Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Re: Paying for B-school [#permalink]
for chicago gsb, you are automatically considered for a bunch of different scholarships... although many are specialized (e.g. women going into finance, former military going into consulting, etc.), such that i only qualified for the catch all scholarship
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I pretty sure all of my applications included a sentence or two indicating that all applicants are considered for merit-based scholarships.

Cornell had an additional essay for their Park Fellowship. There may be other schools that ask applicants to complete an additional application or essay to be considered for similar awards. However, these are well-advertised, so you'll become aware of them as your research programs.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
A friend of mine that went to Harvard's KSG (granted not b-school) was awarded a 1/2 scholarship based on merit + need. Not sure how much the need was a factor, but it certainly made paying for it easier.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
The process is pretty school-dependent. A lot of schools will automatically consider all students for merit scholarships after (or sometimes upon) admission. Some like MIT Sloan ask you to check off boxes on the admissions application, indicating which scholarships you qualify for. Others like Wharton have a completely separate fellowship/scholarship application. Finally, Harvard and Stanford don't give out merit-based money.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kellogg gives lots of need/merit based scholarships out from what I have heard. That said need seems to basically mean your EFC on the FAFSA is less than what the cost for a year of school will be.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
 Q47  V44
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
So I have....a friend....., we will call him Raadend. Raadend can probably afford B-school without taking loans or getting aid. However, my "friend" would prefer to get some sort of financial aid instead of taking such a huge financial hit. Are scholarships and such granted to people who do not really need them?

As far as I know, Duke only offers need-based aid in the form of Perkins loans (5% interest, instead of 6.8-8.5%). I actually received this offer, but it was only for $3,000. Hence, the annual maximum for Perkins loans is so small that it doesn't mean a whole lot compared to the ridiculous amount of debt.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
take a look at each school's merit-scholarship webpage. Most merit scholarships are given without a separate application. But some do require a few more essays, so keep that in mind when you get accepted into said school.

The Knowledge Vault should have some more good threads from the past that can help.
GMAT Club Bot