GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 00:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2010, 08:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

26% (01:46) correct 74% (01:52) wrong based on 254 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.

Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.

Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?

(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives.

(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances.

(C) In the process of learning the language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles.

(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Most Helpful Expert Reply
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 05:25
A lot of people seem to be struggling with C and D, so let's break them down.

Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with tomorrow’s world. Computers should be introduced in kindergarten, and computer languages should be required in high school.

Parent O: That would be pointless. Technology advances so rapidly that the computers used by today’s high schools would become obsolete by the time these children are adults.

Breakdown:
1. We should teach our kids technology at a young age
Counter: It won't do them any good because it evolves

Fairly straightforward stem, but we want to weaken the counter (or strengthen the first parent's claim). How can we do this? By showing some tangible benefit or by showing that the counter is inaccurate.

Which one of the following, if true, is the strongest logical counter parent P can make to parent Q’s objection?

(A) When technology is advancing rapidly, regular training is necessary to keep one’s skills at a level proficient enough to deal with the society in which one lives. -- This weakens the argument, so out.

(B) Throughout history people have adapted to change, and there is no reason to believe that today’s children are not equally capable of adapting to technology as it advances. -- OK, but how does this help us? It is great that we adapt, but how does that strengthen the idea that we should teach something at a young age. This just says that it will be irrelevant whether we teach them or don't teach them. Technically weakens us, so out.

(C) In the process of learning the language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology. -- So the technology they learn helps them with future ability with this future tech. Bingo! If this is true, then it does not matter if they utilize the same technology. They will have learned something and will be able to adapt to new stuff quicker. Perfect answer, and sort of what (B) was trying to say.

(D) Automotive technology is continually advancing too, but that does not result in one’s having to relearn to drive cars as the new advances are incorporated into new automobiles. --OK, cool. An analogy is fine, but this is wrong for two reasons. First, the analogy is WAY off. There are far too many issues to parallel to our argument (chief among them, the early age difference; this talks about adult learning). Second, when we think about questions that talk about town A and town B, there is always a trap answer that says how similar town A and B are; but this doesn't help our argument. These are two different situations, just as the towns are two different areas.

(E) Once people have graduated from high school, they have less time to learn about computers and technology than they had during their schooling years. -- OK, this is trying to bait you into assuming that because high school graduates don't have time, then we should learn it at a young age. But, who cares? Maybe they can learn it in Middle School. This doesn't do anything for our argument.

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 01:55
i can't fully understand option C: (C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology. --- "learning to" can't be right

I'd go with option B based on the rest - with this even if tech advance and obsolescence happens --- the acquisition of skills in high schools will not be "pointless" as children can adapt to tech advances
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 04:18
turns out the answer is: http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... -will.html

I can't u/stand option C -- it says something about language -- "learning to"??...
High school kids learn comp "language" in the question stem --- so enhanced "ability to interact" prevents obsolescence may be a counter. Parent 0 only mentions computers in "high schools" not kindergarten. The high schoolers learn comp language based on Parent P's remark... C ties all these aspects together..

re D: citing auto.. tech in my view can not be a logical counter. it is a completely different kind of technology and any rational human being will immediately say: your example doesn't work as you are comparing apples to oranges.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 05:53
gmat1011 wrote:
turns out the answer is: http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... -will.html

it is a completely different kind of technology and any rational human being will immediately say: your example doesn't work as you are comparing apples to oranges.

It sounds like an assumption...
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 06:30
what sounds like an assumption?
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 14:05
tenaman10 wrote:
Straight C ..

Could u pls elaborate ? i didnt find it so easy
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 14:10
I think Q s statement is not clear.Q brings up the possibility of computers becoming obsolete and option C speaks of computer technology.
If C is the correct answer then we are assuming that computers become obsolete and new devices are invented which are form of computer technology .
I think the stimulus ( ie Qs opinion) is confusing.
Board of Directors
D

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:20
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 06:24
carcass wrote:
Someone please explain me C..........for me the answer does not make sense...

According to C, what if the computers become obsolete , the technology will continue to remain and newer devices will be invented.So i knows computer languages, he knows how to work with technology and if the next day computers become obsolete , one will still be able to work with newer devices because he is already acquainted with technology and so he will be able to adapt
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 07:41
I can't make head or tail of C as written - what does "In the process of learning to language" --> what is learning to language?? it just mentions the key phrase "language" --- but one can't u/stand this as written and one can only guess

(C) In the process of learning to language, children increase their ability to interact with computer technology.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 08:14
People, learning to Language means learning to create language. Now I surmise no one would doubt the OA.

As in example"He is learning to dance"

Q is too subtle : computer languages should be required in high school, this can be either the students are expected to learn language or crate language.
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 09:00
Hmm can the word "language" ever be used that way in English? I've goggled and checked 3 english dictionaries I have - no help. How did you figure it means "creating" language?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 10:06
It might be that as I am a techie, I got it at the first glance. Moreover other choices, other than D are not good.
Automative technology might be developing, but that does not stress completely that the way we drive is gonna change - Per se this choice is too narrow

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 10:06
It might be that as I am a techie, I got it at the first glance. Moreover other choices, other than D are not good.
Automative technology might be developing, but that does not stress completely that the way we drive is gonna change - Per se this choice is too narrow
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 23:02
i am not a techie. i am a lawyer... hope i don't see any techie-type questions on the real deal! but i am still 90% sure there is a typo in that sentence...
Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2010, 23:39
Its really very confusing.....
Definetly during exam, in limited time , C will not strike in fist go...
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2016, 04:57
Would really appreciate if anyone explains why C is right..
chetan2u daagh Engr2012 please help someone.. why is C correct?
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2019, 07:58
Bumping for further discussion

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2019, 04:05
According to me the answer should be D as in Option C though it counters the Q's objection but D is more effective as it compares with the other equivalent field and says the same that even if the technology is advancing doesn't mean we need to learn it again. We can adapt it easily.
Moreover, C talks about learning the language only.
Feedback is highly appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2019, 04:05

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Parent P: Children will need computer skills to deal with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics