It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 14:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2011, 06:54
Look at A.

It says something "theoretically" => Safely =>Makes sense, Could be wrong, but who cares to validate.

Hence A

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2011, 02:13
+1 for A

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 12:23
A

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 20

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2012, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
raghupara wrote:
Look at A.

It says something "theoretically" => Safely =>Makes sense, Could be wrong, but who cares to validate.

Hence A

Though it has 'theoretically', it is actually LOGIC based and perfect math. Check out the following link for a great explanation:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p61293

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2012, 21:38
Chembeti wrote:
raghupara wrote:
Look at A.

Hence A

Though it has 'theoretically', it is actually LOGIC based and perfect math. Check out the following link for a great explanation:

The link explains very nicely. Thanks for sharing it.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 55

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2012, 03:23
Yes Amit, please tell me about the Fact test. I have never heard of it. Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 55

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1121 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2012, 21:55
+1 A

We can identify the smallest egg identifying in which egg the wasp laid the smallest number of eggs.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1121 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2012, 01:04
All options except option A introduces new information into the context.

Additionally, by knowing the egg laying pattern of the wasp, the smallest host egg can be identified.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 154 [1], given: 26

GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2012, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. If they laid too many eggs in a host egg, the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space. If too few eggs were laid, portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.

Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?

A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp's egg-laying behavior.
B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

Kudos [?]: 154 [1], given: 26

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2012, 08:25
ananthpatri wrote:
Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of various host insects in exactly the right numbers for any suitable size of host egg. If they laid too many eggs in a host egg, the developing wasp larvae would compete with each other to the death for nutrients and space. If too few eggs were laid, portions of the host egg would decay, killing the wasp larvae.

Which of the following conclusions can properly be drawn from the information above?

A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp's egg-laying behavior.
B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

With a kind of inference question, the most appropriate way is to find the SCOPE of the argument.

For example, with this argument, the below words will be the scope: Number of eggs, size of host eggs, the reasons of decaying eggs or death of insects, behavior in laying eggs of insects.

A, In scope. This is the correct answer.
B, Defenses against predators is out of scope.
C, Exp laying in different host species is out of scope
D, The speed of dying between two reasons mentions in the argument. Not mentioned
E, How the parasitic wasp can realize the size of host egg is not mentioned in the paragraph.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 735 [0], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1638 [1], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2012, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
That's right.

(A) is making a claim that there is a connection between size of host egg to be parasitized and wasp's egg laying behavior. And we have information to support that in the passage.

Laying a lot of eggs means the size of parasitized host egg must be large. Laying few eggs means size of parasitized host egg must be small.

We basically were able to find a conclusion that could be drawn from the passage - this is the same as an inference question, just rephrased in a different way. With inference questions, we have to find an answer choice that is the "argument/conclusion" and then find information in the passage that would support and make that "argument/conclusion" valid.

Kudos [?]: 1638 [1], given: 8

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 56

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 09:27
(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasp’s egg-laying behavior.
(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.
(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.
(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.
(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 56

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Re: Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 10:49
A is right here.

I used process of elimination.

(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps. >> Noting about host insects defensive ability is mentioned in the passage. Out of scope.
(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species. >> Might be true, but no evidence of experimenting given in passage.
(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs. >> Out of scope.
(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg. >> We don’t know this from the passage.

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 46

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 14:04
What we learn about the parasitic wasp is that it knows exactly how many eggs to lay depending on the size of the host egg. Therefore, if the wasp lays x number of eggs we know that it will correspond to a certain size of host egg. From this information, we can figure out the largest sized host egg a wasp could parasitize and the smallest host egg it could parasitize. In the case of smallest egg, it would lay only a limited number of eggs. Regardless of that number, it's egg laying behavior, i.e., how many eggs it lays, will give indicate the size of the host egg.

Thus the answer is (A).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 1261 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2012, 15:04
Interesting question. I see why A is the correct answer, but I picked C since the question stimulus says explicitly that parasitic wasps lay the right number of eggs given the size of the host egg. I thus concluded that these wasps know the proper number of eggs to lay because they have done this before.

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Re: CR : Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2013, 05:36
aielman wrote:
vishy007 wrote:

(A) The size of the smallest host egg that a wasp could theoretically parasitize can be determined from the wasps egg-laying behavior.

(B) Host insects lack any effective defenses against the form of predation practiced by parasitic wasps.

(C) Parasitic wasps learn from experience how many eggs to lay into the eggs of different host species.

(D) Failure to lay enough eggs would lead to the death of the developing wasp larvae more quickly than would laying too many eggs.

(E) Parasitic wasps use visual clues to calculate the size of a host egg.

A is the answer
This is my explanation.
I followed an elimination method.
B. is an assumption, but not a conclusion (hence cannot be the answer)
C. The learning behavior of the wasps or previous egg laying events are not mentioned in the stimulus. Therefore, incorrect
D. The stimulus does not mention anything about the success rate of the laying few/more eggs (cannot be the answer)
E. The stimulus does not mention anything about visual clues.

The only option that does not include any outside information and has some relevance to the stimulus is A. Pick A

The stimulus doesn;t mention behavior either ... can you explain the answer

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 430 [1], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2013, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Roobika,

In my opinion the stimulus does mention behavior. In that the way the wasps select the exact number of eggs to place inside a host, that to me is a 'behavior'.

So A is correct because if you watch enough wasps you can see the smallest size they choose to lay their eggs in.

Hope that helps.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 430 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2013, 06:07
Thanks for the explanation .. James .. :)

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2013, 15:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2015, 21:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Re: Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2015, 21:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ] 

Parasitic wasps lay their eggs directly into the eggs of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap