Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Economics
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is [#permalink]
Can somebody let me know whether I have posted my query in the correct place or else please let me know the exact link where I can post for my SC results

Correct the sentence in {......}

The study showed that carbon dioxide emissions increased much less in the last year than analysts {had expected them to ????and general pollution levels will flatten} out this year.

1) had expected them to ????and general pollution levels will flatten
2) had expected and that general pollution levels would flatten
3) expected they would and that general pollution levels will be flattening
4) expected it to and and general pollution levels would flatten
5) expected and that general pollution levels will have flatten

Mine answer is 1 but confusion is between 1 and 2 but the use of that has prevented me from choosing it.

{Nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in theMormyridae taxon, which includes 203 different species,more than all the other taxons of electric fish combined.}

1) Nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in the Mormyridae taxon, which includes 203 different species, more than all the other taxons of electric fish combined.
2) With 203 different species, that is more than all the other taxons of electric fish combined, the Mormyridae taxon has nearly 20 genera of electric fish that are classified in it.
3) The Mormyridae taxon, with nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in it, it includes more different species than all the other taxons of electric fish combined, 203.
4) While nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in it, the Mormyridae taxon includes 203 different species, which is more than all the other taxons of electric fish combined.
5) More than all the other taxons of electric fish combined, the Mormyridae taxon, with nearly 20 genera of electric fish classified in it, includes 203 different species.

Mine answer is 1 as through POE
2 is nonsensical and comparison is wrong
3 use of FYI in the comparision
4 SV error as first part of the sentence "While nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in it" whom does it refers to
5 FYI used in comparision

Analysis

Meaning

"Nearly 20 genera of electric fish are classified in theMormyridae taxon" -- The Mormyridae taxon classified nearly 20 genera of electric fish

"which includes 203 different species" -- descriptive information or FYI

"more than all the other taxons of electric fish combined" -- compared with

a. The Mormyridae taxon classified nearly 20 genera of electric fish
b. more than all other taxons of elcetric fish combined.

These two are compared I guess.

Please correct me if I am wrong these are the methods I have learnt from Meghna SC session.

It would be really good if Meghna helps in understanding me the solution or anybody using the FYI as Meghna.

Waiting for a reply.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
pritish2301 wrote:
A. due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined - SV issue
B. because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments declined - not parallel with "Has increased"
C. due to weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined - Parallel - But I am a little unsure about the colon being introduced here
D. because of weaker-than-expected demand, declining Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments - "Declining" is not parallel "Increased"
E. because of weaker-than-expected demand that decreased Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments - not parallel with "Has increased"

In real test, I would go with the lesser evil C

But I have two doubts, if someone can help I will be happy.
1. Colon is required while writing a list. Is Apple's share and Samsung's share forming a list here?
2. According to Aristotle SC Grail, generally past perfect is accompanied with "SINCE". Here even though, the "has declined" is parallel with "has steadily increased" is it compliant with Since?

Thanking a lot in advance for your feedback.

Regards,
Pritish

Hi Pritish,

Here are the answers for your doubts:
1. Colon can be used to join two independent clauses. In such structures, the clause after the colon presents detailed information about the clause preceding the colon. So essentially, the part after the colon is the extension of the part before the colon.

Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is due to weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined from 23% to 14% since the last year while Samsung’s share has steadily increased from 8.8% to 31% during the same time period.

In this sentence with the correct answer choice, the clause after the colon describes what has led to “weaker-than-expected demand”. So this construction is correct.

2. With “since” we use “present perfect tense”. This is so because “since” suggests an action that has started sometime in the past and is still continuing. Present perfect tense just does that. Hence, the e-gmat sentence, use of “since” is correct because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments began to decline last year and continues in the present as well. Same holds true about the increase in the Samsung’s share.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Shraddha

I think you are contradicting your statement. Read below error analysis.

Illogical Meaning – The sentence implies that demand if weaker because Apple’s share has declined over a certain time period. The causal relationship in this context does not make much sense since the demand did not become weak because the shipments decreased. In fact the correct relationship should be as follows: Demand has weakened as evidenced by the decrease in number of shipments. So the correct sentence should present such relationship.

And in the explanation of "Colon" you are saying.

In this sentence with the correct answer choice, the clause after the colon describes what has led to “weaker-than-expected demand”. So this construction is correct.

Am i correct? Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
you can not use because of for the nouns, you should use due to so eliminate B,D,E.
'have declined' is wrong at A because Apple's share is singular
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmates wrote:
you can not use because of for the nouns, you should use due to so eliminate B,D,E.
'have declined' is wrong at A because Apple's share is singular

This article may be useful for those who need further explanation:

https://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/10/due-to-vs-because-of/
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
GPA: 3.9
WE:Asset Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
haulem wrote:
the solution is simple

there is always verb before due to and never b4 because of

so left with 2 options
in the 1st option,we need singular verb has instead of have

so left with c,which is correct answer

@e-gmat ?
@
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Is always true that: there is always verb before due to and never b4 because of ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bestaaron55 wrote:
haulem wrote:
the solution is simple

there is always verb before due to and never b4 because of

so left with 2 options
in the 1st option,we need singular verb has instead of have

so left with c,which is correct answer

@e-gmat ?
@
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Is always true that: there is always verb before due to and never b4 because of ?

"Before" or "after" does not matter - a sentence may start with either.
The point is that "due" is an adjective and hence must refer to a noun, whereas "because of' is an adverbial clause and must refer to a verb.

The stoppage was due to rain. ("due to" modifies "stoppage" (noun))
The game stopped because of rain. ("because of" modifies "stopped" (verb))

Note that in either case there is a verb before "due to" / "because of". (One thumb-rule is that being an adjective, "due to" goes with only the verb "to be".)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1122 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone [#permalink]
Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined from 23% to 14% since last year while Samsung’s share has steadily increased from 8.8% to 31% during the same period.  

A) due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined 

B) because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments declined 

C) due to weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined 

D) because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have been declining

E) due to weaker-than-expected demand that decreased Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments

Originally posted by bkpolymers1617 on 09 Sep 2017, 07:45.
Last edited by broall on 09 Sep 2017, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone [#permalink]
1) due to vs because of ---> planned reduction in orders..... iPhone 5 is a noun phase that required DUE TO

If it said orders for components in iPhone5 is planned to reduce ---> need because (no of - since it is dependent phase) Apple's share.... have declined

If it said orders for components in iPhone5 is planned to reduce BECAUSE OF decreased Apple's share of world-wide smartphone

Thus B and D are out

A) out because S-V agreement - Apple's share.... have

E) out parallelism issue - decreased apple's shares... while Samsung's shares has increased

My answer is C

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 378
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
Re: Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone [#permalink]
Dear Experts,

The OA should be C, considering the expression "due to" should be used to modify nouns. Please verify
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined from 23% to 14% since last year while Samsung’s share has steadily increased from 8.8% to 31% during the same period.  

A) due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined 

B) because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments declined 

C) due to weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined 

D) because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have been declining

E) due to weaker-than-expected demand that decreased Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments

Source: Knewton

This question seems to be copied from e-gmat:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/planned-redu ... 46404.html

Merged topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
1)"noun" due to "noun".
2) Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
I have one question here.

In option C, two independent clause are joined by colon which is either not correct here or not tested in this question.
It could be the best choice among these 5 choices but not absolutely correct, isn't it?
Should I ignore such punctuation mistakes in actual GMAT while selecting the best possible answer?

\.
egmat wrote:
Hi Folks,

Let me begin by thankig you all for such analytical responses. Some explanations are pretty good here. These detailed analysis certainly helps us learn in much more efffective manner than just writing the correct answer choice. So here comes the detailed solution of this question.

Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined from 23% to 14% since the last year while Samsung’s share has steadily increased from 8.8% to 31% during the same time period.

• Apple has reduced orders for iPhone 5 components.
• The reason for this decision is weaker-than-expected demand.
• Since last year,
o Apple’s share has declined from 23% to 14%.
o However, Samsung’s share has increased from 8.8% to 31%.

Error Analysis

• Clause 1: Planned reduction in orders for components for the iPhone 5 is due to weaker-than-expected demand
• Clause 2: because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined from 23% to 14% since the last year
• Clause 3: while Samsung’s share has steadily increased from 8.8% to 31% during the same time period.

Error 1 – Illogical Meaning – The sentence implies that demand if weaker because Apple’s share has declined over a certain time period. The causal relationship in this context does not make much sense since the demand did not become weak because the shipments decreased. In fact the correct relationship should be as follows: Demand has weakened as evidenced by the decrease in number of shipments. So the correct sentence should present such relationship.

Error 2 - Plural verb “have declined” does not agree in number with singular subject “Apple’s share”.

PoE

A. due to weaker-than-expected demand because Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments have declined: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B. because of weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments declined: Incorrect.

Correct Part – This choice uses correct construction to express the logical intended meaning. The clause after the colon is used to present the idea that explains the weaker than expected demand.
Error 1 – Use of “because of” is incorrect because it modifies the noun entity “Planned reduction”. “Due to” should be used to modify nouns.
Error 2 – Use of past tense “declined” is incorrect because the word “since” has been used to present the sequencing decline in shipments started in the recent past and may still be continuing. Hence we need present perfect tense.

C. due to weaker-than-expected demand: Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments has declined: Correct Answer

D. because of weaker-than-expected demand, declining Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments: Incorrect.

Error 1 – Use of “because of” is incorrect because it modifies the noun entity “Planned reduction”.
Error 2 – The comma + verb-ing modifier “declining” modifies the preceding clause. It presents the result of the modified clause. This modification is illogical as discussed in original choice.

E. because of weaker-than-expected demand that decreased Apple’s share of world-wide smartphone shipments: Incorrect.

Error 1 – Use of “because of” is incorrect because it modifies the noun entity “Planned reduction”.
Error 2 – Use of past tense “decreased” is not correct. We need present perfect.
Error 3 – Illogical meaning. This choice implies that weaker than expected demand decreased Apple’s share of shipments. This is not logical intended meaning.

1. “Because of” cannot be used to refer to a noun entity. Use of “Due to” is correct for such usages.
2. Subject and Verb must agree in number with each other.
3. Use present perfect tense with “since”, when “since” is used to present sequencing.
4. Comma + Verb-ing modifies the preceding clause. It either presents additional information about the preceding clause or it presents the result of the preceding clause.

Thanks. :)
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi e-gmat team,

Can you help me understand why "Planned reduction" is a noun entity?

Isnt noun defined as an entity which is characterized as a name, place, animal or a thing?

Thanks,
Rishab

Hello rishabtaneja,

Thank you for reaching out to us through PM.

I apologize for the late revert.

The phrase Planned reduction is a noun phrase because the word Planned is an adjective that presents some information about the noun reduction. The word reduction is an abstract noun - a noun that does not have a physical presence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts