Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [7]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Patients who feel they have a good relationship with their doctors gen [#permalink]
I don't understand how it is E.
Stimulus talks about patients and doctors relationships and how this relationship impact positively the well being of patients.
E say that the more anxious a patient is, the more protracted his or her recovery from a medical condition is.
It doesn't connect stimulus as much better as that connected by option B.
Option B reinforces the stimulus, saying that medical schools and health insurers have taken measures to improve doctor-patient communication.

Now my question is why not B and why E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Patients who feel they have a good relationship with their doctors gen [#permalink]
I also have same question. Why E, not B? Option E connects anxiety and recover of the patient. Shouldn't we go for something that reinforces that recovery of a patient depends on the patient's relationship with the doctor?
Please explain.

Regards,
Arup

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618897 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Patients who feel they have a good relationship with their doctors generally show more improvement in their health than those who lack a connection with their doctors. Patients who like their doctors show improved emotional well-being, are less anxious about their symptoms, and are more likely to follow doctors’ advice.

Which one of the following, if true, would provide the most support for the argument?

(A) Patients are more likely to take legal action against a doctor for malpractice if they believe that the doctor failed to establish a connection with them during their office visits.

(B) Recently, medical schools and health insurers have taken measures to improve doctorpatient communication.

(C) Doctors who work in stressful environments are much less likely to take the time to connect with patients than doctors in more relaxed settings.

(D) The average physician spends about 15 minutes with each patient during routine office visits.

(E) A large number of studies have confirmed that the more anxious a patient is, the more protracted his or her recovery from a medical condition is.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

E. The argument claims that patients do better when they feel a connection to their doctors; the premises are three factors that result from liking one’s doctor. To support this argument, you need to find statements that link those factors with health improvements. Choice (A) doesn’t help. It illustrates the danger of people not liking their doctors but doesn’t prove the point that patients who like their doctors are healthier. Choice (B) may suggest that improving doctor-patient communication is desirable, but it doesn’t specifically link improved communication to improved patient health. Choice (C) presents a reason for poor doctor-patient communication but doesn’t show how that affects patient health. Choice (D) provides evidence of how the average doctor doesn’t have a good relationship with patients, but it doesn’t show the results of good doctor-patient rapport. Choice (E) does support the conclusion by linking one effect of liking a doctor (less anxiety) to a greater improvement in health. Choice (E) is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts