Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]
"simply" can not modify "random" logically. it is not logical to have modification this way. "simply" must be an adverb.

so, in choice C , the pattern is
"are not X but simply Y". this is incorrect because we can not insert an adverb "simply", here. the correct idiom is
"are not X but Y

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 10 Mar 2019, 08:08.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 25 Feb 2022, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]
crashVcrush wrote:
tsheshraj wrote:
43. Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

A due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are
B due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are
C because they enhance reproduction or survival, but
D because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are
E because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are

hi all, i used the POE technique to eliminate (due to vs Because of) the wrong answers and was left with C & D as the choices for the following questions. I eliminated D because of the expression are not X, but are Y and selected C which has Not X, But Y construction. The OA seems to be D. Can you help pls?

For parallelism : to avoid confusion I follow this Crude method ..........

A ( B+ C) = AB...................+.......................AC = AB & AC should make sense logically / structurally : + = But / AND, parallel markers

Biological traits are not the products of natural selection......................BUT...............are by-products

For option C :

Let : A = Biological traits are not , X = the prodcuts of natural selection , Y = By products

lets substitute these variables in the above eqn and check :

Biological traits are not ( the products of natural selection )..............................BUT..........................Biological traits are not (by products) = Does it make any sense ?

Now Option D ; Rearrangement of variables :

Let : A = Biological traits are , X = Not THE prodcuts of natural selection , Y = By products

Substitution yields :

Biological traits are (not the products of natural selection)..............................BUT..........................Biological traits are ( by products ) = perfect

Leading to D, my take

perfect explanation!!! thank you crashVcrush
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Re: Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone elaborate on the role of "favored" in the correct answer choice? Does it modify "the products of natural selection" only or does it modify the preceding phrase?

And
What do "they" in "because they enhance production" refer to?
Tks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Isn't Not x but y a closed parallelism marker? what's inside the two parallelism elements should match? There is no "are" after Not, so there should be no "are" after but as well?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Meisme I was going to put together a response to your question, but on looking back through the thread I see I already wrote about this a few years ago. :) I hope it helps!

DmitryFarber wrote:
You can read the structure two ways:

1) are NOT x BUT y
2) are not x BUT are y

In other words, we can see the parallel markers as "NOT/BUT," or we can see a single parallel marker: "BUT." The interpretation the GMAT is going with on this one is 2. It's really a matter of emphasis: I am not this but I AM that. As my colleague Kyle points out above, the use of "are" in this case helps us to interpret the overall meaning more clearly. It's very common (both on the GMAT and in "real" writing) to use seemingly unneeded structuring words or punctuation to make the meaning clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

(A) due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are
(B) due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are
(C) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but
(D) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are
(E) because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits [ are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival,] [ but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.]
I don't think that "that they" after the "but" is necessary.
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits [ are .... ,] [ but are ....]
This leaves us with option (D) and (E)
(D).
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits [ are not the products of natural selection, favored because biological traits enhance reproduction or survival,] [ but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.]
(E)
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits [ are not the products of natural selection, because of enhancing reproduction or survival, ][ but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.]
"because" should be followed by a noun. This makes (E) wrong.
Which leaves us with option (D) as our answer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GMATBuddha
Quitters never win, WInners never quit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
sondenso wrote:
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

Can anyone explain why in option D and Option C, why the usage of 'they' is not ambiguous?
According to me, 'they' could refer to both 'The products of natural selection' and 'Many Bio Traits'.
Because of this ambiguity, I chose Option E. Since verb+ing modifier is used, so I thought this modifier is being used for 'The products of natural selection'.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
agarwal1993 wrote:
Can anyone explain why in option D and Option C, why the usage of 'they' is not ambiguous? According to me, 'they' could refer to both 'The products of natural selection' and 'Many Bio Traits'.

Hi agarwal1993, pronoun ambiguity, for one thing, should never be a reason to eliminate an answer choice.

Also, in case of pronoun ambiguity, application of following rule often comes in handy:

Pronoun-subject in one clause can be presumed to refer to noun-subject of another clause.

With option D, the sentence is:

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

Two clauses are:

i) many biological traits are not the products of natural selection - many biological traits is the noun-subject

ii) they enhance reproduction or survival - they is the pronoun-subject

So, going by the above rule, they would correctly refer to many biological traits.

In any case, as I mentioned above, pronoun ambiguity should not be the only reason to eliminate an answer choice.

Quote:
Because of this ambiguity, I chose Option E. Since verb+ing modifier is used, so I thought this modifier is being used for 'The products of natural selection'.

E would be incorrect because the doer of enhancing reproduction or survival is not coming out clearly.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Pronoun ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
agarwal1993 wrote:
sondenso wrote:

Can anyone explain why in option D and Option C, why the usage of 'they' is not ambiguous?
According to me, 'they' could refer to both 'The products of natural selection' and 'Many Bio Traits'.

Hey there,
Thank you for posting the question. Let me try and help you out!
The Important thing first. Let’s start by looking at the intended logical meaning.

Meaning Analysis:
The sentence talks about an argument presented by the Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould. So Gould argued that various biological features are not the product of natural selection. In fact the biological features are random by-products made while other evolutionary developments. The belief that the features are the product of natural selection is favored because of the fact that these biological features improve reproduction or survival. This is the intended logical meaning.
Now let's look at your question

In the meaning analysis, we talked about biological traits to be the products of natural selection.
That means many biological traits = products of natural selection.
Now whether 'they' refers to many biological traits or products of natural selection, it actually means the same.

eg if A=B and B=C ,then A=B=C.
Therefore the usage of they is not ambiguous.

When you read this choice, it is a little confusing that 'but simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.' is an extension of "reproduction or survival" or the contrast for "products of natural selection". Logically it should be the contrast for natural selection but this is not clear from this choice. It seems that 'but...' is adding more details to the reproduction or survival part.

Here because of the repetition of are after but, the author clarifies that "the modifier is over" and now we are back to the contrast. Hence the logical intended meaning is clear and is correct.

This choice does not convey the meaning. We do not know from the sentence what is enhancing reproduction or survival. Incorrect

I hope this helps
thanks
Anmol :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:
Meisme I was going to put together a response to your question, but on looking back through the thread I see I already wrote about this a few years ago. :) I hope it helps!

DmitryFarber wrote:
You can read the structure two ways:

1) are NOT x BUT y
2) are not x BUT are y

In other words, we can see the parallel markers as "NOT/BUT," or we can see a single parallel marker: "BUT." The interpretation the GMAT is going with on this one is 2. It's really a matter of emphasis: I am not this but I AM that. As my colleague Kyle points out above, the use of "are" in this case helps us to interpret the overall meaning more clearly. It's very common (both on the GMAT and in "real" writing) to use seemingly unneeded structuring words or punctuation to make the meaning clear.

Hi DmitryFarber egmat
the rule is once outside or twice inside.
If "are" is outside i.e "are NOT x" then why would we use "are" again after BUT? now the sentence reads "are NOT x but ARE y" isn't this incorrect grammatically. you would eliminate it before even thinking of the meaning cus of the rule.

would love some clarity.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM