Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
City: San Francisco
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Booth 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
BStand wrote:
MDF wrote:
happyface wrote:
Just finished the online chat with some students and adcom people ta Booth. So for R1 applications, we will be receiving interview invites in the next few days! Good luck to all of us!

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I submitted fairly early (3 wks ahead of the RD1 date) and I wonder if that means my app will be reviewed sooner than someone who submitted later. I hope so!

Unfortunately, I don't think when you submitted the application impacts the timing of its review. I recall that during Booth Live someone specifically mentioned that all the applications are randomly assigned after the stated deadline and timing of review is not connected to timing of submission.

Interview notification timing is probably more related to reviewer capacity than anything else. This is just a hypothetical, but you could be in a stack of apps whose first review is completed by a student who finishes the review in 48 hours, or you could be in the stack of someone who needs 5 days to get through the same # of apps. Multiply this by 2-3x since there is more than 1 review prior to an interview decision and you can see why the actual timing of an interview notification is insignificant.

BStand, what did you think of Booth Live? Any other GC'ers that went - what is the dress code? Is it sportjackets with jeans, business casual..?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I went to the Booth Live in September. I wore slacks and a blazer. I didn't feel out of place, but there were also a lot of people wearing suits. I dont recall seeing anyone in jeans or sneakers, everyone was dressed as if they were going to work.

I would wear what you normally wear when you interact with clients.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks! I was planning to go with blazer+slacks as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
BStand wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think when you submitted the application impacts the timing of its review. I recall that during Booth Live someone specifically mentioned that all the applications are randomly assigned after the stated deadline and timing of review is not connected to timing of submission.

According to this interview: https://poetsandquants.com/2011/02/14/wh ... o-booth/2/

"It’s a first in, first out (FIFO) process, so the first apps to arrive are the first to be reviewed."

So the earlier you submit, the earlier your app will be reviewed.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
yeah but they also review them all at the same time... so its not as much of a boost as rolling admissions as, a few days at best id guess
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
yeah but they also review them all at the same time... so its not as much of a boost as rolling admissions as, a few days at best id guess

All of the top schools have quotas to fill (background/race/sex/etc.) and I'd prefer to be considered before the rest of the people in my "subset." Submitting early may only provide a very slight advantage...but it's an advantage none the less. Just my 2 cents!

Even if it's only a few days, I'll take it! :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hi guys,

One of my recommenders has submitted the recco by the breath of his skin (and mine too)! on 21st Oct at around 4:57pm CST.

So, judging by the discussions above, I can safely assume that my application would be one of the last to be read, right ?!?! In that case, should I expect my interview call, if I am lucky enough, around the 9th Nov deadline only !??! :)

Best of luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
BStand wrote:
BStand, what did you think of Booth Live? Any other GC'ers that went - what is the dress code? Is it sportjackets with jeans, business casual..?

I thought Booth Live was a unique and interesting experience that provided a campus tour, student interaction, admissions info, etc. all in one well-planned program.

I wore business casual with a sports coat. I'd say I was dressed "average" relative to the rest of the group. Some people wore suits and some people just wore business casual...I think one kid had jeans, but it didn't seem to be a big deal.

I would highly recommend attending if you are thinking about Booth. I've heard some people complain that it was too scripted and that a "mock" class doesn't recreate the true student experience. I didn't feel that way at all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
MDF wrote:
shorttheworld wrote:

All of the top schools have quotas to fill (background/race/sex/etc.) and I'd prefer to be considered before the rest of the people in my "subset." Submitting early may only provide a very slight advantage...but it's an advantage none the less. Just my 2 cents!

Even if it's only a few days, I'll take it! :)

I'm just curious, but doesn't CBS require you to withdraw all other applications once you're admitted through the Early Decision program?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [1]
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
Hey guys, good luck on your applications... let me know if you have any questions about Booth from a current student!

Hey! What would you say about Booth's LEAD program and its potential to "transform" students?

I really enjoyed LEAD. I don't know how transformational it was, more just fun to take personality tests and work on projects with your cohort, the social events, LOR (a weekend at Lake Geneva). I learned a few things, but it reminded me a bit of summer camp (which is awesome!) I'm planning to sign up as a LEAD facil next year if my schedule permits
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
 Q41  V42
Send PM
BStand wrote:
I would highly recommend attending if you are thinking about Booth. I've heard some people complain that it was too scripted and that a "mock" class doesn't recreate the true student experience. I didn't feel that way at all.

You can attend actual classes while you are there too, I've seen lots of prospectives in some of my classes already
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [2]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:
Hey guys, good luck on your applications... let me know if you have any questions about Booth from a current student!

Hey! What would you say about Booth's LEAD program and its potential to "transform" students?

On seeing your question, I instantly remembered a post by rhyme where he had given a very honest perspective about LEAD..I looked it up and it was in the HBS vs Booth thread..Here you go -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-toughest-decision-of-my-life-hbs-vs-booth-full-ride-108405.html#p860235

It's a fairly long post, you need to scroll down to a section he has especially written up for LEAD. (Thanks rhyme for such awesome write-ups!!!) :)

Again, this is not my opinion and I'm not disputing anything what Michmax3 said, but just thought presenting another viewpoint would be beneficial to the entire group..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
Michmax3 wrote:

On seeing your question, I instantly remembered a post by rhyme where he had given a very honest perspective about LEAD..I looked it up and it was in the HBS vs Booth thread..Here you go -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-toughest-decision-of-my-life-hbs-vs-booth-full-ride-108405.html#p860235

It's a fairly long post, you need to scroll down to a section he has especially written up for LEAD. (Thanks rhyme for such awesome write-ups!!!) :)

Again, this is not my opinion and I'm not disputing anything what Michmax3 said, but just thought presenting another viewpoint would be beneficial to the entire group..

WOW! That is a ZOMG perspective! Rhyme sure has a strong viewpoint on LEAD..

Thanks for sharing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

So I had previously read Rhyme's writeup on LEAD and after having gone through it, I think I can give my perspective on it now. They're several points in no particular order.

1) LEAD is a "living" course.
So one of the things I heard over and over again from 2nd years is that the course changes from year to year. Not in a major way, but every year's facilitators get some say in both the content and the presentation. So Rhyme's examples of the cases didn't happen this year (in fact I think the only "role-play" we did was in providing someone feedback, which was actually really neat). This is both good and bad--it means that it recognizes that you can't just be orthodox and prescriptive, but by logical extension it could mean that the value of the course varies year to year (though I would say the chances of the latter are slim).

2)LEAD is not a graded course
Really. It's pass/fail. They just want you to show up. And you will show up, because it's your cohort, right when school is starting, when you want to meet people and the modules are interesting. I didn't see people purposefully skipping out on it or bitching about having to go to it. I can't think of a single module where more than 5 people (out of 60 or so) missed--and even then it was because of valid reasons. The vast majority of people actually like LEAD and don't need to be motivated to attend.

3) LEAD is not about Leadership
Seriously. It's counter-intuitive, but having gone through a lot of "leadership" courses from high school through college and work, I would say only about 20% of LEAD is about traditional leadership as we see in the corporate world. 80% of it is about self-awareness: how you deal with people, how people see you, your personality, etc. There's stuff ranging from ethics to presentation skills. I think a fair statement would be to say that taken as a whole the LEAD program focuses on leadership, but its individual parts do not. In fact I'm pretty sure the only time I heard the facilitators talking about leadership were in the introduction lecture and the wrap-up lecture. This is why people aren't turned off.

4) Actual results may vary
Some modules are really cool and captivated me--the ones dealing with personality and how others see you, for example. Others were kind of bland. I've heard people who said the exact opposite about the modules I really liked and disliked.

5) It's true, the facilitators are the ones who get the most out of it.
Which is not to say that I didn't find LEAD incredibly worthwhile as a student. But the amount of training and coaching you get as a facilitator is very intense. So their experience, I think, is far more beneficial than that of the first-years, which is also why so many people want to be facilitators in their second year.

Finally:
6) LEAD is not a "capstone"
I will disagree with Rhyme on this. LEAD is about providing you with a tool set. What you do with it, is up to you. Booth is the least prescriptive place I've ever been in--to a shocking level even after having read the "brochure" (which is something to think about). This course is not about turning you into a "Chicago guy" or about teaching you the "Booth way" of dealing with others. It's the exact opposite of that, which is why I think LEAD is structured in the piecemeal way that it is. The overwhelming philosophy at Booth is about giving you the tools to figure out your own way forward, not about "normalizing" your abilities and knowledge. I think LEAD is a great reflection of what Booth is about: they're not teaching you recipes and information, but giving you the tools.

Nutshell:
I thought LEAD was phenomenal, but I can absolutely see why it would turn some people off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
dalillama wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
scorpionz wrote:

Thanks for sharing!

So I had previously read Rhyme's writeup on LEAD and after having gone through it, I think I can give my perspective on it now. They're several points in no particular order.
I thought LEAD was phenomenal, but I can absolutely see why it would turn some people off.

Very interesting insights!
I agree with you to a very large extent when you say that it's up to people to fashion best from what they get. I guess, it would also hold true to a very large extent for all courses. Some people might find some courses incredibly beneficial, while some may find them the biggest possible waste of time..It's all about perspective..

I guess it's just that since Booth itself 'hypes' LEAD to an extent by constantly hammering the point that it is the only compulsory course during the program, it tends to get over-analyzed and ripped apart more than other courses!

Thanks again for your insights!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
If you can do Booth Live - definitely do it. Its very very helpful for applicants (last year there was an application review component with admissions that was pure gold). Do as many classes as you can, while you're there. I've found those quite helpful. Conversations with professors are also enlightening.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Hi guys!!

Anybody knows if interviews are also conducted by Executive MBA alumni?

I've been looking for Booth alumni in linkedin in the country where I'm working now, and there's only one single person who attended Booth MBA, but it was the Executive format.

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts