Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Schools:Haas Darden Ross Booth Sloan (that's right, HDRBS)
 Q48  V50
Send PM
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Re: Pets and b-school [#permalink]
Becky- You might want to look into the student clubs at the schools to which you are applying. For example, Columbia, Wharton and Kellogg all have student clubs for pet owners, which have pet-related events and can serve as pet-sitting resources for times when you need to travel. You may want to contact the student officers of these groups and just chat with them about some of your questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
My dog is pretty good and currently hangs out in the house without a problem for 10 hours a day which isn't preferable but how it goes lately. She has never been boarded except at the vet where she freaks out, but I could imagine she would be fine in a location where they give her attention. I plan to live biking distance from school, but I can't speak to what my schedule is going to be like and I imagine in the first year it can get pretty busy but I can find time to run home. The real concern is longer term trips and to be honest I would hate for my dog to dictate what internships or opportunities I can take advantage of.

Becky
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
tigerbeck, I'm actually in the same boat as you. I plan to bring my dog to my school, but I'm also a bit worried about the internship with a dog. My dog can go on without any trouble for 13-15 hours if he has to, but I definitely plan to go home mid-day everyday to take him out. Going to school while taking care of a dog won't be too hard, but the internship part is going to be hell. I haven't exactly figured out what I'm going to do yet, but one thing I know for sure - I won't let my dog dictate what internships I get. Once you land your dream internship, there will be a way to take care of your dog - if there's a will there's a way. Boarding does drain your wallet out, but that's why you have an internship in the first place - to learn and to make money. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know I love my dog and will take him with me, but I'll cross the bridge when I get there in terms of internship/boarding/pet-sitter situations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I'm sure if a school's partner's club includes children, I don't see why pets aren't included. I would reach out to current students to see how they deal with this issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Almost everyone that I know that has a dog also has a significant other as well. Some of them are students married to/dating other students, but it seems most people have been able to make it work. I find that a lot of people here will actually volunteer to dog sit for short periods of time, so that's generally not an issue. I guess it depends on your internship, but you can probably take it with you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I brought my dog into school on a pretty regular basis. I had friends with little dogs that always had them around. A 90lb dog is a little different than a dog in a purse. However, my dog enjoyed Jacobs on numerous occasions and was well liked by a lot of my friends/classmates. Faculty never seemed to have an issue with her, since she was very well behaved and would just lay behind a table while i worked.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
tigerbeck wrote:
I was wondering what people do with pets in B-school. I have a dog and she is pretty tolerant of being left in the house all day, but I am concerned about internship/travel situations. I know some schools require all first years complete an international project for example, what would I do with her then? Obviously there is boarding, but long term boarding (2 weeks+) is harder to find.

Becky

I am watching one of our classmates dogs right now. Most of the time the dog owners will know the other dog owners. If we are going on a trip we figure out a way for someone else in the group to watch the dogs. Obviously it makes it a little inconvenient, but I don't see it as a true problem.

For example, for fall break, the same classmate took a trip to San Fran from saturday to thursday morning, then we gave her both her dog and our dog on thursday morning and went on our trip thursday afternoon to sunday.

Just try to set up a dog owners meet up early in the year and that would help. It's also a great way to bond with people outside of your section/cohort/team/house (whatever your school calls it)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Marketing and Finance (Business Marketing Academy)
Schools:Kelley Class of 2013
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I have a chocolate lab and no significant other (other than my lab ;-) ). I have used dog walkers in the past to come for a mid-day walk (I feel too guilty if she has to wait an entire work day for a walk). I've already scoped out dog walkers in Bloomington and my plan is to have them come 1-2x a day Mon-Fri during the regular academic weeks, and like lots of professional dog walkers, have options when you are away for some time. You can have them come 3-4x a day to walk your dog, feed them, etc. So, that is my plan. I boarded my dog once (incidentally at what was considered the best/yuppiest boarding facility in Chicago and my lab fount it pretty traumatic, so I will never ever board again.

Cheers,
Tom
GMAT Club Bot