Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
GMAT 2: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate my profile [#permalink]
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey utkmittal1,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

The first thing you can do to improve your profile is to have some sort of goal in mind. It's not really appropriate to apply to business school or even consider it if you don't have any sort of short-term and long-term goals in mind. As you know, the MBA is an education that will allow you to go from where you are today, to where you want to be in the future. It does this by providing you the skills, experience and relationships necessary for you to do so. This being said, I need to know about your background, as well as your future goals. You have provided me some baseline information about where you are today. However, in order for me to provide you with an assessment of what schools you may want to consider applying to, I need to know what your future goals are – both short and long-term. Please provide me this information and I will be glad to provide you some direction.

Other than that, retake the GMAT if you feel you can do better on the Q and V sections, as well as the IR. To be clear, I do think that you should retake the GMAT because the IR is pretty low - low enough to be noticed if you are "on the bubble".

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for replying. I am at the initial stage of my MBA application process...just done with GMAT and nothing much. My short term and long term goals are :

SHORT TERM GOAL
Post MBA, I plan to join a top power sector company such as Siemens and ABB that deals with renewable energy. I wish to utilize my pre-MBA technical experience and leanings at the B-school to shape my post MBA career. I can work as a project manager for a solar or wind power project.

LONG TERM GOAL
In long term, I wish to work as a renewable energy consultant. I can utilize my experience from the company I will work for to understand the markets for renewable energy establishments such as solar and wind power projects.

I have also written my work-experience in detail.

Construction of 400 kV double circuit transmission line
• Dealt with Forest Department and State electricity board officials to arrange required clearances.
• Dealt with farmers to clear right of way issues faced during the different stages of project.
• Handled the work of compensation disbursement to the affected farmers.
• Ensured availability of tools and plants for timely execution of work.
• Planning at different stages to minimize the project completion time.
Commissioning of 02 Nos. 765 kV Transmission lines and 07 Nos. Shunt reactors
• Commissioned the
• Managed the oil filtration process and erection work and conducted testing of all the reactors.
• Obtained clearance from Central Electricity Authority for energization of reactors.
• Monitored progress on daily basis and incorporated modifications in planning to reduce the time required for completion by at least 10 days.
• Ensured safety of employees and labor and achieved zero major or minor accidents
Operation and Maintenance of 765 kV Substation
• Currently serving as Engineer in charge of the substation protection and automation systems.
• Maintained 100 percent success rate of transmission line Auto-reclose so as to ensure maximum possible availability of lines.
• Assessed the areas of training required and conducted several trainings for subordinates.
• Developed a dummy protection and automation system that is being used as aid to training of operation and maintenance staff.
• Planned outages of transmission lines and equipment for annual maintenance activities ensuring maximum availability.
• Procured tools and plants and testing kits necessary for maintenance works.

I hope the above information will help you understand better about my profile.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
thanks for providing the additional information. You are going to be more than competitive at the schools that you list. Just make sure that you fulfill the requirements for any one-year program in the United States. For example, Kellogg has a fairly long list of prerequisite courses that you will need to complete before even setting foot on campus.

I like your goals primarily because they directly leverage your current experiences. Business schools are not big fans of career changers – especially at one-year programs. Be sure to look at the career center reports for each individual school. do the companies you list – e.g. Siemens – recruit at INSEAD or Kellogg? what about the oil and gas practices of McKinsey, Bain or BCG? What percentage of graduates from school X or Y are going into energy?
Just make sure that any industry roles or related companies recruit at the school in question – else you will look like you are sailing a ship up the wrong river.

Respectfully,
Paul

utkmittal1 wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey utkmittal1,

Thanks for reaching out to me.

The first thing you can do to improve your profile is to have some sort of goal in mind. It's not really appropriate to apply to business school or even consider it if you don't have any sort of short-term and long-term goals in mind. As you know, the MBA is an education that will allow you to go from where you are today, to where you want to be in the future. It does this by providing you the skills, experience and relationships necessary for you to do so. This being said, I need to know about your background, as well as your future goals. You have provided me some baseline information about where you are today. However, in order for me to provide you with an assessment of what schools you may want to consider applying to, I need to know what your future goals are – both short and long-term. Please provide me this information and I will be glad to provide you some direction.

Other than that, retake the GMAT if you feel you can do better on the Q and V sections, as well as the IR. To be clear, I do think that you should retake the GMAT because the IR is pretty low - low enough to be noticed if you are "on the bubble".

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for replying. I am at the initial stage of my MBA application process...just done with GMAT and nothing much. My short term and long term goals are :

SHORT TERM GOAL
Post MBA, I plan to join a top power sector company such as Siemens and ABB that deals with renewable energy. I wish to utilize my pre-MBA technical experience and leanings at the B-school to shape my post MBA career. I can work as a project manager for a solar or wind power project.

LONG TERM GOAL
In long term, I wish to work as a renewable energy consultant. I can utilize my experience from the company I will work for to understand the markets for renewable energy establishments such as solar and wind power projects.

I have also written my work-experience in detail.

Construction of 400 kV double circuit transmission line
• Dealt with Forest Department and State electricity board officials to arrange required clearances.
• Dealt with farmers to clear right of way issues faced during the different stages of project.
• Handled the work of compensation disbursement to the affected farmers.
• Ensured availability of tools and plants for timely execution of work.
• Planning at different stages to minimize the project completion time.
Commissioning of 02 Nos. 765 kV Transmission lines and 07 Nos. Shunt reactors
• Commissioned the
• Managed the oil filtration process and erection work and conducted testing of all the reactors.
• Obtained clearance from Central Electricity Authority for energization of reactors.
• Monitored progress on daily basis and incorporated modifications in planning to reduce the time required for completion by at least 10 days.
• Ensured safety of employees and labor and achieved zero major or minor accidents
Operation and Maintenance of 765 kV Substation
• Currently serving as Engineer in charge of the substation protection and automation systems.
• Maintained 100 percent success rate of transmission line Auto-reclose so as to ensure maximum possible availability of lines.
• Assessed the areas of training required and conducted several trainings for subordinates.
• Developed a dummy protection and automation system that is being used as aid to training of operation and maintenance staff.
• Planned outages of transmission lines and equipment for annual maintenance activities ensuring maximum availability.
• Procured tools and plants and testing kits necessary for maintenance works.

I hope the above information will help you understand better about my profile.
GMAT Club Bot