GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Marshall & McDonough Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1677
Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jan 2019, 05:17
3
21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:02) correct 35% (02:18) wrong based on 669 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.

Similar question but with a different boldfaced part: [LINK1] [LINK2]

Originally posted by Vyshak on 06 Jun 2017, 19:47.
Last edited by Bunuel on 23 Jan 2019, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1026
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 21:33
Imo C
D and E can be ruled out safely
A is out because the argument gives a judgement not context.
B is also out

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________
Please give kudos if you find my answers useful
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 233
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2019, 10:39
Vyshak wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.

Similar question but with a different boldfaced part: [LINK1] [LINK2]



The conclusion is :- Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. It starts with "thus" conclusion marker.

"However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread" --> This sentence weakens the conclusion...

Since neither of the boldfaced parts is the conclusion , option A is out.

So option C is correct.

Only option A and C are close.

VeritasKarishma mikemcgarry GMATNinja.. Is my explanation correct ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 143
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 04:02
Hi

Can anyone please comment in the light of this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... 65010.html I agree that it's broad, but the gist of the post is that the second BF can be the main conclusion of the argument. So why is A wrong? There must be something tangible, concrete in order to eliminate it, and right now I don't see clearly why A should be out. Moreover, is this really a GMATprep question, or it's just a some kind of recreation using the information of an official material?

Thanks

gmat1393 GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2019
Posts: 84
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2019, 22:26
This was reproduced incorrectly, which is why people are picking A. The boldface here encompasses more of the text that the official version of this question.

Posted from my mobile device
CR Forum Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 25 Apr 2018
Posts: 653
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 03:31
jawele wrote:
Hi

Can anyone please comment in the light of this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/plant-scient ... 65010.html I agree that it's broad, but the gist of the post is that the second BF can be the main conclusion of the argument. So why is A wrong? There must be something tangible, concrete in order to eliminate it, and right now I don't see clearly why A should be out. Moreover, is this really a GMATprep question, or it's just a some kind of recreation using the information of an official material?

Thanks

gmat1393 GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354


Hi jawele,

For a Bold face CR both the parts of the option should be correct.

Option A is a typical incorrect option pattern in which one part is right and the other part is not.
First part of option A is wrong since the first bolded part does not provide context for the argument rather it presents a circumstance that the argument is against of.

Hope this helps!
_________________
Please give kudos if you found my posts helpful!

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 30 Sep 2017
Posts: 143
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2019, 04:41
Hi gmat1393

Thanks for getting to my question. I beg to differ about the first BF. I disagree that "it presents a circumstance that the argument is against of" as you claim. The author disagrees with the portion that "Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer." Though true that it may not compensate, the author introduces additional information that shows that it can be profitable.

The author, I feel that it's reasonable to assume so, agrees with first BF because I can't find his disagreement with the claim that "the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones". And since the author agrees with that BF, it can be said that it provides the context for the argument. In particular, the fact that although "the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones", "consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, [so] the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread".

Please comment
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 694
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2019, 03:04
Vyshak wrote:
Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce crop plants that are highly resistant to insect damage. Unfortunately, the seeds themselves are quite expensive, and the plants require more fertilizer and water to grow well than normal ones. Thus, for most farmers the savings on pesticides would not compensate for the higher seed costs and the cost of additional fertilizer. However, since consumer demand for grains, fruits, and vegetables grown without the use of pesticides continues to rise, the use of genetically engineered seeds of this kind is likely to become widespread.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?


(A) The first supplies a context for the argument; the second is the argument's main conclusion.

(B) The first introduces a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second is a state of affairs that the argument denies will be part of that outcome.

(C) The first presents a development that the argument predicts will have a certain outcome; the second acknowledges a consideration that weighs against that prediction.

(D) The first provides evidence to support a prediction that the argument seeks to defend; the second is that prediction.

(E) The first and the second each provide evidence to support the argument's main conclusion.



HI GMATNinja, generis, VeritasPrepErika

Can you throw some light on this Boldfaced question?
_________________
आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 20 Nov 2016
Posts: 262
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 18:07
NandishSS wrote:
HI GMATNinja, generis, VeritasPrepErika

Can you throw some light on this Boldfaced question?

JDF wrote:
This was reproduced incorrectly, which is why people are picking A. The boldface here encompasses more of the text that the official version of this question.

Posted from my mobile device

If anyone sees this specific version of the question in the GMAT Prep software, please let us know whether it has been transcribed accurately.

In the meantime, please refer to this similar question, which is definitely an official question from the GMAT Prep software.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2019, 18:07
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Plant scientists have used genetic engineering on seeds to produce cro

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne