Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Re: HEC Masters Programmes [#permalink]
I don't think that you have to become fluent for the Grand Ecole program. Some level of French would be a plus, though. In terms of living or getting around, everything was fine for me. I know basically nothing when it comes to French. I wanted to learn, but had no free time.

For working in France, though, you would need a very high level of French language skills. And to be honest, nobody in this situation could learn the necessary amount in two years. Fortunately, a number of internships don't require French.

The job market is bad everywhere in the West, so you will face some challenges there. HEC has a pretty good placement record, which is a plus.

Having a quantitative background, or at least the ability to think in those terms, is definitely a plus for finance. It's even more so for the MMFE.

I don't know too much about the above-mentioned St. Gallen degree (I applied to the MIF, though). This school's strength is felt mostly in the Germanic areas (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein).

I have no idea why the placement report is two years old.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
1. I meant for the Finance Course would I NEED to be strong quantitatively ? Since you've done the MMFE, what quant topics are you expected to be proficient in ? Some examples?

2. If I cannot reach the level of french required, how do internationals work in France? As you mentioned that we will have to work in France to get the maximum benefit ?

3. Which one is the better school ? HEC, ESCP, EDHEC, EM Lyon or ESSEC ?
Can you rank them? if possible.
SVP
SVP
1. You need some level of math for finance, but probably nothing more than calculus. It might help to have some background in basic linear algebra. A big, big help comes from Microsoft Excel. The stronger you are in Excel's applications for finance, the easier your life will be.

2. If you don't have a high level of French, then the job market in France becomes very limited. The HEC brand is recognized all over Western Europe, so you have opportunities in Switzerland and the UK.

3. HEC ranks first, but I'm not sure about the others.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
1. Well then, as you say that you're not proficient in French and you are pursuing MMFE, what do you plan to do ? Will you still work in France ?

2. Is it possible to get a job in an office in France that operates in English ? I've been to Paris, it will be very very difficult to survive there without knowledge of the French Language. IMHO
SVP
SVP
First, sorry for the late reply. When your post appeared, I thought it was from a different thread - one that died over two years ago. That' why I didn't respond. Again, my apologies.

1. I never actually planned to live and work in France. Although I'm in Asia at the moment, the UK or Switzerland (specifically Geneva or Zurich) are realistic options for me.

2. They probably exist, but it will be difficult to secure a placement (beyond an internship) in such cases due to their limited availability and stiff competition from all the other foreign business students. You really need French proficiency to live and work in France; I don't think that there's a way around this. In fact, I recently received an email from HEC staff about this issue. A number of companies simply won't even consider applicants who lack a certain level of French competency. Perhaps these companies have branches in the UK. That would be a more realistic option.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
First, sorry for the late reply. When your post appeared, I thought it was from a different thread - one that died over two years ago. That' why I didn't respond. Again, my apologies.

1. I never actually planned to live and work in France. Although I'm in Asia at the moment, the UK or Switzerland (specifically Geneva or Zurich) are realistic options for me.

2. They probably exist, but it will be difficult to receive a placement (beyond an internship) in such cases due to their limited availability and stiff competition from all the other foreign business students. You really need French proficiency to live and work in France; I don't think that there's a way around this. In fact, I recently received an email from HEC staff about this issue. A number of companies simply won't even consider applicants who lack a certain level of French competency. Perhaps these companies have branches in the UK. That would be a more realistic option.

okay, thanks for the info.

Now that would be a stretch! So, I guess HEC programmes need to take a back seat on my list now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi akhileshgupta05

I am actually also considering HEC as I am very keen on living in a non english speaking country. And as I also currently doing an exchange semester here in France, I also hope the good grades I get here will make up for the average grades I have gotten in Copenhagen Business School. I just started preparing for my GMAT which I will be doing intensively for the next foreseeable future. So it all depends on how I manage that.

About your concern about learning french I think bmillan01 is right, it will be very difficult to learn sufficient french for a professional career. But I think learning learning french on a just to get around basis is very much obtainable. I took a one month intensive language course in french this summer in Paris, and considering I started from absolutely scratch I am very impressed of my ability my abilty to communicate in french today. If you furthermore try to find a room mate who speaks french or do a little study on the side, I think you would be able to make substantial progress over such a "long" stay. Especially considering you already are used to communicating in two (maybe even more) different languages. A privilege a lot of French, German and English people don't have.

language course . net - is a good website if you should consider doing something similar:

Do you know when the next round of application will be?

Best
Dlejt
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts