Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT Date: 01-09-2012
Send PM
Re: Ask Cambridge (Judge) Admissions [#permalink]
Hi Conrad,

How much does a low cumulative grade point average affect an otherwise strong application? Unfortunately, due to a series of circumstances, my grades from my early undergraduate years were fairly poor. I left school to work full-time and returned after an 8 year hiatus to finish my degree. My cumulative GPA is only 2.5/4.0, however my GPA for all upper division business courses during the last two years is up to a 3.7. I am nearly complete with my degree in Accounting, Finance and General Management from a public US University. I plan on taking the GMAT in January 2012 and ,based on practice exams, expect to score at least in the low to mid 600's. I know that the only chance of explaining my situation would be in an interview. Does my application even stand a chance with such a low GPA or will it get binned at the get go?

Thank you for your input

p.s. My primary interest is in International Business
Send PM
@EJ3

I would suggest that you try to get a high GMAT. OUr average GMAT is 684 in the current class and the median GMAT is 690 and you should look at scoring much higher than that to reassure us that your undergrad performance is not a true reflection of your academic abilities.

All the best.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge Judge Business School
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-09-2012
Send PM
Thank you for your reply Conrad. I am definitely going to shoot for that 700!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Conrad,

Does Cambridge allow a student to defer studies for a year?

I am very interested in the MBA program right now but am intending to enter for the 2013-2014 year so that I may get a year more experience and work internationally. If I apply for the 2012 year and am accepted, is it possible to defer for one year, or do I have to decline and completely re-apply for 2013?

This brings up another question. If I apply for the 2012 school year and am rejected, is it possible that Cambridge admissions can provide feedback as to what my shortcomings were? If I were rejected for 2012, it would be nice to know what I can do to improve my chances for 2013, if anything at all.

Thanks,
Aaron
Canada
Send PM
Aaron

We do allow deferrals but candidates must demonstrate that the additional year that they take out will enhance their overall application. But if you are set on starting in 2013, the question would be why apply now when the extra year working would, in your view, give you more international work experience? You could do some prep now, e.g. sit for GMAT and gather undergrad transcripts if those activities become more difficult in the coming year.

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: Cambridge '14
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,

I have a question regarding Cambridge's first essay where I am supposed write about issues in my sector in next 3 years. All my career I have worked for Indian IT Giants like Infosys, Wipro and TCS. Should I say my sector as Indian IT sector or I have to talk around IT sector in general?

Thanks,
Shabnam
Send PM
The Cambridge MBA has established a £10,000 bursary for candidates with a professional military background. You can read more about the bursary at

https://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... -military/

Feel free to post any questions about the bursary if you are interested.

Kind regards.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello! Would it be possible to visit Judge sometime around late Janurary or early February? Do you have any events planned for then? Cheers.
Send PM
@LatinAmericanMBA

We will have another Open Day, probably in Feb but we have not confirmed the details. If you are travelling through Europe, you are welcome to visit the school. Just drop us an email at mba-enquiries@jbs.cam.ac.uk and we will arrange for someone to meet you.

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thanks Conrad! Will do that, and see you then :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Dear Conrad,

Thanks for answering my previous questions as it has been very helpful in my MBA search.

The Cambridge MBA curriculum lists "Summer Activities" from July-August the year of graduation along with a variety of options a student can choose from. I was wondering if a student is allowed to complete an internship of his or her choosing during this period?

Or hypothetically if I were accepted to a summer associate internship that lasted from June-August the year of graduation, would I be allowed to participate in it if I attended Cambridge?

Thanks again,
shanghaizzle (real name omitted this time for online privacy :-D )
Send PM
@Shanghaizzle

Yes, you can take up an internship during the summer months that would count towards your Summer Activity. I know of some students who left the day after their last class to start their summer internships.

Kind regards

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I have Two questions......

1.I want to know How is Cambridge unique from other business schools?

2.I have 2.5 Years Exp in a software industry and i have 86.5% in my 10th standard,88% in my high school and 81.1 in my under-graduation where do i stand in getting into Cambrdige?

Thanks in advance.........:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Conrad,

I have applied to Mfin course a week back and had few questions.
1) What is the class size you are looking at for your mfin batch starting in 2012?
2) What is the number of applications that you receive for your mfin course?
3) I have read somewhere that JBS conducts interview in India too. Is my information right?

Regards,
Send PM
Flavius

I can't answer the MFin questions per se but we have about 45 students this year. The MBA program will be conducting interviews in India at the end of the year but as far as I know, there are no plans for the MFin program to do so.

Good luck with your application.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello Conrad,

As per latest announcement in UK Border Agency website, it states the following-

"The post study work route, which has allowed graduates free labour market access, will be closed and students wishing to stay and work will need to apply under the skilled workers visa route . There will also be new time limits on student visas and tougher rules on work placements."

This announcement came on 2 Nov and hence looks like they are going to further strict the immigration clauses.

How does applying under the skilled workers visa route different than applying from a post study work route ?

As a college representative, do you have any info on what more changes are they planning to do in terms of "new time limits" on student visas. It's already only 16 months for a 12 month program. Are they thinking of abolishing even these 4 months and any insight into the supposedly tougher work placements?

I tried looking into your blog under the tag "Visa" but couldn't find any new info. If you can throw some light on the recent developments, i'll highly appreciate that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Concentration: International Business
Schools:Tuck, Duke, Cambridge, Said
Send PM
Hi Conrad

I am planning to apply to Cambridge in Round 2. One of my recommender will be able to submit the reco before the deadline. But my other recommender got some last minute work because of which he might not be able to submit my reco before the Round 2 deadline.

My question is, in case my recommender is a little late in submitting my reco (may be 2-3 days late), can I still be considered for Round 2 or will be then be considered for Round 3.

Please let me know what's the school's policy on this.

Thanks
Mn2010
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts