It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 06:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2014, 10:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 84

GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 13:44
This thread and many other similar threads of the SAME SC Question, on GmatClub are full of One liners/OA boosters.

I would really appreciate if anyone who has clarity in this could atleast use POE and discuss why specific options are WRONG instead of why Option D is RIGHT.

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 84

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 847 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 22:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sondenso wrote:
43. Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

A due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are
B due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are
C because they enhance reproduction or survival, but
D because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are
E because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are

A - Can't use "due to" in this construction. To test "due to" in a sentence, replace it with "caused by" and see if it still makes sense. "Favored caused by"? No good.
B - Same as A
C - Without including "are", the role of "but simply random by-products..." becomes ambiguous. Does it connect with "are not" or does it modify the "favored because.." clause.
D - Correct
E - "Because of enhancing" is an incorrect idiom.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 847 [1], given: 5

16 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1077 [16], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

As per the meaning of the sentence:
SJG argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection but they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.
Products of Natural selection are favored due to their enhancement and reproduction or survival.
As per the sentence favored is a Verb+ed Modifier or past participle modifier

Why not "Due to" or "because of"
Now as we know "Products" cannot do favoring so the action is performed on "products", so "favored" is a verb+ed modifier.

Any verb+ed Modifier can be written as a clause.
For example:
kept at the corner of the room, the rock was glittering.

Obviously rock cannot do the action of keeping so kept is a verb+ed modifier modifying the noun -> Rock.
So we can also write The rock that was kept at the corner of the room was glittering. So this modifier can be written as a clause.

And we know
1) Due to" modifies a noun or noun phrase and followed by a noun or noun phrase.
For example:
Delay in the match was due to heavy rain
here "Delay" (a noun or noun phrase) is modified by Due to and Due to takes "Heavy rain" (noun or noun phrase).

2) Because of modifies a noun or noun phrase and followed by a clause.
For example:
Match was delayed because of heavy rain.
So "Match was delayed" is a complete clause and it is modified by "because of" and because of takes "heavy rain" (noun or noun phrase)..

So we need a "because" or "because of" as verb+ed modifier can be expressed as a clause.

(A) due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are
Two issues:
1) Due to is wrong as it cannot modify any clause.
2) "they are" is repeated and is not required. "They" refers to "biological traits"

(B) due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are
Same issues as above

(E) because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are
Though the structure is correct bit not sure who is enhancing the "reproduction or survival"

Now lets check the below options:

Let me demonstrate the problem with Option C)

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored because they enhance reproduction or survival, but simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

There can be two interpretations:
1) Interpretation 1:
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection,
[favored because they enhance reproduction or survival,
but
(because they) simply (enhance) random by-products of other evolutionary developments]

A little bit illogical but yes, does conveys some meaning.

2) Interpretation 2:
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are
not
the products of natural selection,(favored because they enhance reproduction or survival),
but
simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

This interpretation makes a lot of sense. So to remove the ambiguity we need repeat the "are" so that reader shouldn't get the 1st illogical meaning at all. And that's the reason why D) wins.

(D) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are - Correct

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1077 [16], given: 548

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 368

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 20:09
Please correct my understanding :
Doesn't ,but construction should introduce a new independent clause ??

In D : because they enhance reproduction or survival, but areI do not see any subject post , but construction.

Thanks

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 368

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2015, 13:43
Can someone explain the problem with D please?

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 21:40
Can any experts explain why D is a better choice than C ?

Regards.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 139

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 09:09
Please underline the proper words.

A) and B) are out - due to - wrong usage.
C and E are out Not the X but are Y idiom.

Correct D.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 74

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 18:42
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 23:15
[quote="tejal777"]Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

(A) due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are

(B) due to the reproduction or survival they enhance, but they are

(C) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but

(D) because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are

(E) because of enhancing reproduction or survival, but are

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
:D

Please explain why C is incorrect.

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits ARE not X, but ARE Y. Without the are in C, the two parts of the sentence are not \\ IMO.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 50

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1301 [0], given: 434

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 08:01
Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1301 [0], given: 434

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 07:30
egmat wrote:
tsheshraj wrote:
43. Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, favored due to their enhancement of reproduction or survival, but that they are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

hi all, i used the POE technique to eliminate (due to vs Because of) the wrong answers and was left with C & D as the choices for the following questions. I eliminated D because of the expression are not X, but are Y and selected C which has Not X, But Y construction. The OA seems to be D. Can you help pls?

Choice D is correct and choice C is incorrect primarily because meaning is more clear with Choice D. Remember the correct answer should be grammatically correct and it should communicate the meaning without any ambiguity. Essentially as you speak or write the sentence, the listener or the reader should not think - what did you just say or what did I just read.

I will only bring out the relevant portions of this sentence as they pertain to the meaning of Choices C and D.

Choice C
SJG said that bio traits are not the products of natural selection, favored because they enhance reproduction or survival, but simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.
When I read this sentence, I am a little confused whether the red part is an extension of "reproduction or survival" or the contrast for "products of natural selection". Yes logically I know it should be the latter but the way this choice is written as I go with the flow of the sentence, I may consider this part to be the extension of "reproduction or survival".

This problem is solved with Choice D. Here by repeating the verb - are - now the author clarifies that "the modifier is over" and now we are back to the contrast. i.e.
Biol traits are not the products of natural selection but are the by products of evolutionary development.

So yes from pure grammar standpoint choice C has the right parallel list but it fails to communicate the meaning clearly. Choice D on the other hand by adding "are" emphasizes on the important aspect of meaning as intended by choice A.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Payal

Could you please be more clear on when to use Not x but y and Not + x but + verb + y ?

Find what you love and let it kill you. — Charles Bukowski

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 234

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 855

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 03:56
sumanainampudi wrote:
egmat wrote:
tsheshraj wrote:

hi all, i used the POE technique to eliminate (due to vs Because of) the wrong answers and was left with C & D as the choices for the following questions. I eliminated D because of the expression are not X, but are Y and selected C which has Not X, But Y construction. The OA seems to be D. Can you help pls?

Choice D is correct and choice C is incorrect primarily because meaning is more clear with Choice D. Remember the correct answer should be grammatically correct and it should communicate the meaning without any ambiguity. Essentially as you speak or write the sentence, the listener or the reader should not think - what did you just say or what did I just read.

I will only bring out the relevant portions of this sentence as they pertain to the meaning of Choices C and D.

Choice C
SJG said that bio traits are not the products of natural selection, favored because they enhance reproduction or survival, but simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.
When I read this sentence, I am a little confused whether the red part is an extension of "reproduction or survival" or the contrast for "products of natural selection". Yes logically I know it should be the latter but the way this choice is written as I go with the flow of the sentence, I may consider this part to be the extension of "reproduction or survival".

This problem is solved with Choice D. Here by repeating the verb - are - now the author clarifies that "the modifier is over" and now we are back to the contrast. i.e.
Biol traits are not the products of natural selection but are the by products of evolutionary development.

So yes from pure grammar standpoint choice C has the right parallel list but it fails to communicate the meaning clearly. Choice D on the other hand by adding "are" emphasizes on the important aspect of meaning as intended by choice A.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Payal

Could you please be more clear on when to use Not x but y and Not + x but + verb + y ?

background:
structure 1: "not X but Y"
this construction signifies that "X" is expected, normal, or customary in the given situation but that "Y" is what is actually present / has happened / will happen.
for instance:
Restaurant X's "hamburgers" are made not of actual hamburger but of turkey.

structure 2: "X but Y"
this construction signifies some sort of general contrast between X and Y, but lacks the semantic sense that Y is a substitute for X.
for instance:
i am not a doctor but can fix your broken finger.

so, the correct answer to this problem can be understood as a case of structure #2 -- note my example above ("i am not a doctor but can fix your broken finger"), which will also appear incorrect if you try to process it as structure #1.

background:
structure 1: "not X but Y"
this construction signifies that "X" is expected, normal, or customary in the given situation but that "Y" is what is actually present / has happened / will happen.
for instance:
Restaurant X's "hamburgers" are made not of actual hamburger but of turkey.

structure 2: "X but Y"
this construction signifies some sort of general contrast between X and Y, but lacks the semantic sense that Y is a substitute for X.
for instance:
i am not a doctor but can fix your broken finger.

so, the correct answer to this problem can be understood as a case of structure #2 -- note my example above ("i am not a doctor but can fix your broken finger"), which will also appear incorrect if you try to process it as structure #1.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Kudos [?]: 231 [0], given: 855

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 976

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 21:48
I thought C is correct via the "in-out" principle? So, "ARE not x, but (ARE) Y", so in D it would go "ARE ARE" if that makes sense?

Someone please help!!! Thank You :P

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 976

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1238 [1], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You can read the structure two ways:

1) are NOT x BUT y
2) are not x BUT are y

In other words, we can see the parallel markers as "NOT/BUT," or we can see a single parallel marker: "BUT." The interpretation the GMAT is going with on this one is 2. It's really a matter of emphasis: I am not this but I AM that. As my colleague Kyle points out above, the use of "are" in this case helps us to interpret the overall meaning more clearly. It's very common (both on the GMAT and in "real" writing) to use seemingly unneeded structuring words or punctuation to make the meaning clear.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1238 [1], given: 29

Re: Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2017, 00:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 55 posts ] 

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological trait

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap