Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [16]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [8]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Someone please explain me C..........for me the answer does not make sense...

According to C, what if the computers become obsolete , the technology will continue to remain and newer devices will be invented.So i knows computer languages, he knows how to work with technology and if the next day computers become obsolete , one will still be able to work with newer devices because he is already acquainted with technology and so he will be able to adapt
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s [#permalink]
Kudos
I can't make head or tail of C as written - what does "In the process of learning to language" --> what is learning to language?? it just mentions the key phrase "language" --- but one can't u/stand this as written and one can only guess

(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 531
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE:Project Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
nightblade354 wrote:
A lot of people seem to be struggling with C and D, so let's break them down.

Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.

Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.

Breakdown:
1. We should teach our kids technology at a young age
Counter: It won't do them any good because it evolves

Fairly straightforward stem, but we want to weaken the counter (or strengthen the first parent's claim). How can we do this? By showing some tangible benefit or by showing that the counter is inaccurate.

Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?

(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives. -- This weakens the argument, so out.

(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances. -- OK, but how does this help us? It is great that we adapt, but how does that strengthen the idea that we should teach something at a young age. This just says that it will be irrelevant whether we teach them or don't teach them. Technically weakens us, so out.

(C) In the process of learning the language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology. -- So the technology they learn helps them with future ability with this future tech. Bingo! If this is true, then it does not matter if they utilize the same technology. They will have learned something and will be able to adapt to new stuff quicker. Perfect answer, and sort of what (B) was trying to say.

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles. --OK, cool. An analogy is fine, but this is wrong for two reasons. First, the analogy is WAY off. There are far too many issues to parallel to our argument (chief among them, the early age difference; this talks about adult learning). Second, when we think about questions that talk about town A and town B, there is always a trap answer that says how similar town A and B are; but this doesn't help our argument. These are two different situations, just as the towns are two different areas.

(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years. -- OK, this is trying to bait you into assuming that because high school graduates don't have time, then we should learn it at a young age. But, who cares? Maybe they can learn it in Middle School. This doesn't do anything for our argument.

Could you please explain how A is weakening parentP’s statement? I think parentP & option A are taking about regular training. So isn’t this statement supportive?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5739 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
NarlankaVijay, please read my full post for context. By weaken, I refer to the idea that we want the viewpoint of parent O. We want to strengthen O and weaken P; option (A) weakens O and strengthens P.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Driving cars is a skill like swimming which does not inherently require a massive upgrade each year, but languages differ drastically from one another, hence D is incorrect as it offers a wrong analogy.

C is the correct option because it states that students gain "exposure" early on hence it will be easier for them to pickup the CS languages in the future.

Hope it helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.

Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.

Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?

(C) In the process of learning the language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles.

I marked the wrong choice but this is why i think C is better than D.

So, O's argument says that the computer would become obsolete.We have to weaken this argument.

Now, in D, we are saying that we dont have to relearn the basic driving of cars if new advances are incorporated. But O is exactly assuming this that with advances in the computer technology, we would have to relearn the computer so D goes against the basic premise of the argument. In CR, we dont go against the premise but against the reasoning. So, the reasoning which Parent P can use in his favor is that what if there is another benefit of engaging with the computer technology at early age. This is what C states and is thus apt weakener.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Hi experts,

So I think the key to this passage is truly understanding what the conclusion is. Is the conclusion:
a) Tech advances so rapidly OR
b) Technology that is currently used by hs students would become obsolete?

Depending on which one you choose as your conclusion, you will get C or D respectively...
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrows [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrows [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts