Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People who listen to certain recordings of music are in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 14:36
1
This post received
KUDOS
21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (02:32) correct 75% (01:25) wrong based on 1167 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by mikemcgarry on 10 Mar 2017, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
corrected the OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 08 May 2012
Posts: 51
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 272

Kudos [?]: 331 [12] , given: 4

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2012, 15:49
12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gjg wrote:
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays


As always with CR, let's start with the question itself!

This is a Draw a Conclusion question, and when it comes to this question type, here's the golden rule:

    Pick the Conclusion that follows directly from the givens.

And so we're on to step two: understand those givens!

Here's what we know:

  • There are musical recordings with backwards message.
  • Listening to certain examples of such music may result in one being influenced by the message.

... and really, that's it. We don't have much to work with here! That actually carries a major pro on Draw a Conclusion – any answer choice that tries to claim "too much" should be tossed aside. Let's dive in ...

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings.

Remember that we're trying to draw a conclusion from what they have told us. There is nothing in the passage about volume. Wrong.

2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance

Same problem as (A). We're just told that people who do listen to these may be influenced by the message. We have no idea how good they sound! Wrong.

3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state

Why were these particular recordings chosen to have such messages? We don't know anything about where the message came from or who recorded them, let alone why they did it. Wrong.

4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

Now finally we have a real contender! Notice the overlap in language between this choice and the original passage – they both talk about "such message" and "exert[ing] influence". Let's break down what (D) is really saying. Note that it is of the form "if P, then Q," where

P = such messages must be comprehended to exert influence

and

Q = people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

(Note that I tend to think pretty Quantitatively, even on the Verbal section!) Well, what do we know about influence from the passage? We know that some people are influenced by these messages. If we take P as given (people must understand the messages for them to be influenced by the messages), and we know that some people are influenced by the messages, then we can safely conclude Q (those people are able to understand the messages).

Note that in choosing choice (D), we are only concluding the if/then statement "if P, then Q". We are actually not concluding Q itself (people can understand the messages), nor can we!! We are just saying that, "if people must understand to be influenced, AND people actually are getting influenced, then we can say that people must understand."

It's pretty subtle, but hopefully that makes sense. (D) is in fact the correct answer, but really the better way to go here is to just try eliminating (E)! Let's take a look ...

5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

The passage never says that we have to pay full attention to the music (or the message, for that matter) to be influenced by the message. All we know is that there are messages and some people are influenced by them. That's it. Wrong.

I think the original post says (E) for the correct answer, but it's definitely (D)!

Hope that helps!

Mark
_________________


Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2012, 15:50
You are definitely correct. May I ask you a quick question? As one of your keen competitors advised, to deal with “drawing a conclusion” question, one should eliminate extreme words in answer choices except that there is a similar extreme expression in the stimulus. However, in this squib, do you find any extreme word? Is it “unduly”, meaning “excessively”? If not, how are you certain to pick up D as a correct answer? Is it the “if, then” pattern that guides you to quickly select the correct one?

I believe that different kinds of CR questions have distinct correct answer patterns. Could you please exemplify some more reasoning patterns with symbolic phrases like “if, then”?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2012, 15:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
On average, we have one and half minutes to deal with a CR question. It will take an average of one minute to carefully read a stimulus, a question stem, and five answer choices. There will be around half minute to choose the correct answer. Do you think there is enough time for you to brainstorm some assumptions to handle the assumption family questions in such a short time? On the contrary, to save the valuable time, can we read the stimulus first rather than question first and then repeat the same question later since we already know that there are two major CR question types – assumption family and inference family plus some other minor ones – flawing reasoning, parallel reasoning, resolving paradox, function, etc.? I think a would-be GMAT 800 winner definitely employs a counterintuitive technique rather than follow an inflexible 4-step pattern to crack some “crazy” CR questions?

In short, can we just comprehensively read the squib and question and rapidly make an educated guess at the best answer with the right pattern in mind just as an aardvark quickly and accurately gets its prey with an electric tread in its tapered snout?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10667
Followers: 957

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2014, 02:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2014
Posts: 167
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 87

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2014, 05:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
MarkSullivan wrote:
gjg wrote:
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays


As always with CR, let's start with the question itself!

This is a Draw a Conclusion question, and when it comes to this question type, here's the golden rule:

    Pick the Conclusion that follows directly from the givens.

And so we're on to step two: understand those givens!

Here's what we know:

  • There are musical recordings with backwards message.
  • Listening to certain examples of such music may result in one being influenced by the message.

... and really, that's it. We don't have much to work with here! That actually carries a major pro on Draw a Conclusion – any answer choice that tries to claim "too much" should be tossed aside. Let's dive in ...

........

4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

Now finally we have a real contender! Notice the overlap in language between this choice and the original passage – they both talk about "such message" and "exert[ing] influence". Let's break down what (D) is really saying. Note that it is of the form "if P, then Q," where

P = such messages must be comprehended to exert influence

and

Q = people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards

(Note that I tend to think pretty Quantitatively, even on the Verbal section!) Well, what do we know about influence from the passage? We know that some people are influenced by these messages. If we take P as given (people must understand the messages for them to be influenced by the messages), and we know that some people are influenced by the messages, then we can safely conclude Q (those people are able to understand the messages).

Note that in choosing choice (D), we are only concluding the if/then statement "if P, then Q". We are actually not concluding Q itself (people can understand the messages), nor can we!! We are just saying that, "if people must understand to be influenced, AND people actually are getting influenced, then we can say that people must understand."

It's pretty subtle, but hopefully that makes sense. (D) is in fact the correct answer, but really the better way to go here is to just try eliminating (E)! Let's take a look ...

5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

The passage never says that we have to pay full attention to the music (or the message, for that matter) to be influenced by the message. All we know is that there are messages and some people are influenced by them. That's it. Wrong.

I think the original post says (E) for the correct answer, but it's definitely (D)!

Hope that helps!

Mark




Hi Mark,

I agree with elimination of first 3 option as you have highlighted, and also that option D and E are good contenders. But option D is definitely not the right answer considering following reasons

I) Question asks us to draw conclusion from the GIVEN argument - "A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that ". The answer choice D introduces new argument, argument p as you have highlighted. The choice D is correct, only when argument p is added to the given argument. That is, it goes against the requirement stated in the question.
II) Answer choice E is actually a pre-requisite type of conclusion. That is, if full attention is not paid, then there is no question of understanding or not understanding backwardly recorded message.
III) A best scenario to get influenced by message would be (in the given order)
a) pay full attention to music and all messages inside
b) be able to interpret the backward message (note that there is no "if" condition here, unlike option D)
c) Get influenced by interpreted message (as given in the passage)

If we fail to do III-a, then there is no question of being able to interpret the message.

Hence, E should be the correct choice.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2011
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 13:34
Doe anyone know what the OA is? The expert's comment in the thread says the OA should be (D) where as the OA mentioned is (E). Please clarify. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jul 2013
Posts: 54
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 151

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 15:37
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I choose D after taking +5 minutes for single question. Expert advice please what is the right answer?

Option E) - i find it more like assumption and not conclusion, logic gap filler - music record listening.....PAY FULL ATTENTION.... get influenced.
And its a conclusion question answer must be drawn from given argument.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2012
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 126

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 07:12
Hi Moderators,

The OE points to D as the answers, however the system says it's E. Kindly update the OA in the official question.

Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2016
Posts: 658
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 36

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 09:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
E is the strongest contender
People who LISTEN TO blah blah blah blah blah INFLUENCED BY SPOKEN MESSAGES blah blah blah blah

Here Listening is the cause and getting influenced is the effect.
IF CAUSE DOES NOT HAPPEN EFFECT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

If you don't understand french you can't appreciate a Tragic french poem. You may laugh .. ha ha ha ha at their funny accent. But the poem is suppose to influence you to feel pain and hurt. Every single Frensh person cries bucket full of tears whenever he hear the poem. And here look at you, laughing at the Poem :-D


So the argument is concluding that people pay full attention., therefore at at risk of getting influences.

CORRECT ANSWER IS E



gjg wrote:
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

_________________

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2015
Posts: 337
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 36

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2016, 21:32
First chose E , but Mark's explanation corrected my mistake. I choose D now.

"listen" is not same as "pay attention"
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3983
Followers: 1354

Kudos [?]: 6358 [0], given: 81

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 15:18
gjg wrote:
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in danger of being unduly influenced by spoken messages that have been recorded backwards on the records or tapes.

A conclusion can be drawn from the above is that

1) the spoken messages must be louder than the music on the recordings
2) backwards messages can be added to a recording while still preserving all the musical qualities of the recorded performance
3) the recordings on which such messages appear are chosen for this purpose either because they are especially popular or because they induce a trancelike state
4) if such messages must be comprehended to exert influence, then people must be able to comprehend spoken messages recorded backwards
5) when people listen to recorded music, they pay full attention to the music as it plays

Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Could the moderator please verify the validity of this question and answer. Would you please please add the source and the answer of this question if possible. Thank you! :)

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

This is an LSAT Logical Reasoning question--it's from an LSAT in 1992. I corrected the OA in this thread: it should be (D).

It doesn't quite have the feel of a GMAT CR question. For example, I don't believe I have seen many GMAT CR questions that have "if-then" statements in the answer choices. The LSAT has much more emphasis on formal logic than does the GMAT.

Nevertheless, for GMAT students wanting to sharpen their CR skills, the LSAT Logical Reasoning questions provide excellent practice. Choice (D) has a formal logical structure that, again, is more typical of the LSAT than of the GMAT, but it's clearly the best answer. This question is logically rigorous and very well constructed. If you understand questions of this sort well, then the GMAT CR will seem easy by comparison.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 17:06
Mike,

Thank you for your clarification on this question. I/we really appreciate you taking the time on this...

I did notice that the blog webpage still has the incorrect answer under the part that needs to be highlighted to see the answer. Would you be able to update that as well?

All the best and thanks again!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3983
Followers: 1354

Kudos [?]: 6358 [0], given: 81

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 17:56
Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Mike,

Thank you for your clarification on this question. I/we really appreciate you taking the time on this...

I did notice that the blog webpage still has the incorrect answer under the part that needs to be highlighted to see the answer. Would you be able to update that as well?

All the best and thanks again!

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

My friend, I apologize, but I don't understand what you are asking--when you say "the blog webpage," to exactly what website are you referring?

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2014
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 21:26
Hi Mike,

Sorry about that. I attempted to insert the webpage for you, but I was unable to do so due to the restriction of this site. You'll need to add gmatclub dot com in front of the first / I can't send the link to you because I haven't made enough posts.

/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3983
Followers: 1354

Kudos [?]: 6358 [0], given: 81

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 11:24
Tuckwhartonbooth wrote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry about that. I attempted to insert the webpage for you, but I was unable to do so due to the restriction of this site. You'll need to add gmatclub dot com in front of the first / I can't send the link to you because I haven't made enough posts.

/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/

Dear Tuckwhartonbooth,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I tried to go to
gmatclub.com/blog/2017/03/gmat-question-of-the-day-march-10-3/
and I got an error message.

In any event, as a moderator from another company, I have some privileges to do basic editing in the verbal forum, but only the employees of GMAT Club can to site-wide editing, such as the Questions of the Day. For example, the brilliant souvik101990 works for GMAT Club and might be able to make that change if the post still exists.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Re: People who listen to certain recordings of music are in   [#permalink] 13 Mar 2017, 11:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Doctor: Research shows that adolescents who listen to music on headpho quantumliner 3 19 Mar 2017, 14:30
5 The primary way in which a person listens to music prashantpareek 11 23 May 2014, 04:34
54 Experts publish their posts in the topic Studies show that children who listen too much classic music blueseas 36 29 Jan 2013, 14:49
2 People who listen to certain recordings of music are in rohitgoel15 7 09 Jul 2010, 05:43
People who listen to certain recordings of music are in mymba99 12 18 Apr 2008, 10:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

People who listen to certain recordings of music are in

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.