Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Percentile Rank in Official Practice Test [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
smurphy93 wrote:
I did Official Practice Test 6. My quant percentile is 57% and my verbal percentile is 82% (and my IR percentile is 79%), and yet my overall score percentile is significantly higher than all those, at 85%. Seems a bit suspect to me? Does anyone know if these ranks are off at the moment, or maybe it's legit given each rank is above 50% (the average)? Or maybe I shouldn't focus on percentiles. I got Q48, V37.

Suspect 👍😂 love it.
It is correct. When you have a balanced score that bumps your percentile up.

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sm38493849 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I have done 3 Official Practice tests now - Test 6 (690), Test 5 (650) and Test 2 (710) - in that order. On Test 2 (just now) I got Q47, V40. The quant questions definitely seemed harder in Test 2 than in 5 & 6. I got 14 out of 31 questions wrong, and it felt like that in the test - I am going to review all those now. My background is engineering/finance so hopefully I can get up to say Q48-9 for the real thing ... I tried to replicate exam conditions as much as I could (even using a sharpie for my working in quant, because I believe they give you a thick pen and laminated paper to work on).

Also given I am aiming for 700+, do you think a 6 is enough on Integrated Reasoning or should I aim for 7/8?

This is a fun ongoing dialogue, sm38493849. If you were taking the Executive Assessment, I would tell you to take the IR section with care, since your performance factors in to your total score on that test; on the GMAT™, the IR score is not considered a game-changer in the admissions game. In fact, schools do not even report that score in their class profiles. A 6 will be good enough for any program. Even a 5 would be fine. I have seen successful M7 applicants with worse. The total score is what counts.

One final consideration: You do not need to answer every question correctly to earn a perfect score on IR. I have even seen someone miss up to two questions and earn a perfect 8. If you think something is going to take too long to figure out, or you feel yourself growing confused and frustrated, just take your best shot on that question and move on.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
smurphy93 wrote:
I did Official Practice Test 6. My quant percentile is 57% and my verbal percentile is 82% (and my IR percentile is 79%), and yet my overall score percentile is significantly higher than all those, at 85%. Seems a bit suspect to me? Does anyone know if these ranks are off at the moment, or maybe it's legit given each rank is above 50% (the average)? Or maybe I shouldn't focus on percentiles. I got Q48, V37.

Hello, smurphy93. I see nothing out of the ordinary with those percentiles, given your performance (even if ? is currently reported as a 67th-percentile scaled score). You have to think of it as a trial involving multiple steps—in this case, two, since your performance in Quant and Verbal is the only factor in determining your total score. By way of comparison, on a two-question test consisting of True or False answers, it might be true that any given test-taker would have a 50 percent chance of guessing the correct answer to either question, but one half times one half is only one quarter, and something similar is at work with your practice exam.

Two things to keep in mind are that 1) the total score is NOT based on your section scores (or else everyone with the same section scores would earn the same total score, and that is not the case); and 2) you should not focus too much on percentiles, just as you said at the end of your post. The only percentile that carries weight is the one next to your total score—an 85th-percentile performance should be right around a 690, slightly under a 700—but that percentile pales in comparison to the actual score. (No MBA programs report percentiles.)

As an immediate goal, see if you can reach into the 700s in your next attempt. Such a score can really open a few doors. Good luck.

- Andrew

Super helpful thank you! I have booked the real exam for next Friday and I am doing literally nothing but GMAT practice until then. Any words of wisdom?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Expert Reply
smurphy93 wrote:
Super helpful thank you! I have booked the real exam for next Friday and I am doing literally nothing but GMAT practice until then. Any words of wisdom?

Glad to help. If your exam is coming up in a week, then this is pretty much the point at which you need to flip the switch from training for the test to placing trust in that training. I advise students to spend more time reviewing, less time ploughing through questions. Sure, it is fine to look at a few new questions to quiet your mind, but you do not want to stress yourself out by taking on too much. I have seen students crumble right at the last minute of preparation, and then they have no time to rebound before the test itself. By Wednesday, you should do what you can to take your mind off the test.

Again, good luck.

- Andrew
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
I actually have a great article for you to check out, which will provide some more clarity regarding how the GMAT is scored:

How Is the GMAT Exam Scored?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi smurphy93,

Since you are so close to your Official Test Date, you do not want to be doing anything that might inadvertently lead to 'burn out.' In these last few days, you should limit your studies to general practice and light review (NO CATs and NO 'cramming') - you would be better served by getting some extra rest so that you can go into Test Day calm, clear-headed and ready to work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone! Will bear in mind not to 'burn out'

Question: how accurate are mocks? Reading some stories online of people getting way below their practice scores - questions being harder etc. I will go into the exam on Friday after some proper sleep and give it my absolute best shot, but I am also prepared for the screen to show a number like 90 points below my practice tests or something...

Also, why is the score distribution for quant (1-51) so different to the one for verbal?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, will also bear in mind.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi smurphy93,

As AndrewN pointed out, there are a number of factors that can impact someone's performance on a practice CAT/mock. Many GMATers don't properly account for those types of details (such as the type of Exam that they're taking, the time of day that they start the Exam, the testing conditions, how well-rested they are, the section-order, whether they've seen any of the questions before, etc.) - and the more that they deviate from the specific aspects of how they take the Official GMAT, the more their results can vary.

From the information that you've provided, you likely have the necessary knowledge to score at a high level, so Test Day is now just really about doing consistent, organized work (on your pad - NOT "in your head") and keeping the little mistakes to a minimum). Once you've received your Score, you should post back here (you can also feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss your results if you like.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Percentile Rank in Official Practice Test [#permalink]
Thanks everyone. I have done 3 Official Practice tests now - Test 6 (690), Test 5 (650) and Test 2 (710) - in that order. On Test 2 (just now) I got Q47, V40. The quant questions definitely seemed harder in Test 2 than in 5 & 6. I got 14 out of 31 questions wrong, and it felt like that in the test - I am going to review all those now. My background is engineering/finance so hopefully I can get up to say Q48-9 for the real thing ... I tried to replicate exam conditions as much as I could (even using a sharpie for my working in quant, because I believe they give you a thick pen and laminated paper to work on).

Also given I am aiming for 700+, do you think a 6 is enough on Integrated Reasoning or should I aim for 7/8?

Originally posted by sm38493849 on 26 Jan 2022, 04:00.
Last edited by sm38493849 on 30 Jan 2022, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
sm38493849 wrote:

This is a fun ongoing dialogue, sm38493849. If you were taking the Executive Assessment, I would tell you to take the IR section with care, since your performance factors in to your total score on that test; on the GMAT™, the IR score is not considered a game-changer in the admissions game. In fact, schools do not even report that score in their class profiles. A 6 will be good enough for any program. Even a 5 would be fine. I have seen successful M7 applicants with worse. The total score is what counts.

One final consideration: You do not need to answer every question correctly to earn a perfect score on IR. I have even seen someone miss up to two questions and earn a perfect 8. If you think something is going to take too long to figure out, or you feel yourself growing confused and frustrated, just take your best shot on that question and move on.

- Andrew

Thanks. I did a few practice AWAs as well and pasted them into a free score estimator.. coming out at 5.5+ which I guess is fine. If I am targeting M7 then I guess I should be shooting for 730. But at this point I reckon I would be quite lucky to reach 730. I'll give it my best shot and if I miss looks like I'll need to come up with some kind of plan.
GMAT Club Bot