GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for a high GRE score

January 17, 2019

January 17, 2019

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn the winning strategy for a high GRE score — what do people who reach a high score do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we've collected from over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Nov 2018, 07:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:29) correct 40% (01:50) wrong based on 694 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project CR Butler: Day 4:Critical Reasoning (CR2)

For all CR butler Questions Click Here

Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepper growers have switched to high-priced cocoa, world production of pepper has been running well below worldwide sales for three years. Pepper is consequently in relatively short supply. The price of pepper has soared in response: it now equals that of cocoa.

Some observers have concluded that the rise in the price of pepper means that the switch by some growers from pepper to cocoa left those growers no better off than if none of them had switched; this conclusion, however, is unwarranted because it can be inferred to be likely that

(A) those growers could not have foreseen how high the price of pepper would go
(B) the initial cost involved in switching from pepper to cocoa is substantial
(C) supplies of pepper would not be as low as they are if those growers had not switched crops
(D) cocoa crops are as susceptible to being reduced by bad weather as are pepper crops
(E) as more growers turn to growing cocoa, cocoa supplies will increase and the price of cocoa will fall precipitously

Similar question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/partly-becau ... 89206.html

Originally posted by seekmba on 01 Apr 2010, 10:39.
Last edited by gmat1393 on 10 Nov 2018, 07:12, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Re: Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2010, 06:57
It’s really noisy in my office so don’t take my explanation as gospel because my concentration is not 100% of what it would otherwise be. The question tries to get you to complete the passage and you have to pick the answer than makes sense with the rest of the passage.

The passage starts by saying that farmers switched to coke crops because it was higher priced. But the world produced less pepper annually than it consumed. Therefore, the price went up to actually match that of coke.
Then the author says that some people WRONGLY conclude that the rise in price of pepper means that the growers are no better off than if they had not switched. So which one of these phrases gives a reason why this would be a wrong conclusion?

A) may be true but we can’t see evidence of it in the rest of the passage.
B) if this were true then it would actually strengthen the claim of “some people” which the author believes is wrong.
C) This might work. If the supplies weren’t low then the price wouldn’t have climbed to coke levels. If they hadn’t switched they might be worse off because the price would be lower and they wouldn’t be selling high priced coke.
D) out of scope of the passage. Scope is in a matchbox in Missouri and this answer is with Bin Laden in Afghanistan.
E) while this is probably true it doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the text. If E is true then how are the farmers any worse off than if they didn’t switch? If I’m wrong the answer is E but my guess is C.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

CR Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2018, 05:55
+1 Kudos to the posts containing explanations for all the choices.

Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 00:09
Conclusion: Pepper growers who switched to cocoa did not yield a substantial profit by doing so and therefore it would have been a better choice to continue with pepper. what weakens this statement?

(A) those growers could not have foreseen how high the price of pepper would go - Irrelevant
(B) the initial cost involved in switching from pepper to cocoa is substantial - Irrelevant
(C) supplies of pepper would not be as low as they are if those growers had not switched crops - If some of them had not switched, the price of pepper would have remained the same.
(D) cocoa crops are as susceptible to being reduced by bad weather as are pepper crops - Irrelevant
(E) as more growers turn to growing cocoa, cocoa supplies will increase and the price of cocoa will fall precipitously - Incorrect

Hence C
Intern
Intern
G
Concentration: Marketing, Technology

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2018, 23:14
C is correct because -
(A) those growers could not have foreseen how high the price of pepper would go - talks about uncertainty factor, which can affect either ways. Luck based factors/reasons are generally not be considered
(B) the initial cost involved in switching from pepper to cocoa is substantial -- Article has no mention about costs. Irrelevant
(C) supplies of pepper would not be as low as they are if those growers had not switched crops - main cause - supply low so demand/price high, cause for low supply because of the switch from one crop to another (plus weather of course) - so this is the right choice
(D) cocoa crops are as susceptible to being reduced by bad weather as are pepper crops - No information so irrelevant
(E) as more growers turn to growing cocoa, cocoa supplies will increase and the price of cocoa will fall precipitously - this in fact is the opposite answer and a weakener

If you liked my post or my question, kindly give a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2018, 01:20
CONCLUSION of some observers :The switch by some growers from pepper to cocoa left those growers no better off than if none of them had switched.
PREMISE: Price of pepper has increased because of shortage in supply.
Reason for supply shortage: Partly because of bad weather
partly because some major pepper growers have switched to high-priced cocoa

The conclusion is unwarranted because, if the growers had not switched from pepper to cocoa, one of the reasons for supply shortage would not contribute. Hence, the price increase may not be as higher as it is now. This is clearly stated in option C

Reason for elimination of other options:
a) Irrelevant. Whether they are able to foresee is not going to weaken the conclusion.
b)Out of scope. Initial cost is not discussed in the passage
d) Irrelevant. We are not concerned whether cocoa is affected by bad weather as pepper crops. Irrespective of this factor, the price of cocoa is high and price of pepper is soaring
e)This is not going to affect the conclusion. The conclusion is about rise in price of pepper and has nothing to do with fall in price of cocoa. Even if this statement is negated, it will not affect the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 13:34
ArjunJag1328 wrote:
Conclusion: Pepper growers who switched to cocoa did not yield a substantial profit by doing so and therefore it would have been a better choice to continue with pepper. what weakens this statement?

(A) those growers could not have foreseen how high the price of pepper would go - Irrelevant
(B) the initial cost involved in switching from pepper to cocoa is substantial - Irrelevant
(C) supplies of pepper would not be as low as they are if those growers had not switched crops - If some of them had not switched, the price of pepper would have remained the same.
(D) cocoa crops are as susceptible to being reduced by bad weather as are pepper crops - Irrelevant
(E) as more growers turn to growing cocoa, cocoa supplies will increase and the price of cocoa will fall precipitously - Incorrect

Hence C

I got the correct answer but was not able to get what question is, I got that from your post, Thanks for providing such nice explanation.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS '21
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 02:38
Gmatprep550
I hope this helps you out:

Argument :

↑ prices of pepper = that of cocoa --------> Not better off after switching P->C <----- ( Has to be weakened)

Prethinking: To find a Reason that makes the switched pepper growers better off! Thereby weakening the above argument

Process of Elimination :

A) Neutral statement which is somehow Supporting the contention that the growers are not at a better off situation now : as they didnt anticipate that the prices would rise so high, making them no better off
B) This Strengthens cuz if the initial cost of switching was substantial then it implies that ↑ price of Pepper + the ↑ Switching cost makes them in worst condition and not better off
C) Weakens by making the Growers Better off: If the supplies would have been large enough , prices would had been low showing that the growers are at a better situation by shifting to cocoa
D) Supports the argument : that if after switching to Cocoa, it is still prone to bad weather then growers are no better and hence are worse
E) Supports: Sayn 'as more ppl are joining then eventually price of Cocoal will go down and hence the are No Better off'

Kudos if you like my explaination :)
All the best with your preparation :thumbup:
Happy Learning
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 08:02
Could someone help to breakdown this question? I had chosen B as the answer.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Sloan '21
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 10:45
Leonaann wrote:
Could someone help to breakdown this question? I had chosen B as the answer.

Hi,

Consider it as a weakener question and then try to solve it. let me know if you are still not able to solve it.
GMAT Club Bot
Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jan 2019, 10:45

Partly because of bad weather, but also partly because some major pepp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap