Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 2: 640  Q49  V28
Send PM
Re: 760 (Q50, V44) Debrief [#permalink]
Wow Congratulations mate!! You nailed it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
sddhrthsn wrote:
Further to: https://gmatclub.com/forum/760-q50-v-44-couldn-t-mark-last-quant-question-122378.html

Hi Guys, after much procrastination, here is the debrief:

Exam Date: 26th October
Registered on: 15th July

Total Study time: 3 months, but most prep was back-loaded. Started serious prep around mid September. However, in my opinion one needs around 3 months of time (with date taken).

Section Strategies:

Quant: I just did the (hard) questions from OG 12. I was easily scoring 51 in most of my tests except for one where i scored 49. My quant is strong, so I didn't need to do much. In retrospect (50 :( ), I should have practiced more.

Verbal
This is where I put most of my efforts. I used the following resources: MGMAT Sentence Correction Guide, Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible & OG 12 & Verbal Guide 2 for practice. YOU NEED THESE AND THESE ONLY TO CRACK THE GMAT VERBAL. Honestly, nothing else.

Sentence Correction: MGMAT is a really really good book. Finish every chapter sincerely and do the in-chapter exercises by following the instructions. Each chapter has instructions before the in-chapter exercises and the OG practice questions. It is essential to follow the instructions and do what is asked. For example, if the instructions ask you to identify the parallel markers in each sentence, then you Damn well should do that. The point is that you might be able to mark the correct answer to a given question just because it feels right. However, if you do so without understanding the concept, then you have just wasted the question. Do not let a single question go waste.

Critical Reasoning
: Powerscore is the last name here. Just read the whole book and solve all questions. Follow the instructions, simple as that.

Reading Comprehension
Once you have done the Critical Reasoning(CR) part, some of the difficult questions of RC are also covered in the CR questions. After finishing CR, just refer one of the forums on Reading Comprehension. Understand the few strategies available. Personally, I followed the paraphrasing method (wherein you write down the paragraph in few words), because it increased my understanding. Reading speed was not an issue for me in the first place, so didn't bother with that.

TAKE NOTES I was able to revise SC three times, just because I had made my notes properly. It really helps. ditto for CR.

IPAD APP i also bought the gmatclub ipad app. it is quite handy and useful. i was able to specifically target the areas that i wanted to focus on. BUT PLEASE DON'T GO AND BUY AN IPAD JUST TO PREPARE FOR THE GMAT :-D

[b]test[/b] i bought the MGMAT tests, took only 3 of them, and then took the two official tests. scored 690, 730, 690 (MGMAT) & 740, 770 (day before) (Official Prep)

Once again GMAT Club, thanks a lot for all the help....

ps: it would be a good exercise to find GMAT grammar errors in my post above... writing correct english is such a pain... :-D

Great achievement dude. Very inspiring.

By any chance did u happen to use grockit at all for gmat prep?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
congrats! 770 is a massive score !

I would like to know how the MGMAT tests compare in terms of difficulty to the real GMAT ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Congrats for the awesome score :)

Are you a native speaker by any chance??
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37298 posts