - 700(Q45 V 41) AWA 4.5

Academics
Std XII - 78%
Engg - 64% from Pune University (First Class )

Work Experience
1. Working in a large multinational IT company for the past 2 years
2. Part of the SAP implementation team for a European client.
3. Promoted within 12 months of joining the company.
4. Now a senior member of the team handling diverse roles and responsibilities.

Extra Curriculars
1. Founder of a group that teaches football to under priviliged children.
2. Member of an NGO which provides school kits to under priviliged children.
3. At work holding key responsibilty and lead a team of 5 that co ordinates with trainers and schedulers to organise trainings for freshers every month. I am the POC for all Pune locations.
4. In college I was a volunteer at Commonwealth Youth Games 2008 in the Media Wing.
5. I was part of the college football team all the 4 years.
6. At work , part of the group that formed the 1st football team and officially took repersented the company at various tournaments.

I have already applied to ISB in the 1st round. I know my work experience is quite less as compared to others but I am still hoping. Nothing wrong with that I guess.

I know most colleges esp. European Colleges prefer more work experience. I am planning to apply to Nanyang and NUS in october.
Could you help me know some more colleges that might fit my profile ? Or if there are some areas I should concentrate or reflect more? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Shivam
Send PM
Hi Shivam,

Your profile is competitive for many schools. In terms of spike in your resume, it is heavy on sports and community work. Academics is average and work-ex is below average in terms of number of years and diversity. To differentiate here and remove the bias against less work experience, you need to focus on softer aspects of your experience highlighting significant contributions at work, leadership skills, team skills, etc. Being from IT background, it will be a tough competition in both Indian and international schools.

With the current profile, there are 60% chances at ISB and a little stronger in NUS. I'd suggest, if possible, wait for another year to focus on more responsibilities and important contributions at work, with special emphasis on leadership roles and team activities. Also, if you can write GMAT again and get more than 730, it'll at least get you above the average of scores by IT professionals.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ThinkAdmit,

Request you to provide me with a profile eval

1. GMAT - 610 (V30, Q44, AWA - 5.5)
2. Acads: Bachelor of Engineering - First Class with distinction
3. XII - 80%
4. X - 85%
5. Work ex - 3.5 yrs, IT (top 3 in india)
6. International exp - 1 year in an emerging Market (Anchoring two teams for a strategic company project)
7. Selected as one of 20 young leaders by company (direct mentoring by by senior manangement and under the nose of group head)
8. Part of strategy and innovation at unit level.
9. Extra curricular activities include: sports, quiz, ngo etc

Would highly appreciate your views regarding my profile.. i am aware my gmat is low but would like to know my realistic chances..

Think Big, but start Small!!!
WishMBA
Send PM
Hi wishMBA,

Let us look at the positives in your profile:

One year of international experience while leading a top engagement
Selected as one of the 20 young leaders of the company.

For both the above points, make sure you highlight the details in your essays, go one step beyond just stating the award or the role. What did you contribute to achieve the young leader award? What do you do as part of the strategic project? What is your role and do you manage a team? etc

Being from the IT industry, one of the most competitive pool at B-schools, you need to show more quality in your experience. In terms of the number of years, 3.5 years is just below the average at most top schools. Still that can be compensated with high quality leadership experience.

The only red flag in your profile is your GMAT Score. 610 is much below the average of top 50 B-schools. Being from the most competitive pool, with just the GMAT score improvement, you can drastically improve your chances.

I'd suggest you to take some time and rewrite GMAT and target a score above 710.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: ISB (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi ThinkAdmit,
Can you please evaluate my profile and suggest the way forward? I've been extremely keen on ISB, and have been wanting to gain specialization around marketing and social media.

GMAT Score:
690 (QA: 44, VA: 40), 30th Sep 2011.

Academics:
Graduation in Bcom Honors: 70%
XII (Economics, Commerce) : 81.6% (Gold Medalist)
X (ICSE): 80.5%

Work Ex:
4.5 years of work ex as of today.

a) 3 years with Deloitte Consulting (May 2007 - Apr 2010) as a Marketing Research Analyst. (Grew from an Associate to an analyst in 2 years)
b) 1.5 years with Datamonitor (April 2010 - Sep 2011) as Team Lead of Marketing Database Management team. (Lead a team of 25)
c) Joining one of the biggest corporate brands next week in the online marketing and social media domain.

I've achieved numerous awards in both Deloitte and in Datamonitor, and am confident of strong reco's.
I was also the spoc for CSR activities in both companies, and and led a team of 4 that submitted a CSR project to the AP govt on behalf of Deloitte India.

During college, I also led a team in Hyderabad Cricket Associations A-Division League cricket.

Now, my questions to you are -
a) I know my score's on a lower side, so do you suggest i retake gmat, or apply as is.
b) If you recommend I apply, do you suggest i apply before nov 30th, or apply next year? considering i'm joining another huge company next week, will it make a difference if i work there for a year and the apply for R1 in 2012.
c) The final but obvious one - What are my chances? :)

Please advice.
Send PM
Hi nitgulati,

To answer your questions:

1. 690, though is below average than most schools. But it is not too low to not apply. With a background different from most typical applicants, you can focus on areas of your profile that highlight your leadership skills and talk about other experiences that show you are bold in making decisions and are a mature professional. This will help you in making a strong application.

2. This is a very personal question you have to answer yourself. Is the new opportunity in line with your career aspirations? Do you really cherish your new role that would enhance your profile? If yes, then go ahead and apply next year. If you really know that MBA, that too right now is the key to achieve your career goals, apply now.

3. Your chances are good. I don's see any red flag in your application as of now. It all depends on subjective areas of your application and how you highlight them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ThinkAdmit,

I woud like to know where I stand in terms of targeting MBA programmes in UK. I have already applied to some schools (results below) and don't want to spend an extra year to figure out the right category of schools I should be applying to.

Originally posted by oblix123 on 16 Oct 2011, 06:51.
Last edited by oblix123 on 12 Jan 2012, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Merage (A)
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Hello ThinkISB,
Thanks for the wonderful service. I would appreciate if you could please evaluate my profile.

GMAT Score - 610 (took it on October 14)
-> I was aiming around 680 and in retrospect I see a couple of things that affected my score.
-> I am working on a startup enterprise which takes a good amount of time from my schedule.
-> A salesman at the family business met with an accident two days before the exam which pulled me off schedule.
-> I hit the wall in the english section (due to lack of rest) and performed miserably.
Now, I am planning on taking the exam again but with only a month left for the deadline not sure if it is a good idea.

Academia -
10th - 75% (ICSE)
12th - 20% (CBSE)
Bachelors Degree - Mechanical Engineering (Punjab Technical University) - 75%
Masters Degree - Engineering Management (Missouri University of Science & Technology) - GPA - 4/4

Academic Achievement -
10th
-> Was selected for and worked with Young Christian Students/Young Students Moment in Calcutta at Mother Teresa's Ashram.
-> Conceived the idea and lead a group of 25 students (Leadership Team) to manage a cultural show (with around 100 participants) to collect money for leprosy patients.
-> Bhangra School Team Captain. Won various state level and a national level cultural competition.

Undergrad College
-> Vice-President - Tech-Fest 2005.
-> Lead a team of 4 to design and develop robotic car for competition at IIT, Powai
-> Member of various technical societies

Grad College
-> Elected President for the Graduate Student Body
- Increased participation from 8 to 42 students
- Initiated, developed & passed bill for honorary salaries for the Executive Board
- Conceived, initiated and overlooked the development of the Organization's website
- Rebranding of the Organization
- Instrumental in Obama's Election Campaign
-> Published Conference Paper and Thesis on Organizational Behavior and Experiential Learning
-> Sat on the board of various committees - 'Graduate Admissions - Process Improvement Task Force', 'International
Affairs Committee', 'Fee Structure & Stipend for Graduate Students', 'University Name rebranding committee'
-> Leadership Award - Engineering Management Department
-> Awarded Membership of Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honor Society)
-> Awarded Membership of Engineering Management Honor Society

Work Experience -
Part-Time Work
-> Family Business (with Undergrad Degree)
- Participated in Logistics and Warehouse Management
- Made sales calls on retailer outlets
-> Research (with Grad Degree) - Research Assistant
- Published and Presented a paper at the Milwaukee Conference
- Successfully finished my thesis on Organizational Behavior
- Delivered lectures on Constructive Controversy and improving team communication
-> Co-Op - Monsanto (6 months) - Business Analyst
- Managed inventory of 300 plus handheld on US plants
- Successfully finished the overhaul of 200 handhelds and conducted several tutorial workshops for plant personnel
- Conceived the idea, pitched and got funded for the idea of 'Co-Op connections website'
- Lead a team of 35 co-ops to successfully finish the project.
- Trained colleagues on Organizational Behavior

Full-Time Work
-> Monsanto (1 year 8 months) - Business Analyst
- Improved Processes that saved the company a couple of thousand dollars every quarter.
- Initiated and documented different processes on the business side and how IT helps support those processes.
- Acted as a liaison between business and IT to improve processes
>>Left Job because the company was putting me into core IT and I wanted to start
something of my own<<

-> Family Business (5 months) - Inventory and Warehouse Management
- Redesigned the billing process
- Applied FIFO strategy for managing inventory
- Managed warehouse to place items so that the time of processing an order is decreased
>>Took leave from the business to startup my own enterprise<<

-> Entrepreneurship - CEO, Propriter
- Idea Conception, development with technical support from friend's company.
- Pitched in front of investors and am still doing so.
>>Out of money for now and the project is stalled<<

Advice -
I would really appreciate if you could please let me know whether I should take the GMAT again or should I concentrate on my essays.

I apologize for such a long write up but thought I should put this through in order for you to give me the right advice.
Send PM
oblix123 wrote:
Hi ThinkAdmit,

I woud like to know where I stand in terms of targeting MBA programmes in UK. I have already applied to some schools (results below) and don't want to spend an extra year to figure out the right category of schools I should be applying to.

My profile:
GMAT: 740
Current status: Indian citizen, UK Permanent Resident
Education: IIT-Bombay Dual degree 2003. GPA 6.91 (its low)
Work-ex: 3 year in India, 5+ years in UK. Total 8+ years. Currently working in UK
International work ex: Have been to around 30 countries for various assignments while living in UK
Sector: IT (too competitive for B-school applications I guess)
Company: Worked for Motorola while in India, now working for a small company (25 people) in UK
Designation: Services Manager (Reports to CEO).
Work profile: Resposible for programme management, professional services and applications development. Speaker in trade shows, etc ...
Extra-curriculars: Loads of them during and school and college years in the area of sports and performance arts. Currently involved in sports coaching in UK for juniors and also a non-profit club committee member.
Expectations: Want to work in UK post MBA in business development area to start with. Long term is not clear - may be UK or India. Definitely not US - have been there many times for work/holidays and its not my type.

Recent results: Insead jan 2012 R3 (rejected), Judge R1 sep 2012 (rejected), LBS/cranfiled 2012 (applied and waiting), Said 2012 (will apply). Thinking about ISB too (applied there 6 years ago, was shorlisted for interview but eventually rejected).

Should I be targeting a different set of schools (May be some in US, which may allow job prospects in UK after the course)? Waiting for comments ....

Hi oblix123,

Your profile is great and is favorable for schools that you have applied to. Your low undergrad GPA is compensated to some extent by your GMAT score. Your industry competition is overcome by your quality of experience and international experience. It is just that your story in your application has to be made coherent and should bring out your skills in agreement with your career goals.

If you want to work in UK in the short term, you should apply to British or European schools. Definitely go ahead with Said, but consider HEC, IE and IMD as well. Your profile is strong for ISB, but chances of getting a job in UK after ISB are slim.

Hope this helps.
Send PM
Hi reservoir11,

You have a very interesting profile and I'm sure you'll have interesting stories to tell in your MBA app as well. Dissecting the elements of your profile, your masters GPA is great but the GMAT Score is low. You might get a good univ but your GMAT Score might play a spoilt sport.

All decisions you have taken to switch industries or companies are well explained. The only eyebrow raising part in your profile is your entrepreneurship journey. Why did you start that? what was it? Why did it fail? And what did you learn? Explain all of this in your apps and supplement it with the reason to do your MBA. The MBA should fit well into your career plan and showcase yourself as a person mature enough to take professional decisions.

I would say apply this year with well thought of essays since there is not enough time to retake the GMAT. If all goes well, good enough. If not, rewrite the GMAT with good preparation, target a score around 700 and then apply again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
Send PM
Hi,

I am M/32/India and has 11 years work-ex in education management. Have been handling online education business on my own in the company from the last 6 years. I have been dealing with B2B clients from the US, Canada, and the UK. scaled this department to be one of the leading revenue source for the company. Here are my details

GMAT: 690 (Q50, V32)

Education: Production Engg (7.5/10) in 1999. Since then have been working with the same company and have assumed mostly entrepreneurial roles at different stages of my career progression.

Done six month's executive education from IIMC in 2004.

extra-curriculum activities:

• Was captain of the college cricket team.
• Participated in inter engg. college badminton tournaments.
• Member of the intra college volleyball winning team.
• Directed and won the skit at a district level skit competition.

what do you think about my profile for ISB?

Cheers!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3