Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink]
lumone wrote:
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Hey, guys
I just discovered that Wharton has a joint MBA/MA program. I'm from the Ukraine and even though Russian is not the official language in my country, I speak Russian fluently. Does anyone know if it's easier to get accepted to a joint program versus a normal MBA?
Thanks

The Lauder Official Site states the following:

Quote:
-I’ve heard that the acceptance rate is higher for Lauder than for the regular pool of applicants. Why?

On average, the Lauder Institute receives hundreds of applications for a class size of approximately 50-55 students, while Wharton receives thousands of applications for a class size of 800 students; thus the yield rate for Lauder is higher than for Wharton.

Would anyone have more details such as the acceptance rate? I heard that this rate is higher for German and Russian programs. Is that true?

They don't release this information.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
EX10XL wrote:
You cannot be a native speaker of the language you are applying for. However you may apply if you are considered a "heritage speaker" - meaning you moved from Russia to the US at age 10 and your Russian is not completely fluent. You would have to speak to the Lauder adcom to get the details on eligibility. Most of it has to do with your OPI score.

Whats the OPI score?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
EX10XL wrote:
You cannot be a native speaker of the language you are applying for. However you may apply if you are considered a "heritage speaker" - meaning you moved from Russia to the US at age 10 and your Russian is not completely fluent. You would have to speak to the Lauder adcom to get the details on eligibility. Most of it has to do with your OPI score.

Whats the OPI score?

A language test (https://www.languagetesting.com/acad_opi.htm) that is required for the MBA/Lauder application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: Penn (Wharton) [#permalink]
I'm planning to apply to the Wharton/Lauder program (my language will be Russian). I had a few questions for the forum members:

1. Has anyone taken the OPI for any of the languages? What type of questions (in general) do they ask?

2. Does anyone know of students/alumni who are going through or have completed the program?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
This question is really more for the original topic of the thread than the last several posts, but here goes: I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on the culture of Wharton. Several of the other ultra-elite/elite finance-focused schools have reputations for having very competitive environments, i.e. Chicago, Columbia, etc. I haven't heard quite the same thing about Wharton. Would you say that the same is true of Wharton or not?

Of course, I'd like to evaluate this on a campus visit at some point, but that's off in the future.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (accepted), Tuck (waitlisted-withdrawn),UCLA (dinged)
GPA: 3.93
WE 1: 10 Creative Advertising/Entrepreneurship
WE 2: 3 Web development
Send PM
jsmith54 wrote:
This question is really more for the original topic of the thread than the last several posts, but here goes: I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on the culture of Wharton. Several of the other ultra-elite/elite finance-focused schools have reputations for having very competitive environments, i.e. Chicago, Columbia, etc. I haven't heard quite the same thing about Wharton. Would you say that the same is true of Wharton or not?

Of course, I'd like to evaluate this on a campus visit at some point, but that's off in the future.

Wharton undergrad is competitive. Wharton MBA is collaborative. There is a grade curve but people aren't very grade focused because they have grade non-disclosure policy which discourages from students talking about their grades with employers. A lot of the coursework is done with learning teams of 6 students.

Wharton has the most surprisingly friendly, helpful students of any MBA program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Good idea, I think to incorporate these links in the future.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2