Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Send PM
Re: For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight [#permalink]
ALERT: This would be beneficial for those who reside in India. [Issued in public interest]
Few months ago, when I was browsing through "Competitive Exams" sections in a book store, I ran into a book, "Nautical Miles". This book is published by IMS which is a preparation center for various MBA entrance exams in India.
Why am I posting about this particular book? Because being weak in vocabulary, I started reading it. It has got plenty of new words and they are presented as a fictional story. After few pages, or say, after each chapter, it has some exercises which will help you to check how many new words you have retained. It also has grammar sections covering very basic concepts.
There are many like me, who lack vocabulary and need to practice on reading comprehension, who need to revise their grammar concepts. If you find yourself among the same ballpark as me, do take a look at this book. I hope it will be of help to some of us!

P.S.: I am neither endorsing IMS nor publicizing them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,PE,VC
Schools:Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford
 Q42  V10
Send PM
I am in.
I have committed to make progress from 10 to 45 in Verbal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
I am also in just started my preparation My D-Day- 1st November.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I see a good approach...Practice makes a man perfect..!!! Thumb rule is work on your fundamentals instead of rushing into problems...Once your basic knowledge is strong , you can crack any difficult problem along with proper time management ....:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:ISB, IIMs
 Q46  V22
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Bump !!

:P howdy all? hows it going?

Gurpreet
Please suggest few Fiction books to improve on verbal.
I would like to tell you that I referred MGMAT SC book 3 times. However, my SC never goes beyond 70-80%. I am planning to refer PowerScore Bible to improve on CR. You have any opinion.

Verbal Journey: from 22 to 44
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
chawlavinu wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Bump !!

:P howdy all? hows it going?

Gurpreet
Please suggest few Fiction books to improve on verbal.
I would like to tell you that I referred MGMAT SC book 3 times. However, my SC never goes beyond 70-80%. I am planning to refer PowerScore Bible to improve on CR. You have any opinion.

Verbal Journey: from 22 to 44

Powerscore CR is good.
For Sc you can refer to SC grail study guide + 100 questions inside it. Also for SC you may follow this link.
sameer-s-sc-notes-101380.html#p794883
Fiction Books :https://gmatclub.com/forum/books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tehran
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Grad GPA: 4
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Retail)
Send PM
I love the word Motivation and people who love this word. Motivation is simply equal to everything! Best luck, dude
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

I just finished MGMAT SC up until the advanced section, I bought the 25 SC question bank from MGMAT but got 15 wrong... Im going to re read the book again. I took the gmat last december and got a 22 in verbal...

i just started to study again for the gmat... do you guys think I should first conqore SC and then move un for CR?

I have the powerscore bible for CR but i dont know If I should move to that before learning SC wel..
im getting frstrated because I do understand the MGMAT SC book and the examples and so on.. but when I actually do tough questions I get them wrong... can anyone share a similar experince?? I also have the blue verbal book from OG.. should I re read the MGMAT SC book and try some problems from SC in the verbal book?

regards
Manager
Manager
Send PM
marcelosada wrote:
Hi all,

I just finished MGMAT SC up until the advanced section, I bought the 25 SC question bank from MGMAT but got 15 wrong... Im going to re read the book again. I took the gmat last december and got a 22 in verbal...

i just started to study again for the gmat... do you guys think I should first conqore SC and then move un for CR?

I have the powerscore bible for CR but i dont know If I should move to that before learning SC wel..
im getting frstrated because I do understand the MGMAT SC book and the examples and so on.. but when I actually do tough questions I get them wrong... can anyone share a similar experince?? I also have the blue verbal book from OG.. should I re read the MGMAT SC book and try some problems from SC in the verbal book?

regards

Hey, absolutely. GMAT doesn't like those who have a finger in every pie :wink: CR bible is a wholly different project. If you start it without being confident about SC, you'll feel that you have left a portion of your concentration on SC. Do not go on with divided concentration!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
1) Do you perform Splitting strategy well?
2) Check to see which errors you miss most. For example is pronoun issues or modifier issues the prominent issue in the wrong answer you select as the right one? If this is the case, go and read those chapters, scrutinize, better said!
3) Do you read the non-underlined portion well ?
4) Do SC untimed for now.

Without knowing the basics, going to OGs is fruitless; It just can help for error-habit recognition!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
saeedt wrote:
1) Do you perform Splitting strategy well?
2) Check to see which errors you miss most. For example is pronoun issues or modifier issues the prominent issue in the wrong answer you select as the right one? If this is the case, go and read those chapters, scrutinize, better said!
3) Do you read the non-underlined portion well ?
4) Do SC untimed for now.

Without knowing the basics, going to OGs is fruitless; It just can help for error-habit recognition!

Thanks a lot I will re read MGMAT SC again, slowly, and do a few examples. My question is,,, how am I to know when I am making progress?? I like the idea of first mastering SC before moving on th CR... so fro the mean time I will master SC, but what materials would you guys recomend to test my improvements?? just random questions inside the verbal forum?

regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey you guys are very quiet!! how are you guys doing?!!

I have read and re-read the quiz bank from MGMAT on SC, and found that I have trouble in pronoun questions... I have trouble identifing the antecedent....
so im going to review the pronoun chapter in MGMAT SC and review some online material...

can anyone recommend and source to practice my SC questions... I find the forums SC in gmat club to be a bit confusing,, everyone has diferente opinions on the answer and so on... I would like to practice on a good source (not OG, I have been told not to waste those questions until I have mastered the SC rules)
can anyone help me on this?

regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have studied in vernacular medium till 12 grade and my grammar is very poor.Can someone suggest me good book to prepare for sentence correction. I am doing MGMAT, but it does not have enough practice questions. Secondly for RC what I have observed that in actual GMAT RC were small and question were inference type. Can someone suggest good practice material.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Great post! Iam immensely motivated by your post . My first attempt at GMAT didnt go as i had expected. but let me share with you the reason . The only reason which kept me from scoring a 750+ was myself!!!! . my doubts , my insecurities, my lack of confidence in verbal.before the actual exam i had managed to raise my verbal score to a 40 with constant practice .I had followed the same books manhattan SC,RC and CR guide, Powerscore CR bible, tried many questions from Brutal SC and 1000 sc , GMAT prep CR (thanks to someone who put it on gmat club). in my second innings iam much more determined and confidant of myself.hope to crack the gmat finally!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
To whom it may concern,

I m not ashamed to declare that I m quite weak in verbal and as you all know without improving verbal we cannot score well on Gmat even if we get Q51. That's why I have created this thread to share verbal strategy.
I cannot let my dream go away just because I don't know basic grammar rules and cannot master reading skills.

I believe anyone can conquer gmat, anyone can get 750+ its all about fundamentals.
Some people are good at quant and some at verbal, and those lucky kids who are good at both they don't need much time to conquer Gmat. Ultimately we have to build strong fundamentals for either of them to get good score.
Some worked hard during high school and some like me have to do NOW. The reason why few of us score below 700 or 600 is lack of fundamentals and confidence. They ask for just simple english SC and reading skills with high school level quant. Can't we tackle that simple thing? Yes we can but we need to know where we stand and what we want and do the Gap analysis. Be honest with your preparation. Hard work done now will bring fruitful result later just like working out at gym.

One golden advice : Do not practice questions unless you have built strong base of fundamentals, that will be wastage of time and might affect confidence. If you don't believe me just go to "share my gmat experience " section and see how people have improved from even 400 to 700+.

I would like to invite all those who are weak in verbal to share their issues and those who are strong & can help us keep going.

I m coming to the point now.
Verbal has three parts SC, RC , CR.
As per experts SC is very scoring and very easy to improve if we learn the basic rules and practice.
But we cannot neglect the portion of CR and RC. If we can master reading text from the screen I m sure this will improve other two sections as well.

I have read Mgmat SC once though very quickly with no practice. I m going to read it again until I grasp it completely( With help from wren and martin grammar book). Side by side reading fiction books as suggested by BB will be part of my daily routine. Reading those books will not only improve RC skill but also SC section as well.We will get quite familiar with the sentence creation and our ear will detect 50% of the errors. This study of books should not cut the daily study schedule. I will be following 30-70 % rule for quant and verbal. 30% of the time will be spent on gmatclub forum posts and weekend club tests. 70% of the time for Manhattan SC book for SC and powerscore CR bible for CR. For verbal I will follow the slow down strategy given by many experts. In the beginning we should not look for solving the question in 2 minutes, we really cannot do and this will decrease the confidence and we will ruin our preparation.

As per the expert advice creating your notes is very important, if possible on paper. Make proper notes and please don't mind investing some time on it as it will bring fruitful results in future. Next day for 10-15 minutes review the notes and try to remember the things and mark those which are forgotten. Third day again review it and try to remember especially highlighted notes which was difficult to remember.

I m going to follow this strategy blindly and if any one want to join for the improvement of verbal , he is most welcome. I m going to follow manhattan SC and powerscore CR only for SC and CR section.
For RC: Fiction books + daily 1 RC passage.
I apologize for weak grammer and vocab used above.
I hope one day my debrief will have no Grammar mistake. :) :lol:

Suggestions and criticism are must. Please spare a minute for it.

PS: Everyone is different and we have to find our own shortcomings. Try to find it and give it a good fight and those who have similar issues like me can follow this. I m an Indian and ENGLISH is not my mother tongue.

Regards
Gurpreet Singh
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important suggestions by other users.
Pkit wrote:
Wou!
I would like to highlight the importance of golden rule, I have commited this mistake during my prepartion, trying to solve difficult CR and RC questions in less than 2 minutes. DO NOT REPEAT MY MISTAKE! learn fundamentals first and than practice, practice, practice and practice!

joluwarrior wrote:
But 1 thing I will tell you mate --> in this entire phase, do not get bogged down. 17 to 44 is a smooth ride.....it's just that our minds have to be controlled to make that ride smooth...and that's what all of us are aiming at through this forum...It's better to think that "You Can Know" rather than disturbing thoughts that "You Don't Know".

bmillan01 wrote:
Also make sure to read every OG explanation, including why the other options are incorrect. This helped me quite a bit. But, as already mentioned, you first must build up your language skills before you tackle the problems.

PS: bmillan01 scored 730 Q48 V44

Edit: This section will be updated daily with the important replies of users.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
i am in .i want to improve my verbal skills
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
I got lot of inputs from this thread. Will try to implement them in my GMAT preparation.
I am also facing "fear factor" for GMAT verbal section - but only solution is to conquer it!

Right now I am building up my verbal fundamentals. MGMAT-Verbal foundation helped me in basics and MGMAT-SC explained all the types of SC probems and common patterns of grammer skills which will be tested in GMAT-SC questions.

My next target is to improve reading skills. I have to start reading more on daily basis for RC & CR questions.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15