Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Dardenx   Yalex   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Yale - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Re: Darden vs Yale SOM [#permalink]
If your focus is social enterprise, Yale would be perfect for you. The idea of social sector leadership is deeply ingrained in the fabric of the school here. Even the finance kids here all have a non-profit slants somewhere in their backgrounds. If you are interested in social enterprise, Yale SOM's very strong non-profit and educational consulting recruiting would be great for you. Bridgespan, Parthenon, Cambridge Associates, etc. all recruit on campus and we have strong connectios. Even if you want to pursue finance, you have great opportunities to recruit from many of the public finance opportunities offered here...

Regarding your question about switching into finance - I think it would really depend on your background. What did you do before business school? There are a lot of non-finance folks here who go into finance. Investment banks here, for example, love to hire engineers... Or for instance if you have a pharmaceutical background, you can recruit fairly easily into healthcare finance roles whether that be research, healthcare banking or healthcare-related investments...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
My question, essentially, is, how much of a fit SOM would be as compared to Darden, given both are very strong in each of the 2 areas I'd want to be involved in?

Originally posted by SOMguy on 09 Oct 2011, 09:24.
Last edited by SOMguy on 10 Oct 2011, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
I think you would fit well into both schools and both programs offer you very direct benefits. I cannot speak for Darden so hopefully someone there can describe consulting recruiting... At Yale SOM, the advantage may be that you will have the opportunity to engage with our enormous alumni base in the social sector. Even nowadays, literally 25% of the class pursue social sector opportunities...

Have you visited Yale SOM yet? What were your thoughts on the class / community / culture?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MoS wrote:
I think you would fit well into both schools and both programs offer you very direct benefits. I cannot speak for Darden so hopefully someone there can describe consulting recruiting... At Yale SOM, the advantage may be that you will have the opportunity to engage with our enormous alumni base in the social sector. Even nowadays, literally 25% of the class pursue social sector opportunities...

Have you visited Yale SOM yet? What were your thoughts on the class / community / culture?

I'm really looking to tap into that base and pick some brains! I've not been able to visit SOM (nor the other schools), given my frequent traveling outside the country, which really sucks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Personally, Yale brand is hard to beat. IMO only Harvard is ahead of Yale in terms of brand value and prestige (not in business, but in general).

I'm interested in finance, so Yale can easily be my pick. But if you want MBB consulting, then that would be real tough.

But that's just for me. Since I only want to do F500 Corp fin, an M7 mba is not really required and thus Yale and Cornell would be most ideal for me.
Current Student
Send PM
MYCambridge wrote:
Personally, Yale brand is hard to beat. IMO only Harvard is ahead of Yale in terms of brand value and prestige (not in business, but in general).

I'm interested in finance, so Yale can easily be my pick. But if you want MBB consulting, then that would be real tough.

But that's just for me. Since I only want to do F500 Corp fin, an M7 mba is not really required and thus Yale and Cornell would be most ideal for me.

You should apply! Placement into F500 corporate finance / rotational programs is very strong. Our curriculum actually sets you up very well with this path.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
^ Definitely. Yale is top on my list. However, I need to ask whether being a Malaysian works for/against me?

Because it seems like not many Malaysians are getting an MBA...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MYCambridge wrote:
^ Definitely. Yale is top on my list. However, I need to ask whether being a Malaysian works for/against me?

Because it seems like not many Malaysians are getting an MBA...

PM me with your e-mail. I can introduce you to a Malaysian friend here at Yale SOM.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Both Yale and Darden are great schools, no doubt about it. I think MoS nailed it pretty much straight on. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either and you'll be able to have a shot at what you want to do at either school. Darden has a very strong general management program (which is really hard to define, by the way) which feeds extremely well into the consulting world. We also have a strong reputation of sending people into IB and corp finance in bulge brackets. If you get in both schools, then really think about what you'd like to get out of b-school. Like what MoS said, both schools are fairly similar - more secluded than schools in NY, smaller student population relative to HBS or Wharton. Darden does all its classes in case-based form, which may or may not jive with some people. While I attend Darden, I can't personally say that I agree with teaching every class in a traditional case study format, but it is what it is. If you'd like to know more about Darden, feel free to reach out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
From what I collected on Darden,

1. You will work extremely hard at Darden, which is a good thing.
2. Case method will enhance your skill to have an opinion and take a stand.
3. If you are decent, it is very likely that you will get scholarship.

Dislike
3. Participation is heavily graded, so everybody tries to make a point. Essentially only 20% of comments add value.
4. All courses are taught by case method. This is the single most important aspect that you need to research. You will have less time to spend on recruiting efforts. For the same result, you might end up working more at Darden than you would at other schools such as Fuqua, Ross or Yale.
5. Number of students with Virginia roots are overwhelmingly high. For those who prefer a diverse student body, this is not perfect situation.
6. Their yield seems to be miserable.

150,000 is huge investment. Pick a school where you will end up with a great job and good friends.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts