It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 06:46
IMO D) is correct

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 16:56
Agree with A.

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2006, 21:28
5elements wrote:
My pick : A

A. The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can bedetermined from the wasps egg-laying behavior.

since the wasps somehow know how many eggs to lay in order for their larvae to survive, one can in theory compute the smallest size based on their egg-lay behavior ..

As you can see below - all the other choices can be eliminated with lot more certainity, leaving just "A"

B. Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced byparasitic wasps.

lack of effective defensive mechanism in the host - is out of scope

OA is A ....

C. Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of differenthost species.
nothing in the argument talks about how the wasps know how many eggs to lay - hence out of scope

D. Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae morequickly than would laying too many eggs.

- the argument is not about which method will lead to the quicker end of the wasp larvae - so we cannot come to this conclusion that one method will lead to quick death than the other

E. Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.
- again, how the wasps know how many eggs to lay is out of scope

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2006, 13:17
I picked C ! :( guess it is A , understood y , thnks 5elements

vazlkaiye porkalam vazltuthan parkanum.... porkalam maralam porkalthan maruma

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 0

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2008, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. If they laid too many eggs in a host egg, the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space. If too few eggs were laid, portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.

Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasps egg-laying behavior.

(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.

(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.

(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.

(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

Kudos [?]: 63 [1], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Re: CR : Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2008, 12:12
It has been discussed before. I guess OA is A.

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2010, 03:59
For this kind of question, I think the safest take is the one without any new information, such as learning style / speed / defensive mechanism in ths case.

A is the most relevant and plausible.

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 38

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2010, 11:18
i dont catch this one. Can anybody explain further?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2010, 00:25
vishy007 wrote:
Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. If they laid too many eggs in a host egg, the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space. If too few eggs were laid, portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.

Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasps egg-laying behavior.

(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.

(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.

(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.

A is the answer
This is my explanation.
I followed an elimination method.
B. is an assumption, but not a conclusion (hence cannot be the answer)
C. The learning behavior of the wasps or previous egg laying events are not mentioned in the stimulus. Therefore, incorrect
D. The stimulus does not mention anything about the success rate of the laying few/more eggs (cannot be the answer)
E. The stimulus does not mention anything about visual clues.

The only option that does not include any outside information and has some relevance to the stimulus is A. Pick A

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2010, 00:49
aielman wrote:
vishy007 wrote:

A is the answer
This is my explanation.
I followed an elimination method.
B. is an assumption, but not a conclusion (hence cannot be the answer)
C. The learning behavior of the wasps or previous egg laying events are not mentioned in the stimulus. Therefore, incorrect
D. The stimulus does not mention anything about the success rate of the laying few/more eggs (cannot be the answer)
E. The stimulus does not mention anything about visual clues.

The only option that does not include any outside information and has some relevance to the stimulus is A. Pick A

Elimination method is good here. I did the same even though I felt A had some truth to it when I read it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2010, 15:35
OA is A. However, this stimulus really caught me off guard. I suppose the first sentence implies a direct relationship between host egg and # of parasitic eggs laid.

However -- it is far from clear.
Attachments

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG [ 94.81 KiB | Viewed 5153 times ]

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2010, 03:10
masland wrote:
OA is A. However, this stimulus really caught me off guard. I suppose the first sentence implies a direct relationship between host egg and # of parasitic eggs laid.

However -- it is far from clear.

do you know the level of this question ?

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Schools: ISB, Hass, Ross, NYU Stern

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 00:38
This is a 700+ level question.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 24

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2010, 05:53
Though was not fully convinced A seems correct for me by method of elimination

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 791 [1], given: 11

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2010, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp’s egg-laying behavior.

Please can someone help to understand this question type ?

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Kudos [?]: 791 [1], given: 11

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 10

Re: Parasitic wasps lay their eggs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 04:23
Well the question type is Inference drawing.Hence use Fact Test.

ajit257 wrote:

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp’s egg-laying behavior. - Hold

(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps. - Nothing has been mentioned in the para.Eliminate.

(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species. - Not mentioned. Eliminate.

(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs. - Comparison hasn't been mentioned in the para.Eliminate.
(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg. - Not mentioned. Eliminate.

Thus by POE you can see option A remains. Also, clues from the para marked in Blue lets one draw an inference mentioned in A.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 17:15
Thanks ...Amit. I see you talked about the fact test. Please could you explain this technique in a little more detail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17795 [12], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ajit257 wrote:

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp’s egg-laying behavior.

Read the question stem: Which of the following conclusions can be drawn ....
So options are conclusions. You are looking for a conclusion that you can draw from the argument. Remember that conclusions do not have any new information. They just infer from data given in the argument.
All B, C, D and E have new information in them which is not mentioned in the argument:

Argument says:
- Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. (e.g. if the host egg is 2 inches, they lay 1 egg in it, if it is 4 inches, they lay 2 eggs in it etc)

So we can infer that from the wasp's egg laying behavior (1 egg in 2 inch host egg etc ), the size of the smallest host egg can be determined. (It will be the one in which the wasp can lay only 1 egg - 2 inches in our example)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17795 [12], given: 235

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 20:40
Thanks Karishma.....I was overlooking key factor (new info). I guess this is why i got it wrong. Thanks a tonne !

Ajit

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2011, 03:48
again some extrapolation is required to handle this type of question. i failed to do that and got the answer wrong .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 51

Re: Parasitic wasps lay their eggs   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2011, 03:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap