GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 11:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

People who have political power tend to see new technologies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 05:40
I struggled between (B) and (C), but here is why (C) is wrong.

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness.

(C) Ethical inventiveness and technical ingenuity are never possessed by the same individuals. -- The argument leaves room that someone can have both and be punished for it. If the argument said 'only brings' instead of 'usually brings', then this answer would be 100% correct.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:30
the trick here is to keep eyes on the flow of the logic.
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.
CR Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:40
chesstitans wrote:
The logic is either political figures use technology to extend their power or smart people use technology for good things.
B is the right answer.

I disagree with your conclusion, Titan. I'm not criticizing, I am just curious how you came to your conclusion.

The flow, to me, goes like this: Political power --- reward technology (benefit to me as a political figure) ----- punish ethical arguments (threat to me as a political figure)
Where does it say smart people will use the technology for good?

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 08:56
nightblade354 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
B is the right answer.

I disagree with your conclusion, Titan. I'm not criticizing, I am just curious how you came to your conclusion.

The flow, to me, goes like this: Political power --- reward technology (benefit to me as a political figure) ----- punish ethical arguments (threat to me as a political figure)

People who have political power tend to see new technologies as a means of extending or protecting their power, whereas they generally see new ethical arguments and ideas as a threat to it. Therefore, technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity, whereas ethical inventiveness brings only pain to those who have this inventiveness

"technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity,"
That is how I understand this sentence, so perhaps, I must have wrongly interpreted the word "ingenuity", this word should have the meaning of decency.
CR Forum Moderator
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 09:00
chesstitans wrote:
nightblade354 wrote:
chesstitans wrote:
B is the right answer.

"technical ingenuity usually brings benefits to those who have this ingenuity,"
That is how I understand this sentence, so perhaps, I must have wrongly interpreted the word "ingenuity", this word should have the meaning of decency.

To me, this meant the political figures will give them the benefits (I was picturing a totalitarian dictatorship). But you may be right, and it is an interesting way to approach the question. Either way, we both got it right!

Re: People who have political power tend to see new technologies &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2017, 09:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

People who have political power tend to see new technologies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap