It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People who have political power tend to see new technologies

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 100

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2015, 14:10
Please check this URL: http://www.urch.com/forums/showthread.p ... R-Question , It states C is the answer and B is an assumption..

The most problemsome issue in Strengthen and assumption questions is, we will find 2 options, 1 which strenthens and other which will be an assumption...

In assumption questions, Strenghtening options on negation will pull down the conclusion as well. On strenthening questions, assumption options will drive us mad on making a choice.. So we have to differentiate between the two somehow.. But how?

Please share your valuble inputs.

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2014
Posts: 190

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2015, 06:50
prasannar wrote:
People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Those who offer new ways of justifying current political power often reap the benefits of their own innovations.

(B) Politically powerful people tend to reward those who they believe are useful to them and to punish those who they believe are a threat.

(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals

(D) New technologies are often used by people who strive to defeat those who currently have political power.

(E) Many people who possess ethical inventiveness conceal their novel ethical arguments for fear of retribution by the politically powerful.


How to eliminte C? On NEGATING A,same thing cannot bring pain as well as be beneficial.
:oops:

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 23

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2015, 11:37
People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Those who offer new ways of justifying current political power often reap the benefits of their own innovations.

(B) Politically powerful people tend to reward those who they believe are useful to them and to punish those who they believe are a threat.

(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals

(D) New technologies are often used by people who strive to defeat those who currently have political power.

(E) Many people who possess ethical inventiveness conceal their novel ethical arguments for fear of retribution by the politically powerful.



Premise 1 ---People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power
premise 2---- they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it.

conclusion---- Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

therefore -------conclusion marker

Objective --- to find the sentence, which strengthen the conclusion



(A) Those who offer new ways of justifying current political power often reap the benefits of their own innovations.


the sentence says that it is not politician that reap the benefits ----wrong, actually it is weakening

(B) Politically powerful people tend to reward those who they believe are useful to them and to punish those who they believe are a threat.

correct


(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals


Irrelevant , strong sentence .

(D) New technologies are often used by people who strive to defeat those who currently have political power.

the sentence is weakling

(E) Many people who possess ethical inventiveness conceal their novel ethical arguments for fear of retribution by the politically powerful.

look this part of the conclusion ---whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness -----that statement is partial conclusion .


Answer B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Posts: 70

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2016, 19:42
bsd_lover wrote:
Agree with you cat. B it is.
catgmat wrote:
(B) strenghens the conclusion by pointing out that political power benefits from technology and will therefore reward it, while it will punish ethical inventiveness!

cheers


I have a doubt. Why are you comparing technology with people.
C says that people who are beneficial will be rewarded and others punished.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10134

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 02:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 211

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 655

Premium Member
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2016, 04:24
People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) Those who offer new ways of justifying current political power often reap the benefits of their own innovations.
(B) Politically powerful people tend to reward those who they believe are useful to them and to punish those who they believe are a threat.
(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals
(D) New technologies are often used by people who strive to defeat those who currently have political power.
(E) Many people who possess ethical inventiveness conceal their novel ethical arguments for fear of retribution by the politically powerful.[/textarea][/quote]


(A) Those who offer new ways of justifying current political power often reap the benefits of their own innovations. Not helping in strengthening the argument.
(B) Politically powerful people tend to reward those who they believe are useful to them and to punish those who they believe are a threat.Supporting the conclusion by providing information that they punish those whom they see as threat (people who have ethical inventiveness)
(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals. Does not effect the conclusion. "Never" is too extreme.
(D) New technologies are often used by people who strive to defeat those who currently have political power. Opposite answer. Political people use new technologies to retain power.
(E) Many people who possess ethical inventiveness conceal their novel ethical arguments for fear of retribution by the politically powerful. Concealing novel ethical arguments does not mean that a person is being punished[/textarea][/quote]
_________________

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 655

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1158

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2017, 00:42
this question is interesting because the argument concludes about 2 things.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 05:40
I struggled between (B) and (C), but here is why (C) is wrong.

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals. -- The argument leaves room that someone can have both and be punished for it. If the argument said 'only brings' instead of 'usually brings', then this answer would be 100% correct.
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1158

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:30
the trick here is to keep eyes on the flow of the logic.
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:40
chesstitans wrote:
the trick here is to keep eyes on the flow of the logic.
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.


I disagree with your conclusion, Titan. I'm not criticizing, I am just curious how you came to your conclusion.

The flow, to me, goes like this: Political power --- reward technology (benefit to me as a political figure) ----- punish ethical arguments (threat to me as a political figure)
Where does it say smart people will use the technology for good?

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1158

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:56
nightblade354 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
the trick here is to keep eyes on the flow of the logic.
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.


I disagree with your conclusion, Titan. I'm not criticizing, I am just curious how you came to your conclusion.

The flow, to me, goes like this: Political power --- reward technology (benefit to me as a political figure) ----- punish ethical arguments (threat to me as a political figure)
Where does it say smart people will use the technology for good?

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness



"technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity,"
That is how I understand this sentence, so perhaps, I must have wrongly interpreted the word "ingenuity", this word should have the meaning of decency.

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1118

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Jul 2017
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 09:00
chesstitans wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
the trick here is to keep eyes on the flow of the logic.
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.


I disagree with your conclusion, Titan. I'm not criticizing, I am just curious how you came to your conclusion.

The flow, to me, goes like this: Political power --- reward technology (benefit to me as a political figure) ----- punish ethical arguments (threat to me as a political figure)
Where does it say smart people will use the technology for good?

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness



"technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity,"
That is how I understand this sentence, so perhaps, I must have wrongly interpreted the word "ingenuity", this word should have the meaning of decency.


To me, this meant the political figures will give them the benefits (I was picturing a totalitarian dictatorship). But you may be right, and it is an interesting way to approach the question. Either way, we both got it right!
_________________

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 74

Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

People who have political power tend to see new technologies

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.