Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
SalarymanJ wrote:
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device

thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
mbagirl23 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device

thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?

Interview invites start trickling out around 3 weeks after the application deadline and will continue to come out every week until may-ish. If you can get to NY to interview on campus I would. It would show them you favor NYU and they are pretty into that. I don't know if it makes a huge difference for interviewing in london vs US as far as admittance, but the sooner you get your interview done the better.

-J
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
mbagirl23 wrote:
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!

They know differences in difficulty/grading between various countries -- I wouldn't worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.

Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Kudos
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.

Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks

Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cwhs wrote:
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:

Hi cwhs,

Thanks

Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.

Definitly get in touch with the Students Ambassadors. They are so helpful. You can arrange a call with them and ask all your questions. They can also put you in contact with someone in your goal industry if you are a carreer switcher.
I din't try that but there must be a way to get in touch with alumni in your city...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
app2012 wrote:
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?

I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
in for R1 and after a Booth and Wharton reject I am sincerely hoping this one works !
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ls413 wrote:
app2012 wrote:

I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.

I did mention very briefly why Stern in the first essay. Try to have minimum overlap between first and second essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?

i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
SalarymanJ wrote:
gpb14 wrote:
I've got a few questions for the current students (or anyone else who may know). I originally intended to apply in R1 but don't think I'll have a solid application ready in time. Can you guys help me with the following questions:

1) Stern's website says R1 applicants are given priority consideration to merit scholarships. How much of an advantage do they have? For example, are 75% of scholarships typically awarded to R1 applicants?

2)Is there an advantage to applying earlier in R2 (e.g., December 1 vs. January 15)? I'm still confused by Stern's concept of rolling admissions. Do they review earlier applications first, or do they simply render decisions on a rolling basis (regardless of when you submitted)?

Thanks!

1). Of students with Stern scholarships I talked to, all of them received them in R1. I think Stern gives the majority of the scholarships out in R1 partly because R2 is so late in the year and they need to be competitive with other schools so if you are applying in R2 you will need to be really good or really lucky to get one. I would encourage you to apply in R1 if at all possible.

2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.

Class of 2013 Sternie here. Regarding scholarships, a number of people including myself got ours in R2. The common pattern seems to be really high GMAT scores like at least higher than 730, not necessarily impressive backgrounds. I would say Stern is very generous with scholarships and if you want to get one, either 1) apply early or 2) ace the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...

I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
BlueRobin wrote:
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.

i sent an email to admissions because i was worried about what you said. i've copy/pasted their response:
Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to follow up. Postmark date refers to the date stamped on an item of mail when processed by the Postal Service.

The Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications to NYU Stern's Full-time MBA program beginning in Fall 2012 after the November 15, 2011 deadline. Within a few weeks of that date, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application, and providing you with login information for our Application Status Check Website. Information regarding the status of your application as well as information about any potential missing material will be communicated via the Application Status Check Website.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I have a quick question regarding the NYU Stern work history form.

Given the proposed layout I'm concerned with these boxes:

Position/Title - I have a number of promotions and have changed career mid-way through my experience, the Stern Work History form seems to leave little room to 1) explain my responsibilities in each role (more so than the few achievements as listed in my CV) 2) provide more than a couple of words of text for each box (at least this is the impression I get when the template is in excel)

Reason for leaving - is promotion sufficient if I am remaining with the same employer, or are you guys just listing your most senior role at each job?

Other apps seem to give more room to outline what you have done and your responsibilities with each employer/associated with a promotion. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback here, I don't want to be to brief but I think a 5 inch box full of text just looks weird/isn't what they are asking for here....

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts