Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Agree with you scorpionz..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Etreus wrote:
I've started to answer the question "Why did you choose these two recommenders?" and I'm writing very much. Anybody knows any word-limit for this section?

Thank you!

I dont think there's any word limit (probably because they don't see a need for a limit here as generally no one is going to write much here!)

As for me, I've included just one sentence per recommender, briefly highlighting that they've seen my work closely..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Does anybody know whether they review the ppt by printing it out or on the computer? (ie. Could they see animation?)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
tlbkcal wrote:
Does anybody know whether they review the ppt by printing it out or on the computer? (ie. Could they see animation?)

Point no. 3 in the Essay Guidelines -

The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music or motion images.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
tlbkcal wrote:

Point no. 3 in the Essay Guidelines -

The document will be viewed electronically, but we cannot support embedded videos, music or motion images.

To be on the safe side, I submitted the slides in pdf format to eliminate the possibility of formatting inconsistencies that could occur with different versions of power point or different local user settings.

Good luck on the application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I'm in for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Send PM
How is everyone approaching the first essay?

I'm a little confused about how much information I should include about my career so far. I realize they are asking for one's career goals, so it would be pretty difficult not to mention anything about your career till date. Even so, do you think we should limit reflecting on our past careers?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
1. in the "work experience" section - under each job is asked 'number of direct/indirect reports' - this means the number of people who report to me right? not the number whom i report to (I'm 99% sure just want to be 100% :))

How do you interpret this "indirect"? People who report to people that report to you? People from other organizations who report to you?

For example, I've people working directly for me (I sign their holidays, salaries, etc), and other people who belong to other departments but also work partially for me: there are at least 20 workers from other department who collect data once a month during almost a week just to provide us with this data. I give instructions to their boss regarding the way of reporting everything, even if I'm not his supervisor. Are they working indirectly for me?

I think it's a little bit confusing.

Thank you!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Etreus wrote:
Quote:
1. in the "work experience" section - under each job is asked 'number of direct/indirect reports' - this means the number of people who report to me right? not the number whom i report to (I'm 99% sure just want to be 100% :))

How do you interpret this "indirect"? People who report to people that report to you? People from other organizations who report to you?

For example, I've people working directly for me (I sign their holidays, salaries, etc), and other people who belong to other departments but also work partially for me: there are at least 20 workers from other department who collect data once a month during almost a week just to provide us with this data. I give instructions to their boss regarding the way of reporting everything, even if I'm not his supervisor. Are they working indirectly for me?

I think it's a little bit confusing.

Thank you!

People who report directly to you. The people you give their end of year evaluation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

But, in the online application it's written "direct/indirect", so I don't see it so clear... :wink:

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

I don't think you should count people across silos but I could be wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

Etreus-
I think I understand your question since I had the same doubt...I'm planning to call ad com and find out exactly. Will let you know once I have some info..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
isst80 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

This was my interpretation. If you are a manager and you manage 3 team leaders, those 3 TLs are directs. If the 3 TLs each have teams of 5, you have 15 indirects. Total 18.

Yep, what isst said. My manager has 8 direct reports and 9 indirect reports (the people managed by the 8 direct reports). Total team of 17.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
isst80 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Thank you cheetarah1980!

Yep, what isst said. My manager has 8 direct reports and 9 indirect reports (the people managed by the 8 direct reports). Total team of 17.

Got it from the ad-com itself... The interpretation and the illustrations quoted above are spot-on..

Etreus - in your case, the 20 people would not be considered as indirect reports... or at least that's what I understood from the admissions assistant whom I spoke with. If still in doubt, I would strongly advise you to speak with the ad-com and explain your situation so that they can guide you appropriately.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
In for R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sapphire14 wrote:

I'm a little confused about how much information I should include about my career so far. I realize they are asking for one's career goals, so it would be pretty difficult not to mention anything about your career till date. Even so, do you think we should limit reflecting on our past careers?

Yep makes sense..you would have to reflect on your professional experiences to make a logical connection between MBA, STG and LTG..

Don't know what you exactly mean by 'limit reflecting', but if we talk in %s, I would say not more than 20% of the essay should be dedicated to this...This essay is not really meant to wax eloquent your professional experiences so anything greater than 120-125 words might not leave you with adequate word space to detail out the other aspects of the prompt..

Just my personal opinion!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
Sapphire14 wrote:

Yep makes sense..you would have to reflect on your professional experiences to make a logical connection between MBA, STG and LTG..

Don't know what you exactly mean by 'limit reflecting', but if we talk in %s, I would say not more than 20% of the essay should be dedicated to this...This essay is not really meant to wax eloquent your professional experiences so anything greater than 120-125 words might not leave you with adequate word space to detail out the other aspects of the prompt..

Just my personal opinion!!

Be strategic about how you speak about your professional experiences. This isn't the Kellogg essay so you don't need to evaluate your career progress. Just pluck out one or two experiences that either led you to choose your STG/LTG or helped prepare you for to reach these goals. If you are making a radical career switch it would be beneficial to explain what led you to see you're in the wrong line of work.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts