GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 21:19
egmat wrote:
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

Could you please explain the correct answer?

My analysis is as follows , 1. Price falls down as the crop's yield is in abandance or vice versa.
2.growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future
3. This year the crop yield is smallest.

So based on the above 3 premise my query is How come the reason for them to hold back this year crop yield is related to the last 2 year yield.As i suppose,once this year yield is smallest then growers should sells instead of holding back as i assume that this year the price will shoots up and even if the last 2 year yields were recordbreaking,they would be selling even previous stored pecans.

Could you please clarify what i'm missing?

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,

Let me use some numbers here:

Let's suppose that the market demand is 100 units. So, if you sell more than 100 units, the price falls (as the argument says).

Suppose last year, the farmers/growers produced 150 units of pecans. Now, this means that probably, they would not have sold 50 units last year.

Since this year, the produce was very low. Let's say it is 60 units.

Now, my question is: how many units of pecans do farmers have for selling this year? Is it 60 or 110?

If it is 110 units, would farmers want to hold back some of the produce this year too, given above explanation?

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Hello Egmat

What if we assume market demand as 200
Last two year yield as 250
current year yield as 50.

Then as per the math we did above, farmers don't need to save any crop at all to meet the demand of the market.
Please explain where am I wrong?
e-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2018, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
betterscore wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce, but the price drops sharply when pecans are abundant. Thus, in high-yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future. This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back, since _____________ .

(A) each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields

(B) the quality of this year's pecan crop is no worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years

(C) pecan prices have not been subject to sharp fluctuations in recent years

(D) for some pecan growers, this year's crop was no smaller than last year's

(E) the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year

Argument:
Farmers get high price if pecans are scarce and low price if they are abundant.
So in high yield years, farmers hold back and refrigerate some crop (create artificial rarity) for 1-2 yrs. So they sell this crop in the next 1-2 years hoping for better price.
This year the crop was smallest in 5 years but farmers may still store away some for next 1-2 years.

Why?

Here is what comes to mind: Smallest in 5 years does not mean small. What if in the last 4 years, there was bumper crop? It could still be average or above average this year. Also, what if because of bumper crop of last 1-2 years, there is a lot refrigerated and needs to be sold this year? The argument says that it is held back for 1-2 years. So the last 2 years crop would need to be sold now. The current fresh crop can be partially sold and partially refrigerated for future. This is what option (A) says and is correct.

(B) the quality of this year's pecan crop is no worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years
Quality is irrelevant to the argument.

Sharp fluctuations may not have been there but farmers could still "hope for better prices"

We are talking about the total yield. For some farmers it may have been the same, for some even more than last year but overall it is smallest in last 5 years.

(E) the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year
It doesn't help resolve why this year it may be held back.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 11:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinjaTwo

I am stumped by the answer choices and was not able to perform PoE correctly.

My understanding of argument:

Quote:
Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce, but the price drops sharply when pecans are abundant.

A particular food grain farmers get high price when these grains are less in supply than demand. Obviously prices rises up to meet demand and vice versa.

Quote:
Thus, in high-yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future.

When the food grains are cultivated in abundance, the farmers store some of them in cold storage for x duration so that they can sell them when prices are high.
Quote:
This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back, since

What happened this year was: The yield was smallest in last five years, So I pause and think: Definitely storage is not possible due to lower yields.

The word - nonetheless - shows that I will be presented with a contrast. The contrast is that : farmers decide to NOT sell all of the food grains. This is surprising to me as well since if lower yields are there in current year, why would they not sell all it it? Ideally they should be getting higher price this year and not store / held back food grains.
The correct answer choice will resolve this mystery.

PoE:

Quote:

So what? In current time, why do farmers need to store food grains in cold storage
Quote:

Quality is irrelevant to argument

Quote:

Seems close, if fluctuations itself are not guaranteed , the action of farmers to store shall be not be a reliable one

Quote:

This increases the mystery further
Quote:

I am not sure if widespread of a particular practice is relevant. But note the later part of choice: since this year also my yield was as low as last year the mystery gets deepened instead of resolving.

adkikani, I thought your analysis of the argument was great, and I'm glad to see that you are using POE!

We know that "pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce." As a result, "in high-yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years." That way, when pecans are comparatively scarce, they can pull those pecans out of storage and sell them at a higher price.

So when we have a low-yield year, we wouldn't expect the farmers to hold back pecans. This makes us inclined to eliminate (A).

But what if we have a low-yield year AFTER having two record-breaking years? During the two record-breaking years, the farmers would have put a lot of pecans in storage. This year, yields are low, so we can take those pecans OUT of storage and sell them. If the farmers sell all of the stored pecans AND all of the pecans from this years' crop, they might flood the market with pecans and actually drive prices down, despite this year's low yield.

So what do they do? They sell the stored pecans and hold some of this year's pecans back. That way, they avoid a market oversupply and still have some pecans in storage for next year in case yields are low again.

At first glance, (A) doesn't seem relevant. But if you think about the situation, (A) would indeed resolve the mystery.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 17:48
I originally chose A because in my passage notes, I had written that a possible answer should point to "abundant crops within 2 years". What threw me off about choice A was the word "record-breaking". I felt it was too strong of a description for the answer to be right.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 05:05
hdavies wrote:
I originally chose A because in my passage notes, I had written that a possible answer should point to "abundant crops within 2 years". What threw me off about choice A was the word "record-breaking". I felt it was too strong of a description for the answer to be right.

I often come across this point of view - "an option is too strong/extreme and hence must be incorrect". But this is not right.

What do you mean by too strong? The argument could very well warrant strong language.

Here, more the production in the last two years, better the argument. So "record-breaking" is actually re-assuring. If more is leftover from last two years, we will need to hold back more of this year's produce.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 06:45
I still haven't seen a compelling reason as to why D is wrong

If total yield this year is 100, and 30% of the farmers store some pecans, then the supply of pecans will be less
Director
Director
P
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 04:36
betterscore wrote:

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are comparatively scarce, but the price drops sharply when pecans are abundant. Thus, in high-yield years, growers often hold back part of their crop in refrigerated warehouses for one or two years, hoping for higher prices in the future. This year's pecan crop was the smallest in five years. It is nonetheless quite possible that a portion of this year's crop will be held back, since _____________ .

B, D, E are Irrelevant here. Only A and C are looking good. I choose A over C

Hence (A)

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '20, IIMA , IIMC
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 05:42
ChrisLele
GMATNinja

here is my understanding
argument is about demand -supply-price

1.scarce in amount-> high price
2.abundant->low price
plan:hold back a part of yield to meet just the demand,avoiding oversupply and get high price after 1-2 years

this year:yield is smallest among last 5 years
but it does not mean there is a low yield.the amount produced can be high enough to cause an oversupply.Hence hold back some part of yield

now option A tells that in last 2 years production was record-breaking
so it may be possible that there is not yet enough demand to meet the supply.so hold back this year's production
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2018, 05:09
betterscore wrote:

(B), (C) and (E) can be easily eliminated as the points they talk about are out of scope of stimulus.

The choice is between (A) and (D).

The word "some" in (D) doesn't align with stimulus. The stimulus doesn't give any information if some or all growers hold back the crop and if "some" growers have a bumper crop then in that case other growers with smallest crop will hold the crop. We can eliminate (D).

Correct ans: (A)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 06:33
hi, anyone can help explain what E says?
I think the subject of E is the practice, the verb is had not yet become widespread.
IMO, practice means the action of store pecan. so Does E say that the action of store had not been well known?
i Dont understand "the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year."
The first part of E states the action had not been wel known, the second states the previous yield was same as this year yield
Its strange,
it is hard for me to understand E

Please clarify

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 10:07
zoezhuyan wrote:
I think the subject of E is the practice, the verb is had not yet become widespread.
IMO, practice means the action of store pecan. so Does E say that the action of store had not been well known?
i Dont understand "the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year."
The first part of E states the action had not been wel known, the second states the previous yield was same as this year yield
Its strange,

Please clarify

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

Hey zoezhuyan ,

I will try to explain you E in simpler terms.

Let's say this year(2018) crop was the lowest and the last time it was lowest was in 2010. Now, E is saying in 2010, we never used to hold back any crop across as much as as we are holding the crop this year.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 21:21

Category: Logical completion

Known Information:
Farmers usually hold back certain portion of the crop in warehouse for one or two years.
This years crop was the smallest in five years.

Analysis:
The question we need to ask is why does the farmer's hold back certain part of the crop. The main reason is farmers are saving the crop for the rainy day, so when the yield is low they can get higher price. Now lets see the answer choices.

(A) each of the last two years produced record breaking pecan yields - This matches with our line of thought.

(B) the quality of this year's pecan crop is no worse than the quality of the pecan crops of the previous five years - Irrelevant

(C) pecan prices have not been subject to sharp fluctuations in recent years - Irrelevant to our question here

(D) for some pecan growers, this year's crop was no smaller than last year's - This does not give us information about why farmers chose to hold back some part of crop.

(E) the practice of holding back part of one year's crop had not yet become widespread the last time the pecan crop was as small as it was this year - Same reason as option 4

Ans: A

----------------------------------------------------------------
Please give kudos if it helps

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 22:18
abhimahna wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Its strange,

Please clarify

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day
>_~

Hey zoezhuyan ,

I will try to explain you E in simpler terms.

Let's say this year(2018) crop was the lowest and the last time it was lowest was in 2010. Now, E is saying in 2010, we never used to hold back any crop across as much as as we are holding the crop this year.

Does that make sense?

thanks su much
abhimahna
it's helpful, and i am worried further about my reading skill, LOL

I read a lot of your posts, i appreciate them

Have a nice day
>_~
Re: Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are   [#permalink] 17 May 2018, 22:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

Pecan growers get a high price for their crop when pecans are

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap