GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 27 Jun 2019, 01:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 10:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:17) correct 47% (01:20) wrong based on 536 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 56: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was the longest time for a chess game ever recorded.

(A) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was

(B) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes,

(C) Arsovic, which lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, was

(D) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, being

(E) Arsovic, lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, and was

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 11:30
Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was the longest time for a chess game ever recorded.

(A) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was ( and introduce another clause, making an information equivalent to a independent clause)

(B) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes,( correct,phrase correctly modifies 20 hrs 15 min )

(C) Arsovic, which lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, was( which incorrectly modifies Arsovic, change in meaning, game was not the longest time)

(D) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, being( use of being is incorrect)

(E) Arsovic, lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, and was( no subject for second independent clause)

Will go with choice B

Thanks
B
Re: Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 11:37

Meaning: Played in X, the famous game between A and B lasted for 20 hrs. This amount of time was longest ever recorded.

Elimination:

it ---> Game or time??

A, details, and was ---> missing verb for Arsovic

being --> Avoid awkward usage!

These last two options contributed to 1 min of my 1.30 min of my answering process.
Did Arsovic last for 20 hr and 15 min? Or was it the game?

P.S: I've marked B, but found C would make a better choice!
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Jan 2019, 12:23

Meaning analysis: if we decipher the sentence: there was one famous game:
- played in Belgrade;
- game was between Ivan Nikolic and Goran Arsovic;
- lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes (the longest time ever recorded)

Error analysis: the first question here any antecedent for “it”?, logically “it” refers to "some time", hence period of played game (20 hours and 15 minutes)

("it" has no antecedent and distorts the meaning)

(“lasted” is the main verb of the subject “famous game”, “the longest time for a chess game ever recorded” is the noun+noun modifier that modifies “20 hours and 15 minutes”)

(“which” illogically modifies preceding noun “Goran Arsovic”, “which” CANNOT go over “between Ivan Nikolic and Goran Arsovic” and modify “game”, also meaing was distorted, "the game" cannot be "the longest time")

(per GMAT rules being can be used in 2 cases: 1) as a noun; 2) as part of past continuous verb tense, this answer choice is not under this rule)

(“and was” makes this part of the sentence // to “lasted” hence totally distorts the meaning of the sentence)

So B is correct

(please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, thank you)

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.

Originally posted by GKomoku on 01 Jan 2019, 11:40.
Last edited by GKomoku on 01 Jan 2019, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 11:41
sonusaini1 I have marked B, but I am of mind that Option C is correct.

Structure of C: In B, the game between X and Y, which lasted.
So which---> modifies the game. Can you point me to resources if I missed any?

GKomoku
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 12:22
sm86 wrote:
sonusaini1 I have marked B, but I am of mind that Option C is correct.

Structure of C: In B, the game between X and Y, which lasted.
So which---> modifies the game. Can you point me to resources if I missed any?

GKomoku

sm86

yes, your structure of the sentense is correct, but now meaning has changed,
now you have the famous game was the longest time for a chess game ever recorded
it doesn't make any sence

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 12:43
IMO B

(A) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was ----Incorrect, It hasn no antecedant

(B) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes,---Correct, Noun + noun modifier, modifying 20 hrs and 15 minutes

(C) Arsovic, which lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, was--Incorrect, which cannot refer to human beings

(D) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, being--> Incorrect, being usage as modifier is wrong

(E) Arsovic, lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, and was---> Incorrect, Subject of was does not make sense.

kudos

Be very critical of my Post
Ask as many questions of my post possible
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2019, 21:48
IMO: B
Usage of and is incorrect here as these two are not independent things.

(A) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was [Parallelism Error and Usage of was is incorrect as it is still the longest time for a chess game]

(B) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, [Correct use of Modifier]

(C) Arsovic, which lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, was [Usage of was is incorrect as It still is the longest time for a chess game]

(D) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, being [Incorrect usage of being]

(E) Arsovic, lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes, and was [Usage of was is incorrect]
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 08:59
sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 56: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

First of all longest ever recorded should modify the time not the game itself.

A - what is precedent for it ? - incorrect

B - the longest modifies the time - Correct

C - again it says game was the longest time - incorrect

D - being is used as verbing modifier - incorrect

E - and was is another clause without noun - incorrect
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 10:37
Official Explanation :

Two independent clauses should be connected either by a semicolon or a comma and a conjunction. While the underlined portion of the sentence contains a conjunction, and, it lacks a comma. Eliminate choice (A).

Choice (B) corrects the original error and does not make any further errors, so keep (B).

Choice (C), if read in context, says that the famous game ....was the longest time; eliminate (C).

Choice (D) incorrectly uses being as a participle; eliminate (D).

Choice (E) uses an unnecessary and; eliminate (E). The correct answer choice is (B).

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 11:04
Modifier of Game, The Game between X and Y lasted for 20hrs and 15 mins, Modifer of 20hrs:15mins
B
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Analyst (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 20:20
Appreciate if anyone could shed some light on why relative pronoun, in this case, cannot jump and modify "the famous game". (I am talking about option C. Though this option is logically wrong, I am trying to acquaint myself with relative pronoun traps)

Experts in the house, please help-

generis
D
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2019, 21:04
Narrowed it to down to A and B,
However the subtle difference of the usage of "it", makes B option correct.
It should refer to something that is mentioned before. Non underlined part already mentions chess game , hence it in A can not refer to chess game, making B the only correct option
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2019, 01:04
I've chosen "C" at the beginning, but, here is what I think. If anybody has any comment on it please do.

(A) Arsovic lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes and it was .
"it" denotes whom here: game or time itself? use of "Lasted" looks fine. Incorrect.
I couldn't comprehend that "The longest time for.." can be a modifier of noun "time noun", in this case, "20 hours and 15 minutes". Correct.
"which..blah blah.." is a clause. Read it as: the game was the longest time for chess. Now, It looks awkward. the game can't be the longest time. Only time can the longest time. The game can be the longest game. Incorrect
Using "Being" is not ok for Gmat
-didn't choose because :
1. lasted for 20 hours and 15 minutes: a participial phrase or a verb (predicate)?
if verb (predicate) then should not have a comma.
if phrase then ", and ," should not be there.
GMAT Club Bot
Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2019, 01:04

Played in Belgrade, the famous game between Ivan Nikolic and Goran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics