It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2016, 09:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2017, 09:34
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the correct answer?

My analysis is as follows , 1. Price falls down as the crop's yield is in abandance or vice versa.
2.growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future
3. This year the crop yield is smallest.

So based on the above 3 premise my query is How come the reason for them to hold back this year crop yield is related to the last 2 year yield.As i suppose,once this year yield is smallest then growers should sells instead of holding back as i assume that this year the price will shoots up and even if the last 2 year yields were recordbreaking,they would be selling even previous stored pecans.

Could you please clarify what i'm missing?

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,

Let me use some numbers here:

Let's suppose that the market demand is 100 units. So, if you sell more than 100 units, the price falls (as the argument says).

Suppose last year, the farmers/growers produced 150 units of pecans. Now, this means that probably, they would not have sold 50 units last year.

Since this year, the produce was very low. Let's say it is 60 units.

Now, my question is: how many units of pecans do farmers have for selling this year? Is it 60 or 110?

If it is 110 units, would farmers want to hold back some of the produce this year too, given above explanation?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

60->Because profit matters.
if it is 110 and farmers want to hold back some then the amount that would be held back needs to be 10 or more depending on how much profit farmers want to make.
Thus the decision is at farmer's discretion and not bound by some hard logic. If 10 or more are held back, they might as well hold back a much larger proportion than that making 60 a fair contender.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 32

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2017, 21:57
This is a find the assumption question in disguise. Knowing this, which of the answer choices is necessary for the author's argument to hold.

Give me kudos and see what happens to your GMAT score :-)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2017, 21:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 43 posts ] 

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap