Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Anyone applying to Mccombs Houston weekend program?
Retired Thread Master
Send PM
I attended a webinar yesterday on application tips & tricks, and found out a few interesting things. One being that in the application for the full-time MBA both of the optional essays have 200-word limits. On McCombs' application essay website it still says one of the optional essays has a 350-word limit. The head of admissions said to trust the word limit specified in the application itself. I wanted to share in case you need to go back and cut some words out like I had to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations
Schools:McCombs class of 2013
 Q42  V45 GMAT 2: 710  Q41  V47
WE 1: 8 years Navy
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone. I'm a first year student at McCombs, and a member of the McCombs Admissions Committee. I'll be visiting this site as often as I can to answer questions. If you want to reach out to us directly, you can email us at TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu.

Here are some updated stats for the class of 2013:

Class Size: 265
Application Total: ~2,400
Average Age: 28
Average GPA: 3.43
Average Years of Work Experience: 5
Average GMAT: 691

Good luck to everyone on their applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I'm in for R1. UT is my top choice. I'm just a huge fan of Texas and after being in Germany for 3 years, I can't wait to get back to great weather.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
 Q50  V40
WE 1: IT Consulting
Send PM
In for R1..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Any thoughts about the section "List other graduate schools to which you are applying"??
What does Adcom want to judge from this information?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
CoffeBeans wrote:
Any thoughts about the section "List other graduate schools to which you are applying"??

Hi CoffeBeans,

Many schools do this, and every school that I applied to also asked the same question. It's really just a way for the Admissions Committee to see what other schools the applicants are interested in, since all of the top business schools are competing for the best candidates. It is pretty much just a poll, and should have no effect on the actual admissions decision. Like anything else on your application, I would answer the question completely and truthfully.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
brothersharp wrote:
CoffeBeans wrote:

Hi CoffeBeans,

Many schools do this, and every school that I applied to also asked the same question. It's really just a way for the Admissions Committee to see what other schools the applicants are interested in, since all of the top business schools are competing for the best candidates. It is pretty much just a poll, and should have no effect on the actual admissions decision. Like anything else on your application, I would answer the question completely and truthfully.

Thanks brothersharp,
I was just wondering if this makes the whole "Yours is the best school for me" a little less convincing, since I am telling the committee that I am applying to 5 other schools and probably trying to convince them in the same way. Is it so?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I see what you mean, but I think if your enthusiasm for the program is evident in your essays, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, the school expects that you will probably be applying to other programs. Admissions are very competitive, so just about everyone applies to numerous programs in order to improve their chances of getting into business school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Speaking of enthusiasm, McCombs is a school I'm super excited about. How's your first year been so far brothersharp? Anything cool you weren't expecting?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
method wrote:
Speaking of enthusiasm, McCombs is a school I'm super excited about. How's your first year been so far brothersharp? Anything cool you weren't expecting?

I think the most striking thing for me is the amount of student involvement in just every aspect of the school. Students organize and run, or at least heavily influence, just about everything at the school. For example, some second years felt the need for a selective, specialty organization on campus that would cater to MBA students interested in the interaction between operations, supply chains, and information management. They got support from some key faculty members in each discipline, got the Supply Chain Center of Excellence on board, and started a group called Sigma Fellows. They organized an application process, conducted interviews, and selected an inaugural class of 12 first-year students. Thus, Sigma Fellows was born just a few weeks ago as an official McCombs organization, and there's even an Operations Practicum course tailored specifically for them starting next semester. It all happened because some students saw the need, got support, and made it happen. I think that's pretty awesome, and it's the latest example of just how much you can do as a student here.

And of course, all of this is possible because the faculty and MBA program staff are really great. Everyone is very accessible, and people don't just stay in their offices. We see the MBA program director frequently walking around and talking to people. The Dean of the business school taught macroeconomics to 2 of our 4 cohorts, and the Dean of the MBA program taught my Accounting class for several weeks, filling in for our professor who was sick. He also has lunch with students on a regular basis to hear about how things are going, what we like, what we don't like, etc., and shares what his ideas are for going forward.

Another thing that really struck me was that there really aren't any people here who just go to class, work with their study teams, and then go home. Everyone is just tremendously involved in a dizzying array of activities outside of class, and it's pretty exciting. I always heard people spout the old adage, "50% of business school happens outside the classroom", but it wasn't until I started as a student that it really sank it. As first years, the core classes definitely keep us busy, but everyone takes on extra responsibilities anyway. It makes for a very busy, yet social and fun atmosphere at the school.

Another thing. Breakfast tacos. If you haven't had them before, I can promise that after the first two weeks of class at McCombs, you'll be a huge fan. It must be a Texas thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
I have a question on re-application.
Do I need to submit two recommendations or is one sufficient?
Also, why does texas not have a re-applicant essay?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Friends,

The website does not talk much about how the teaching method is. is it case based, classroom teaching based, or a mix of both? Anybody has any idea on this?

Cheers,
gmatRetake.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatretake wrote:
Friends,

The website does not talk much about how the teaching method is. is it case based, classroom teaching based, or a mix of both? Anybody has any idea on this?

Cheers,
gmatRetake.

The teaching style really depends on the preferences of the professors teaching the classes. Some classes are case-only, like Macroeconomics. Others are primarily lecture. And some are a mix, like my Marketing Management class. McCombs doesn't prescribe a teaching method, so professors are free to conduct their classes any way they see fit. It all depends on what the professor thinks is the best way to teach the material.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
I have a question on re-application.
Do I need to submit two recommendations or is one sufficient?
Also, why does texas not have a re-applicant essay?

Thank you.

You will have to submit 2 letters of recommendation.

There is no required re-applicant essay, but you can certainly use the optional essay to talk about what progress you've made since your first application, and why you are a stronger candidate now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.42
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
I read on the admissions website that the school required official transcripts, but then when the application only asked for unofficial transcripts, I didn't bother requesting them. Once I submitted the application on Sunday and was granted access to the secondary UT graduate admissions website, I realized that they were indeed required. Obviously, I will rush to get these in as soon as possible, but does anyone have recommendations on how to handle with the adcom? Thanks in advance for your help.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.56
WE:Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
redbenjamins wrote:
I read on the admissions website that the school required official transcripts, but then when the application only asked for unofficial transcripts, I didn't bother requesting them. Once I submitted the application on Sunday and was granted access to the secondary UT graduate admissions website, I realized that they were indeed required. Obviously, I will rush to get these in as soon as possible, but does anyone have recommendations on how to handle with the adcom? Thanks in advance for your help.

With the application:
Education History: Upload unofficial transcripts to McCombs in this section. Be sure you have blocked out any social security numbers on these documents BEFORE uploading. You will also perform a separate upload of unofficial transcripts to GIAC after submitting your application and paying the fee. See „”After Application” section below. If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be sent together with the original language records. Each transcript (mark sheet) should contain a complete record of studies at the institution from which it is issued (i.e. the subjects taken and grades [marks] earned in each subject.

After app has been submitted:
Upload Transcripts to GIAC: After you have submitted your application and paid the fee, you will receive an email that contains a link to the GIAC document upload website where you will be able to upload transcripts. The uploaded transcript is considered to be unofficial but will be used to process your application for admission. Please do not mail official transcripts or paper copies of your transcripts before you are offered admission. Sending paper copies of documents you have uploaded will significantly delay the processing of your application. Former University of Texas at
Austin students do not need to upload UT - Austin transcripts.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  28   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts