Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [4]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain ch [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain chemicals, is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one to learn new information, and improve memory even in old age.

A. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one
B. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because of improving brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one
C. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves ability of one's brain to adapt and change, allowing him
D. is specially critical in enhancement of cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability in adapting and changing, allowing one
E. is specially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because of improving brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one

Source: Experts Global

I go with A

C is wrong because of "allowing him" and D is wrong because of the idiom "ability to". Among the other options, I think that because is better than because of in this sentence
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain ch [#permalink]
'Ability to' is the correct Idiom: C and D are wrong

'Because of Improving' is idiomatically incorrect: B and E are wrong.

Ans A

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain ch [#permalink]
pushpitkc wrote:
Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain chemicals, is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one to learn new information, and improve memory even in old age.

A. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one -- best option as per me.
B. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because of improving brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one --what is improving brain's ability ?
C. is especially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because it improves ability of one's brain to adapt and change, allowing him -- allowing him but not allowing her :) funny. "Ability of" is incorrect idiom.
D. is specially critical in enhancement of cognitive abilities because it improves brain's ability in adapting and changing, allowing one -- "ability in" is incorrect idiom
E. is specially critical in enhancing cognitive abilities because of improving brain's ability to adapt and change, allowing one -- Again what is or who is improving brain's ability ?

Source: Experts Global

I remember i did some SC OG question, which had split between especially and specially. I think option with "especially" was correct in that SC problem. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between especially and specially.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Can someone please explain the different usage of "Especially" and "Specially"
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Physical exercise, proven to intensify the effects of helpful brain ch [#permalink]
Expert Reply
LoneSurvivor wrote:
Can someone please explain the different usage of "Especially" and "Specially"

"Especially" is generally the preferred adverb; you will probably never see "specially" winning over "especially".

"Special" is the preferred adjective.

In other words,
"special" is preferred for the "adjective" usage and "especially" is preferred (over especially) for the "adverb" usage.

However, GMAT will not test you on only this rule; there would be other, meaty concepts involved, as is the case with this question.

Here is the video explanation for this problem-

All the best!
Experts' Global team

Originally posted by Maxximus on 31 Aug 2019, 01:35.
Last edited by Maxximus on 24 May 2021, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
My doubt is about non-underlined portion -- , and improve....why not improves..??

it improves...,and improve???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) CORRECT
B) 'because of' is used to give the effect - the criticality of cognitive abilities does not cause improvement in brain's ability
C) If 'one' is used in the sentence, 'him' can't be used
D) 'especially' and 'specially' mean the same - so no error, 'in adapting' - wrong
E) Same as B
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
himanshubhardwaj

It is because, "improve" & "learn" are not standalone verbs. They are showing the intent "to+verb", which again is a part of the result, of a previous action.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9243 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pushpitkc wrote:

The above is the "OA", and it's not in English (it needs to say "the brain", and the last comma needs to be deleted, among other issues). There is not a good answer among the choices.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
in A which noun is modified by the pronoun "one"

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts