GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 09 Apr 2020, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 10:28
Hi Guys!

I just got my admission offer from Wharton!
I applied to Tuck in Round 1 and got in with a $60 K scholarship. I had to deposit my enrolment fee for Tuck before I heard back from Wharton.
My husband applied to Tuck in Round 2 and also got in, but did not get any scholarship from Tuck so far.

My short term ambition is to get into Tech Consulting (So I can quickly pay off my loan).
In the longer term I plan to work for a Tech giant and eventually launch my own tech startup.

I am a US national but have been living in Pakistan, where I have been working for the past 4 years but due to the ever increasing exchange rates have almost negligible savings in USD.
My husband has his immigration petition approved and is waiting for his green card.

I am super confused about what I should do.
Will really appreciate any help you guys could provide to help in decision making or the steps I can or should take:

- My husband should apply to Wharton in round 3? (deadline has been extended to April 15th)
- I should appeal for a scholarship to Wharton? (any suggestions as to how and what to write)
- I should appeal to Tuck to increase my scholarship by leveraging Wharton decision?
- My husband should go to Tuck & I go to Wharton (and try our best to make things work)

Thanks!

M
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 10:37
Congratulations!!! Fantastic results and great job on the scholarship.

I think it would make sense for you and your husband to attend the same business school. I would get your husband to apply to Wharton and I would figure out a way (before April 15th) to drop a line to the Wharton admissions team to let them know that your husband is applying and even though both of you have been admitted to Tuck with one scholarship, you have your hope for Wharton.

I would have him apply for a few reasons including the uncertainty with the coronavirus. The more options you can have the better. Some schools have been allowing they are admitted students to differ for a year in case they have issues with visa paperwork and also to get refunds of their round two deposits. This is only Tepper at this time But there’s a very good chance of the business schools will adopt similar policies. This may play to your benefit in case you decide to switch to Wharton. If there is time and resources, I would apply in around three.

If your husband doesn’t get into Wharton, I would not attend two separate business calls. Wharton is great in tech but Tuck is great in consulting and you have a scholarship. It is slightly odd that you guys did not apply to the same set of schools. What were you thinking? Were you planning to be a part? Was Wharton a crazy fluke :-)

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 10:59
bb wrote:
What were you thinking? Were you planning to be a part? Was Wharton a crazy fluke :-)

Hahahaha nope! We recently got married and were aiming for similar schools as we both have similar post MBA interests.
He had tough luck with the GMAT till mid Dec because of which he couldn't apply in Round 1 and had to pick schools for Round 2 with very stringent deadlines!
I applied to HBS, GSB & Wharton in round 2. Got dinged by HBS & GSB and Wharton reached out today ^_^

[quote="bb"] I would figure out a way (before April 15th) to drop a line to the Wharton admissions team to let them know that your husband is applying and even though both of you have been admitted to Tuck with one scholarship, you have your hope for Wharton.

I was thinking on those lines too! Any suggestions as to how to actually mention them! An appeal letter for scholarship or set up a phone call type with the ad-com?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 11:02
These things are usually decided by a committee or several people weighing in and you are unlikely to talk to the decision-maker right away. Therefore I would recommend sending an email. You can see my post about negotiating a scholarship though it’s kind of hard to negotiate a scholarship when your husband is not yet in but it’s worth a shot and a try during these strange times :-)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

B

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 18:42
I agree with bb. As newlyweds, you definitely do not want to spend such a significant amount of time apart. I would highly recommend your husband apply to Wharton. If he does not get admitted, then I would recommend you both attend Tuck. Like bb said, Tuck is great in consulting. I think you would both be perfectly happy there.

Congrats on the admit(s) to both of you!

Manager
Manager
S
Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2020, 19:55
The other option is divorce, then you can go to Wharton and he can go to Tuck if he likes.

Sorry, messing with you.

While the schools are good and Wharton is the clear winner between the two, it’ll be interesting to see how companies plan for the next 3-4 years.

At my current clients like, I have two auto makers - one in Detroit and the other Japanese and the third being a restaurant chain. They’ve all decided to half their spending and I saw some emails flying around today for hiring freeze for 3-4 months
Additionally at another luxury company I know they’re talking about 20% layoff

So it’ll be hard to say how they’ll do when you graduate in 2 years.
GMAT Club Bot
Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2020, 19:55

Please Advice! Wharton vs Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status