Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 2.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q39 V44
GPA: 3.09
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I went under review on 10/24....definitely starting to get worried.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
International applicant.. Went on review on 21st Oct.. :shock: Waiiiting !!

Originally posted by sujs71287 on 03 Nov 2011, 23:11.
Last edited by sujs71287 on 10 Nov 2011, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Would anybody happen to know whether or not deployed military applicants are typically lumped with international applicants? I guess we would be considered "overseas", but I'm not sure if this might be why I haven't received an invite yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
jjborne wrote:
Would anybody happen to know whether or not deployed military applicants are typically lumped with international applicants? I guess we would be considered "overseas", but I'm not sure if this might be why I haven't received an invite yet.

If you are OCONUS with an FPO/APO type address then my guess is that for interview purposes you're considered international. I'm not a subject matter expert on Johnson admissions, but if you're deployed then you might get a request for a phone interview (so I guess it's time to start talking to the dudes that control the iridium sat phones). If you're simply posted abroad and have access to Skype, then they might ask you to do that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
No news from Cornell. Under review since 10/25. I guess its time to move on... best of luck everyone!!

Cheers!
lseguy
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
LSEguy wrote:
No news from Cornell. Under review since 10/25. I guess its time to move on... best of luck everyone!!

Cheers!
lseguy

My application was under review by Friday, October 21st, but I did not get the interview invite until Tuesday, November 1st. It took them seven business days to send me the invite. It has only been eight business days since your application went under review. If I were you, I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Does anyone know how the interview invitation process works at Cornell? If we don't receive an invite within 10 days after the application went under review (seems to be the case for everyone who received an invite so far), does that mean that it is not looking good? Is there any current student on this forum who can answer this?

Also, are there multiple reviewers looking at the application similar to how it is for most other top schools? If that is the case, I am just thinking even if the first reviewer doesn't send out an invite, the second reviewer might??

Thanks in advance for answering the questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q39 V44
GPA: 3.09
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
I went under review on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything. Do you really think they finish the application reviews that quickly? I assumed with the level of scrutiny of such a highly ranked school, it would take them awhile to get back to most applicants.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
biehniac wrote:
I went under review on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything. Do you really think they finish the application reviews that quickly? I assumed with the level of scrutiny of such a highly ranked school, it would take them awhile to get back to most applicants.

My take on the process is that your essays need to go through two or three readers before the final decision is made. Once the essays are read by the first reader, they have the option to send out an invitation to interview if they feel that your essays are strong enough. If they are unsure of your whole story, they pass your essays on to the second reader for further evaluation. The second reader then reads your essays and decides if you are worthy of an interview invite. If the reviews are mixed, they pass your essays to a third reader to "break the tie." The way I see it, there are four scenarios.

Case 1
- Reader 1 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 2 likes your essays and approves of your essays.
- You are accepted/waitlisted depending on the strength of the other aspects of your profile.

Case 2
- Reader 1 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 2 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 3 evaluates your essays and breaks the tie.
- You are accepted/waitlisted if Reader 3 likes your essays. You are rejected if Reader 3 agrees with Reader 2.

Case 3
- Reader 1 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 2 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 3 evaluates your essays and breaks the tie.
- You are accepted/waitlisted if Reader 3 likes your essays. You are rejected if Reader 3 agrees with Reader 1.

Case 4
- Reader 1 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 2 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- You are rejected.

Therefore, I think that those who were invited within a week of their applications going under review are the ones whose essays compelled their respective Reader 1's to invite them. Those who are still waiting are the ones who fall under Case 3/4.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I am a current student at Johnson. Don't worry if you have not yet received an invite to interview. Johnson sends invites out days before admissions decisions are announced, so don't throw in the towel until the decision date.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Thank you, VLM, for your encouraging response.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thank you for the detailed response threestripes, lets hope I hear back from Johnson soon. Under review since 10/25. Not looking good now.

Best of luck

@VLM: Thank you for sharing this information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Submitted: 10/12
Under Review: 10/27
Still awaiting interview call

Any international applicant got interview call yet??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
just got the interview yesterday. under review since 10/25.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I had my interview at Johnson yesterday.
Cornell campus is very similar to any Ivy League campus (Princeton, Yale, Tuck).
The interveiw was very relaxed, stress free and conversational.

Interview Questions
I interviewed on campus with a member of the admissions team and it was a blind interview.

Walk me through your resume
What roles have your played at each of your job positions. How did your career progress.
Why MBA?
Why Cornell?
What are your goals?
What kinda companies do you want to work for after getting your MBA.
Tell me about your significant leadership experience.
Tell me about a time you had a conflict.
Tell me 3 things about you that would help the admissions committee (I assumed them to be strengths).
What kinda of impact have you had on an organization you were involved it?
Tell me about a time when you had to take a tough decision.
What other schools have you applied to so far? What schools are you planning to apply?

The interview lasted 50 mins. I attended an admission after my interview, talked to a few current first year students. Everyone I talked to was very friendly and excited to be at Johnson.

As someone else said above, if you are going for an interview on campus, plan on getting there atleast 15-20 mins early. Make sure you stop at the traffic boot to purchase visitor parking (there is one right infront of the Johnson building). The closest parking garage is 2 blocks away and it will take 10 mins to walk from the garage to Sage hall. If you get there early, there will be a lot of current students haning out in the Atrium between their classes, and you will get a chance to interact with them. Everyone I talked to was very welcoming and friendly.

I hope this is helpful for guys who plan to visit Johnson for their interviews. Feel free to email me if you have any more questions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Schools:Cornell (accepted)
Send PM
as a current Johnson student (sitting in the library now) who has interaction with many administrators here, I can tell you that they are incredibly busy reviewing everyone's applicantions. I think they rarely come out of their offices unless they're traveling around. I feel everyone's pain as a year ago I was right here on this forum asking the same questions! Like a previous classmate said, Johnson will send out interview invites up until the day before the decision deadline. So at this point just TRY too forget that you've even applied and move on to other applications or rekindling relationships with your friends! I know it's tough to forget that you've applied, but it's the only thing that you can do to protect your sanity.

I will say though that if you get a promotion or just finished some class you were taking (and got an A) or did something amazing in life, let the admissions committee know.

Best of luck! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
A lot of you have probably already seen this, but I figured I would post it anyway since my previous post on my take on the application evaluation process is not exactly accurate. This is Randall Sawyer's answer to the following question. Take note that this interview was conducted in 2008 and that Randall Sawyer is now the Director of Corporate Relations of MBA@UNC. However, I would assume that the same process is still followed at Johnson.

Quote:
Walk us through the life of an application in your office from an operational standpoint. What happens between the time an applicant clicks ‘submit’ and the time the committee offers a final decision (e.g. how many “reads” does it get, how long is each “read,” who reads it, does the committee convene to discuss it as a group, etc.).

Quote:
I take this aspect very, very seriously. We look at everyone twice – regardless of TOEFL, GMAT, work experience, GPA. There is nothing in your file that indicates that you won’t get read twice, except for an incomplete file.

So basically, say you hit the submit button yesterday. We take your $200 and it gets deposited. When my team came in this morning, we printed out your application and put it on the shelf. We wait for your other materials – we go online and get an official copy of your GMAT score, put your recommendation letters in your file, etc.

When your application is complete, it goes to one of two or three groups. The first read is done by either one of my readers (I have two paid readers), one of my professional team at the associate level or higher, or one of my 50 JAG students. JAG stands for Johnson Admissions Group – a select group of second-year students committed to assisting in the recruiting and evaluation of applicants. Many of them will do a first read.

We look for about 22 different variables associated with your application. One of my readers makes a recommendation – either “yes, interview” or “no” or “can’t decide.” After the first read is done it goes on a separate shelf and one of my professional team takes a second read. If they agree and both people who’ve reviewed the application say yes, we send out an invitation to interview. If they can’t agree we take it to committee. Or we deny.

My committee meets twice a week, for anywhere from 30 minutes to eight hours. It’s a group of eight and we will come to a consensus – it is not a vote – as to whether or not to invite to interview or deny. Once there’s a decision the file goes back to the admissions staff, who will contact the student and invite them to interview. The prospective student gets to pick a slot that fits with their schedule. Once the student is interviewed, the interviewer – one of my team – makes a recommendation: don’t recommend, recommend with reservation, recommend, recommend with confidence, or highly recommend.

As a benchmark, highly recommend is maybe 1 in 50 or 60 applicants. That is literally saying to the committee, “This person is an absolute rock star we have to have them.” Recommend with confidence is a student saying, “Yes, I want this person in class with me next year.” Recommend with reservation is “There’s something that doesn’t click or doesn’t sound right to me.” And don’t recommend is “no way, no how, not a chance.”

We usually get a three- to four-page dossier of the interview with a recommendation. The interviewer picks one of the five designations and then it goes to committee and we talk about that student and decide whether or not to make that offer. I want to make it clear that there is no vote – this is not a voting system. We are going to talk about you and decide whether you are a good fit for Johnson. I think it’s fairly callous to be voting on someone’s future.

Source: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2008/10/admissions-director-qa-randall-sawyer-of-cornell-universitys-johnson-school-of-business/
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts