Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Cornell (accepted)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say that I know how you are all feeling right now. I went through this exact stage last year, and just happened to be on here now because I was looking for the Consortium essay questions for a friend. I heard that they changed them this year so I was trying to find out. Since I'm on here though, I want to take a moment to respond to a previous poster - gablaze23.

1. Do you receive admits from the schools first - It depends if you are accepted to a member school, then you are a Consortium MEMBER. If you get the fellowship then they'll usually tell you during your call.

2. Yes, completely ignore the normal school deadlines for Consortium schools. Just go by the Consortium deadlines.

3. Consortium sometimes get calls on a different day. It depends on the school though.

4. You will always have to submit school specific essays, which you'll see once you start your application online. They usually mimic the school's general essay questions. Yes, have ALL of your essays done on the date that the Consortium application is due. You will put them all in to the same system and hit SUBMIT at one time and all of your info and essays will be sent to Consortium and that will be the end of it!

Here is a blog post I wrote about the day that I hit SUBMIT last year on January 5th.
https://money9111.blogspot.com/2011/01/a ... stion.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)
 Q44  V42
Send PM
If you're a strong candidate, you will get into the school whether or not you ranked them first or last. And you can still get a school fellowship even if you did not get the Consortium fellowship. My experience from last year is as follows: ranked UCLA, Cornell, NYU, and Yale in that order. Was admitted to UCLA, Cornell and Yale. Received Consortium fellowship from Cornell and a partial fellowship from UCLA.

jeprince112 wrote:
Yes the schools all get together when it comes down to deciding who will give the fellowship and they all see how the students have ranked the schools. The AdComs have told me that all the member schools are in close communication with one another. So the rankings play a heavy part. You almost need to rank the number 1 school not only as the school you want to get into... but it better be a school in which you KNOW you will be accepted. Otherwise, you may get into the other schools ranked further down your list... but can probably kiss the fellowship goodbye.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Do we know for sure that the schools dont see the rankings until the Draft Day? My main concern is getting into these schools and dont want to hurt my chances of admission because of the rankings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Is there a financial benefit to applying round 1 or 2 for the consortium app.? For instance, would round 1 applicants be considered first when it comes to the consortium fellowship?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
i dont think so. I think the only benefit if any would be on with admissions for the schools you are applying to in terms of Rd1 vs. Rd2
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Do we know for sure that the schools dont see the rankings until the Draft Day? My main concern is getting into these schools and dont want to hurt my chances of admission because of the rankings.

From the research that I've done, seems as if the schools do have the ability to see the rankings before the draft and it may factor into their decision to admit an applicant although the schools are instructed not to use rankings in admissions decisions. Seems as if some schools do and some do not.

Rankings...silly rankings.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Hello everyone,

Doing my research/essays now. I am really curious. I thought we would answer consortium essays, and then school specific essays. Then I just realised today, that school specific essays are actually fewer than what these schools have in their website?? Is my observation correct, are we doing less essays?

I am worried about this, particularly because I am afraid I might need more school specific essays to showcase myself. Like Dartmouth only has 1 essay in the consortium page.

Also, another big concern of mine is that core essays are not school specific. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought we would get repeat questions from schools, and thus get the opportunity to tailor it more specifically to them?
VP
VP
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Doing my research/essays now. I am really curious. I thought we would answer consortium essays, and then school specific essays. Then I just realised today, that school specific essays are actually fewer than what these schools have in their website?? Is my observation correct, are we doing less essays?

I am worried about this, particularly because I am afraid I might need more school specific essays to showcase myself. Like Dartmouth only has 1 essay in the consortium page.

Also, another big concern of mine is that core essays are not school specific. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought we would get repeat questions from schools, and thus get the opportunity to tailor it more specifically to them?

One of the major benefits of the Consortium app is that it requires fewer essays. Now some schools have basically included ALL of their essay questions with the Consortium app. Others have not.

I don't know what schools you are applying to. However, the schools know what they are doing. They are asking you the questions they want to know. The school specific essays are your opportunity to tailor your message. Tailoring your essay doesn't necessarily mean you have to include the "this is why your school is GREAT!" spiel. If a school is all about collaboration then you can tailor your essays to show how well you work with others. If a school is all about leadership and impact, then tailor your essays to convey these things. This goes a lot further toward establishing fit than "I want to go to X school, because." The schools that want to know "Why do you want go here?" include that question in the Consortium app.
VP
VP
Send PM
Invites for Johnson Means Business went out yesterday! Who's going?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Is anyone here in Atlanta for the National Black MBA Conference this weekend? The Consortium is having a MAPS event tomorrow and a bunch of schools are in town having info sessions/discussion panels, I attended one for NYU and Cornell last night and it was really good. If you're in town this would be a great opportunity to show your face and get to meet some Admin.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Invites for Johnson Means Business went out yesterday! Who's going?

I had to withdraw my app last week since Tepper's diversity weekend is the same weekend and they released invites earlier and kept asking for a confirmation...i couldn't hold out and wait for Johnson any longer. Kind of sad because Johnson is my #1 choice but hopefully I can fly out and visit if i'm invited for an interview. In the meantime I'll be seeing what CMU is like that weekend.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know how your experience at Johnson Means Business goes...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
hi all, throwing myself into the ring. aiming for R1 but we'll see how far I get.

background, non-URM but with two ECs that support the Consortium mission (and I've been pretty heavily involved with one of them). high gmat (750+), low-to-avg GPA (below 3.5), top 3 ivy undergrad

one of my top choices is NYU. am debating whether to use consortium app or not... based on my recent visit and info session, it seems like they give priority to people who apply early and have other scholarships to award. I'm trying to figure out if applying through CGSM will actually help or hurt my chances of getting a merit scholarship.

thoughts, anyone?
VP
VP
Send PM
woggy987 wrote:
hi all, throwing myself into the ring. aiming for R1 but we'll see how far I get.

background, non-URM but with two ECs that support the Consortium mission (and I've been pretty heavily involved with one of them). high gmat (750+), low-to-avg GPA (below 3.5), top 3 ivy undergrad

one of my top choices is NYU. am debating whether to use consortium app or not... based on my recent visit and info session, it seems like they give priority to people who apply early and have other scholarships to award. I'm trying to figure out if applying through CGSM will actually help or hurt my chances of getting a merit scholarship.

thoughts, anyone?

Isn't NYU's first deadline the same day as the Consortium deadline? Applying through the Consortium does not make you ineligible for other merit scholarships. Schools have passed on giving an applicant the Consortium fellowship but given a full ride through other available merit awards.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
I just sent my GMAT scores to Consortium today and I could not enter the school code anywhere in mba.com

I sent it to Consortium in St Louis MO. Lol I know I sound a little panicky, but how do you know when the GMAT score has been received by consortium? Do they say in their website?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
I just sent my GMAT scores to Consortium today and I could not enter the school code anywhere in mba.com

I sent it to Consortium in St Louis MO. Lol I know I sound a little panicky, but how do you know when the GMAT score has been received by consortium? Do they say in their website?

They send an email once its been officially sent.
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
gablaze23 wrote:

They send an email once its been officially sent.

MBA.com sent an email saying it's been sent. But does Consortium send out emails that they've received it?

When sending through MBA.com, I didn't know where to put in the school codes (even on the actual GMAT too!!)

It's the "Consortium Graduate School of Management - St. Louis" right? Have you sent yours?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[/quote]
MBA.com sent an email saying it's been sent. But does Consortium send out emails that they've received it?

When sending through MBA.com, I didn't know where to put in the school codes (even on the actual GMAT too!!)

It's the "Consortium Graduate School of Management - St. Louis" right? Have you sent yours?[/quote]

I'm not sure if the Consortium sends a confirmation email as I haven't sent mine in for the Consortium yet. When i sent it in fro Georgetown I only got the message from GMAC nothing from Georgetown. But if they said it has been delivered than you should be ok, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything you could try contacting the Consortium to make sure theyve got them
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts