GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 13:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V38
GPA: 3.1
Reviews Badge
Re: Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 06:44
Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution. A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles. In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the logic employed by the city planners?

BID :- Sycamore Trees will reverse the trend

Missing Info :- The Sycamore trees can take pollution of both Air and Water

Weakening Prephrase :- Since they already are resistant to Air CO, this has to be Water to weaken it

a) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years. :- Nope Irrelavant
b) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants. :- 180 it strengthens, or rather more irrelevant
c) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities. Irrelevant
d) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system. Good for city still it has some pollution
e) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain. Yes this is it they cant stand the acid rain
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 09:08
Sorry but still not convinced of how E is the OA.

Outside the scope is good weakener then Its clear that Acid rain also contains water or for that matter many more components other that sulphur dioxide,so it can be possible that those components negate the effect of Sulphur dioxide on Sycamore trees as nothing is told about the effect of water on Sycamore trees.

Moreover Increased water & air pollution are not the only reasons for Acid Rain.There are other factors as well like--

FYI even volcano eruption causes acid rain.

Sorry for being so harsh but the above explanations are not justifiale.Please provide OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 11:47
Premise 1:- Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the city were dying because of exposure to increased levels of air and water pollution.
Premise 2:- A study they commissioned revealed that sycamore trees actually thrive in environments with elevated levels of carbon monoxide, the main pollutant emitted by automobiles.
Conclusion : - In order to reverse the trend of dying trees, the city adopted a policy to replace all sick trees with sycamore trees.
Note the underlined portion of the premise. This being a weaken question, the stimulus is the suspect while all choices are true but only one would weaken the reasoning behind the conclusion, which is the premise.

a) In the forest, oak trees live an average of 70 years while sycamore trees only live for an average of 50 years. - The argument is about cities and also there is significant difference in nature of pollution in forest vs cities hence out of scope choice.
b) Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants. - They are developing but not yet tested and succeeded. Hence will not weaken the argument. Also note the underlined portion of the premise 1 as trees as susceptible to air and water pollution this point talks only about a remedy for air pollution.
c) A survey by Urban Forests found that the sycamore is the most common tree in American cities - This may strengthen the argument hence opposite answer eliminate it.
d) The city recently installed low exhaust buses for its public transportation system - Similar to choice (B) Also note the underlined portion of the premise 1 as trees as susceptible to air and water pollution this point talks only about a remedy for air pollution. hence eliminate.
e) Sycamore trees are extremely sensitive to sulfur dioxide, the main component of acid rain. - Perfect! This one weakens the argument. The argument states that Sycamore trees are resistant to a certain kind of air pollution but this statement says they are susceptible another kind of air/water pollution which is acid rain while they are resistant only to carbon monoxide. Correct Answer is this!

Choice E is the right one.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 20:54
Earlier while reading the question, my prethinking mind started on the course of --
'oh wait, what if pollution isnt coming from carbon monoxide which these sycamore trees can withstand and so how come planting trees is going to help reduce pollution? '
Well , I was going into a wrong cycle and using that cycle E does not seem to be a good option.
However, the key to these questions 'weaken' is which option weakens the conclusion? The conclusion is that these new trees will reverse the trend of dying trees.

This is true, the conclusion isnt that pollution will be reversed or anything-- the pollution may remain --.
Only E says that these trees may also have a chance of dying quicker because of acid rain. This actually weakens among all other bad choices.

Another choice that tempted me was B--That automobile manufacturers may introduce more efficient vehicles, reducing air pollution.
This choice is irrelevant to the central argument -- planting sycamore trees will reverse the trend of dying trees.

The most important thing with these questions is the central argument. As long as we can stay close to it, we are better off!
Current Student
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 09:00
Well I am not completely convinced with the OA. Why cant we think of option B in this way?
Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants--> Carbon monoxide emission significantly reduces--> Hence Sycamore trees will find it difficult to thrive in the environment --> which in turn weakens the conclusion that Govt will be successful in its strategy to reverse the cycle of dying trees !
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '18
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 09:34
T700ISB wrote:
Well I am not completely convinced with the OA. Why cant we think of option B in this way?
Automobile manufacturers are developing newer car models that emit significantly fewer pollutants--> Carbon monoxide emission significantly reduces--> Hence Sycamore trees will find it difficult to thrive in the environment --> which in turn weakens the conclusion that Govt will be successful in its strategy to reverse the cycle of dying trees !

My counter to you
1. Not thriving doesn't mean the trees will die. Maybe their growth, health will be hampered
2. Emissions/car will reduce but you don't know whether the total no of vehicles will remain same
3. E is best among the lot as it explicitly mentions that these trees cannot withstand acid rain

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 04:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 04:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Planners in City X noticed that many of the trees in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics