It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parents: We have observed that the college

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 53

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Parents: We have observed that the college [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 02:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (01:07) correct 44% (01:16) wrong based on 241 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Parents: We have observed that the college does not follow a fair policy while allocating campus housing to its students. A quick look at Block B indicates that it majorly houses non-American students while most American students are allocated Block A. Is it because the college wants to prevent American and non-American students from intermingling?

College Representative: The accusation is not true. While allocating housing, we do not look at any nationality information. Only the students’ first names and grades are used while allocating housing. The allocation should hence be random.

Which of the following assumptions forms an inherent weakness in the college representative’s response to parents’ charges?

A. There is no discrimination against non-American students.

B. The policy followed by the college is a common policy and is followed by other colleges too.

C. It is not possible to recognize nationality of a candidate by looking at his or her first name.

D. There are no exceptions, whatsoever, in the explained procedure for campus housing allocation.

E. Grades of non-American students are not any different from those of American students.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

[Reveal] Spoiler: OE
Explanation
A. This is the not the assumption of the college representative, rather it is the point that the representative is trying to make. But whatever he says could still be true while there is discrimination in the allocation.

B. Whether the policy is also followed by other colleges or not is out of scope here.

C. Correct. If it was possible to judge the nationality of the student by looking at the first name and last name, then the allocation will not remain random.

D. Although this seems to be a possible choice, this is not the best answer. Because, for replying to parents, college representative need not assume this. The reply will remain valid even if housing was loosely based on the procedure.

E. The grades alone are not the criteria; hence, this is not the right answer.

C is the best answer choice.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 878 [0], given: 53

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Reviews Badge
Re: Parents: We have observed that the college [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 02:15
E .if we negate this ..grades of non American students are different from American students.if that is true ..the allocation is not random and hence conclusion breaks down.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 24

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 46

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:38
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Parents: We have observed that the college does not follow a fair policy while allocating campus housing to its students. A quick look at Block B indicates that it majorly houses non-American students while most American students are allocated Block A. Is it because the college wants to prevent American and non-American students from intermingling?

College Representative: The accusation is not true. While allocating housing, we do not look at any nationality information. Only the students’ first names and grades are used while allocating housing. The allocation should hence be random.

Which of the following assumptions forms an inherent weakness in the college representative’s response to parents’ charges?

B. The policy followed by the college is a common policy and is followed by other colleges too.

C. It is not possible to recognize nationality of a candidate by looking at his or her first name.

D. There are no exceptions, whatsoever, in the explained procedure for campus housing allocation.

E. Grades of non-American students are not any different from those of American students.

we need to find a assumption that highlights the weakness in the college representative response ..
a- strengthener
b-out of scope --what other college do , we are not bother...
c-again a supporter to college representative response
d-same as c
e --yes , if we assume this , it will weaken the college representative response..

will go with E ..

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 07:52
It should be E as it states that the grades of americans and that of non americans are not different.If we negate this,then the whole assumption upon which the college's representative's answer is based, turns to be baseless.As then both of them should have stayed in the same building,hence E.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 11:17
I will go with E

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 47

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 11:58
Can anybody confirm if this question is correct. I feel both C and E are correct !

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 47

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Parents: We have observed that the college [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 09:18
kunal1608 wrote:
Can anybody confirm if this question is correct. I feel both C and E are correct !

I struggled with both as well, but went with (C) in the end.

College Representative: The accusation is not true. While allocating housing, we do not look at any nationality information. Only the students’ first names and grades are used while allocating housing. The allocation should hence be random

-- Looking at these two points, I think I can explain the question because the OE contradicted itself a little bit. The Rep. says they do not look at any info. about nationality. If one could tell nationality by name, hence (C), then the statement would be inaccurate because it wouldn't be random.

If grades were different between the two groups, it would HAVE to be known by the college that there was a discrepancy. Because this is not stated, I believe the only logical conclusion is option (C).

I hope this helps anyone with questions!

This isn't the best question, in my opinion. There easily could be two answers, and the OE only confirms this notion.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 55

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 21:52
I chose C, but I couldn't effectively decline E.
The only reason I chose E is that it seems more logical to identify nationality by first names than by grades.

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 42

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 22:40
Parents : Students are allocated housing based on their nationality.
CR : We only look at First Names and Grades to allocate housing and we in no way look at their nationality.

Question is to find an answer which will weaken the CR's claim that they don't consider nationality.

C. It is actually possible to state one's nationality looking at the first name, like John's are most likely American, Raj etc are Indian so on.. But the CR assumes this is NOT possible which is why Option C is the correct answer.

E . Says Grades are same but the parents are talking about nationalities.

Consistency is the Key

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Schools: ISB '19, NUS '20, NTU '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 07:21
Can someone reply why E is wrong?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: Parents: We have observed that the college   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2017, 07:21

Parents: We have observed that the college

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap